Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 01:08 AM

378 posts, read 1,206,625 times

Advertisements

There's Riverbend (built in 1980's I would guess) and I saw right next door was riverbend landing, with new construction in the last couple years. Some may not be finished yet. It's a smaller subdivision just down the street from Riverbend.

Also it occurs to me that University Club South might be along the lines of what you are looking for. It would be an easy commute downtown on Nicholson and the houses are certainly nice, and newer. I believe its zoned for St. Gabriel (Ascension) schools so that may or may not be a plus. Definately not much diversity here though.

Out of my two Asian friends here in BR, that had children, one lives off of Siegen and kids are enrolled in Christian Life Academy. And the other lives in Zachary and kids go to public schools. I would think you would want yours in magnet/A.P. programs but I don't know how old they are. Maybe you won't have to worry for a while yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 11:19 AM

96 posts, read 338,360 times
CCL is not that too far. Not sure where you work but from CCL to LSU is like 20min with some traffic. Now with the Perkins Expansion is not so bad to pretty much anywhere.

Riverbend is OK, but I did hear of folks getting water from under their foundations last year that the river was cresting pretty high (you are right next to the levee down there). Down there you still have Lexington (if you don’t mind living with construction for the next 5+ years; some good deals available there right now) or University Club (occasionally gated; don’t get the point of that) which is nice but still growing (the only really good deal I saw there was REO a while back)

The Corporate / Bocage area is too expensive and you don’t get much. I don’t see the point in any of those 1-street macmansion mini-subdivision there, or the hyper expensive homes that you still have to update, plus there are no amenities available in subdivisions of that area.

Lakes at Highland is a very nice one though. Exclusive but not gated, the POA is competitive (very active and for now up there since I believe they have a loan on the club house etc.).

I don't think you can't get any better than CCL (depends on what you are looking for of course) but it pretty much is the only man-gated subdivision in the region, not to mention the grounds are kept in pristine condition (the POA is up there at a national level, has its own property management office) and the dues are no higher than most other POAs cause it is shared with the golf club, and well most folks in there do keep their properties in nice shape so prices are pretty stable.

There are some homes that may have dated interiors and that is why they sell lower than the others in there; but that only means you can get some really good deals that way. Right now I think you could even get an updated home or one that only needs minor stuff and you are set. Everything in there is top notch.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:22 AM

96 posts, read 338,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbean View Post
There's Riverbend (built in 1980's I would guess) and I saw right next door was riverbend landing, with new construction in the last couple years. Some may not be finished yet. It's a smaller subdivision just down the street from Riverbend.
Yep, Riverbend Landing looks good on paper but a drive by it and you soon realize why those homes don't sell :-)

Old 07-10-2009, 11:23 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,464,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by champa View Post
Riverbend is OK, but I did hear of folks getting water from under their foundations last year that the river was cresting pretty high (you are right next to the levee down there). .
Good point - I heard stories about residents who had water seeping into their homes. For those who aren't from BR, Riverbend is a neighborhood near the Miss River in a natural flood plain. When the Miss River was high, you have the potential of sand boils forming in people's yards and/or saturated soil causing some oozing. Which is a shame - Roverbend is the ideal downtown commute.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:45 AM

2 posts, read 3,469 times
All of these negative posts about Riverbend Landing are over two years old? Does anyone know if any of these issues have been resolved? It looks like a great commute to LSU. Any new info/comments? Thank you.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:50 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times
Traffic will increase substantially in the next 5 years.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:17 PM

2 posts, read 3,469 times
Why? Could you please elaborate? I need to buy a house in Baton Rouge and commute to LSU. I want my investment to appreciate. Thank you very much.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:27 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times
I'm sure it will appreciate. If you look at all the new growth in the area, it's obvious traffic will soar. L'Auberge will attract more hotels, gas stations, etc, which will attract even more upscale subdivisions, and student apartments, etc. Traffic anywhere in the parish will be bad though, so it's still a sound investment.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:09 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,686,652 times
There is an expansion of Nicholson Drive and an expansion of the Nicholson/West Lee/Brightside intersection on the drawing board. When that begins, it could worsen traffic for Brightside residents in the short run, but benefit them in the long run. And of course, River Road will remain a viable alternative during construction.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:43 PM

12 posts, read 17,424 times
Havent read the whole thread but I saw op was concerned about traffic. Living in a neighborhood south of LSU gets you worse traffic and more time driving than any other part of town. Between you and almost all of Baton Rouge is the worst traffic and congestion in town. It's always a hassle to go to the country club riverbend or anything off highland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge