U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 06:30 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,122,973 times

Advertisements

Why does Baton Rouge need to be like Austin ? I'm sick of this comparison to Austin always coming up . Baton Rouge is a unique city , and does not need to be like any place else . We just need to fix our problems , and maintain our own identity . Move to Austin if it's so much better .

And Kip Holden can stick his loop ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 08:03 PM

1,734 posts, read 3,619,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darylwi View Post
I thought they had done away with that stupid law where no building could be taller than the capitol. I know originally, the Riverplace Condos was going to be taller. I'm guessing they either decided not to get rid of it, or they did but noone has taken the bait to build something taller yet. Either way, downtown Baton Rouge, and other areas of town as well, could use some highrise condos and apartments. As spread out as this city is, they need to try to maximize some space and increase the density of certain business areas.
Really? I had thought they had planned it to be a couple of feet shorter. Oh well. Either way, I doubt it will get off the ground. They've been saying it's "right around the corner" for a while now.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:00 AM

1,723 posts, read 2,010,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post

And Kip Holden can stick his loop ...
Well, it WOULD be quite an asset... even though this city could never rival Austin for finesse or culture.

Lots of places I'd rather move to instead of Austin, though. Louisville, CO for example, or maybe Casper, WY.

http://apps.money.cnn.com/bestplaces....jsp?x=26&y=11

Old 07-16-2009, 04:32 PM

794 posts, read 2,340,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
Really? I had thought they had planned it to be a couple of feet shorter. Oh well. Either way, I doubt it will get off the ground. They've been saying it's "right around the corner" for a while now.
I remember when the original plans had it at 36 stories and the height was taller than the capitol. Then they changed it at least three times after that, to what it is now. But I don't know if they're really planning that now. Chances are it'll turn into a smaller 10 story block compound, but at this rate we could use anything. Both of those blocks down there between Lafayette and River Rd between Laurel and North are eyesores.
I imagine the city/owners want way too much for that property. Granted, it's prime, but perhaps they should get rid of it so that something useful can be constructed on it. Why didn't the mayor offer something for it and make it a riverfront park. But then again, someone couldn't get rich off of that idea. It's that old way of thinking in Baton Rouge/Louisiana.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:58 AM

3,005 posts, read 5,718,078 times
I was impressed with BR driving through on I10

Old 07-24-2009, 03:01 AM

608 posts, read 710,333 times
Having lived in both BR and Austin, BR will NEVER become an Austin. First, BR does not attract businesses like Austin does. Austin tried to compete with Silicon Valley and lost, however enough tech companies did remain to make it viable. Texas has in general much much more land to develop than Louisiana does. BR does not have the infastructure Austin has, many people who fly into BR actually fly into N.O. and drive an hour to save $200 a plane ticket. Yes, the roads are improving slowly, but BR just has no more place to expand on I-10/12. There is a ton more poverty and crime in BR and the BR area compared to Austin. Some of the surrounding towns around BR are worse off economically than the city, but in Austin the suburbs are truly suburbs. With multi multi million dollar estates especially on the west end of the city. Louisiana for some reason always seems to shoot itself in the foot, horrible government, companies that use and abuse the state and citizens. Ever wonder why Louisiana is the only state along a coast with NO beaches? THere is soooo much more, but sadly BR is like a lot of crummy inner city state capitals...Phoenix, Atlanta, Trenton, etc. And Austin is more like a Tallahasse, Providence, type city.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:47 AM

1,357 posts, read 3,716,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrgy View Post
Ever wonder why Louisiana is the only state along a coast with NO beaches?
So THIS is why BR isn't a million plus metropolis ? Next time I go to Florida, I'll have to take some sand with me and bring it to Grand isle !

Old 07-24-2009, 11:01 AM

1,734 posts, read 3,619,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrgy View Post
Having lived in both BR and Austin, BR will NEVER become an Austin. First, BR does not attract businesses like Austin does. Austin tried to compete with Silicon Valley and lost, however enough tech companies did remain to make it viable. Texas has in general much much more land to develop than Louisiana does. BR does not have the infastructure Austin has, many people who fly into BR actually fly into N.O. and drive an hour to save $200 a plane ticket. Yes, the roads are improving slowly, but BR just has no more place to expand on I-10/12. There is a ton more poverty and crime in BR and the BR area compared to Austin. Some of the surrounding towns around BR are worse off economically than the city, but in Austin the suburbs are truly suburbs. With multi multi million dollar estates especially on the west end of the city. Louisiana for some reason always seems to shoot itself in the foot, horrible government, companies that use and abuse the state and citizens. Ever wonder why Louisiana is the only state along a coast with NO beaches? THere is soooo much more, but sadly BR is like a lot of crummy inner city state capitals...Phoenix, Atlanta, Trenton, etc. And Austin is more like a Tallahasse, Providence, type city.
Oh really, now?

I-12 is currently being expanded
I-10 is currently being expanded
Perkins road is being expanded
Burbank has been expanded
Staring Lane is being extended
These along with many, many other green light plan construction projects throughout EBR Parish. Numerous problematic intersections are/will also be expanded. They are working on Government at South Foster as we speak. They have completed Coursey at Sherwood Forest.

How exactly does Baton Rouge not have any room to expand?? Look at a satellite image at all the untouched land throughout the metropolitan area.

And what makes our suburbs not truly suburbs? The fact that most have historic walkable downtowns? The fact that most were in existance before the phenomena known as "white flight"?

No beaches? Ahem, there are beaches, just not many of them. And it has nothing to do with the economy or the companies located here. It is because our coast is mostly marshland.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:05 AM

1,357 posts, read 3,716,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
Oh really, now?

I-12 is currently being expanded
I-10 is currently being expanded
Perkins road is being expanded
Burbank has been expanded
Staring Lane is being extended
These along with many, many other green light plan construction projects throughout EBR Parish. Numerous problematic intersections are/will also be expanded. They are working on Government at South Foster as we speak. They have completed Coursey at Sherwood Forest.

How exactly does Baton Rouge not have any room to expand?? Look at a satellite image at all the untouched land throughout the metropolitan area.

And what makes our suburbs not truly suburbs? The fact that most have historic walkable downtowns? The fact that most were in existance before the phenomena known as "white flight"?

No beaches? Ahem, there are beaches, just not many of them. And it has nothing to do with the economy or the companies located here. It is because our coast is mostly marshland.
At least he didn't say BR is a warzone

Old 07-24-2009, 04:48 PM

794 posts, read 2,340,767 times
Almost all of south Louisiana, minus the southwestern part is alluvial delta from the Mississippi. There aren't going to be many beaches. It's a huge delta. It's just been walled up now because of the COE. And now the loose sedimentary soil is sinking without being replenished.
Levees and diversion projects won't help us any longer.
The only way to potentially save such an area is to do what the Dutch did and noone in the US (let alone LA) is willing to do that. There will come a point in time where most of South LA will have to be abandoned. Every few years a small piece of it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge