Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 07:54 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,411,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbbertusa View Post
IMO This Bicycle Sharing the streets is a bunch of crap.You can't make a road wider or more safe & friendlier with a half /azz looking logo Temporarily painted on the street surface.That is a total waste of tax dollars.I ride a Harley Davidson and the only reason we get by best as we can with cars is because of laws we got passed because of the taxes we pay and the money we raise for charity.Don't get Me wrong I love bicycles but there is no place for them on any street that does not provide a special lane for them. What I don't like about bicycles is that a lot of them ride where ever they won't and cut through traffic and for the most part have no idea what a hand signal is or a red light or stop sign.
What he said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 09:37 PM

101 posts, read 261,364 times
When I drive my car I follow the laws of the road and I'm courteous to others. This isn't true of all car drivers

When I ride my bike I follow the laws of the road and I'm courteous to others. This isn't true of all cyclists.

I think we can all co-exist safely but we'll have to stop being angry and self-centered.

We need more training for both -- drivers need to understand the laws as they pertain to driving when cyclists are on the road. Cyclists absolutely need more education on what they should be doing.

I'm an experienced cyclist who doesn't mind riding in traffic. If I die on my bike, I've died happy. However, I'll be pissed at the jerk who intentionally runs me off the road out of meanness or sport (and you know who you are).

Old 10-31-2009, 11:38 AM

32 posts, read 96,520 times
I grew up in Baton Rouge and LOVE coming home. I live in NYC now and can't wait to move back. You co0uldn't pay me to ride a bike as a mode of transportation in either city though!

Old 10-31-2009, 09:49 PM

595 posts, read 1,172,900 times
I noticed today that some of the Painted symbols are messed up already,the paint is peeling up.If bicycles or Really going to share the roads they will have to tag and tax them to raise revenue for correct lanes and markers.So You cyclist don't start complaining when That takes place if ever.Then You will join the ranks of those that will be ticketed for improper lane usage,running stop signs ,Red Lights.See You in traffic court.LOL.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:10 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,464,198 times
Quote:
So You cyclist don't start complaining when That takes place if ever.Then You will join the ranks of those that will be ticketed for improper lane usage,running stop signs ,Red Lights.See You in traffic court.LOL.
??? - not sure what you're getting at.

Old 11-01-2009, 12:13 PM

Just mean that for the city to really provide The cyclist with a safe place to ride You may have to pay the price that motorist have to pay.The city or some politician will say well we have to tax them to provide that extra lane, then they will require You to have a license just meaning it could backfire on Ya'll and the next thing You know You would be in court thats all.I don't mean it as a personal thing just how the city could screw it up,I'm all for cyclist I don't have a big problem with them at all.My wife rides 10 miles every morning.No please don't think I'm against Ya''ll I'm just thinking how the city could react,You know the old saying "You don't get anything for free".Thats all I mean.Sorry for not being more specific or clear.Just like when I bought My motorcycle,the next Yr .They passed the helmet law,cut my riding in half I hate helmets.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Just mean that for the city to really provide The cyclist with a safe place to ride You may have to pay the price that motorist have to pay.The city or some politician will say well we have to tax them to provide that extra lane, then they will require You to have a license just meaning it could backfire on Ya'll and the next thing You know You would be in court thats all.I don't mean it as a personal thing just how the city could screw it up,I'm all for cyclist I don't have a big problem with them at all.My wife rides 10 miles every morning.No please don't think I'm against Ya''ll I'm just thinking how the city could react,You know the old saying "You don't get anything for free".Thats all I mean.Sorry for not being more specific or clear.Just like when I bought My motorcycle,the next Yr .They passed the helmet law,cut my riding in half I hate helmets.
Ah. I imagine any activity that people wanted to do would be an excuse for politicians to increase taxes. In the case of bikes, though, we're not that expensive in terms of infrastructure - just create some bike paths by throwing asphalt down and maintain them.

But whether you're talking about biking, kayaking, or some other outdoor sport, "quality of life" items as bike paths make BR more attractive to outsiders in the future. In the present, BREC is something we can brag about.

One final thought: 225 magazine (you can get these at various restaurants or read it online) had a great article about cycling this past month.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
Ah. I imagine any activity that people wanted to do would be an excuse for politicians to increase taxes. In the case of bikes, though, we're not that expensive in terms of infrastructure - just create some bike paths by throwing asphalt down and maintain them.

But whether you're talking about biking, kayaking, or some other outdoor sport, "quality of life" items as bike paths make BR more attractive to outsiders in the future. In the present, BREC is something we can brag about.

One final thought: 225 magazine (you can get these at various restaurants or read it online) had a great article about cycling this past month.
I agree with You about BREC AND I read the articles in 225.I hope it all works out but sometimes the city does some strange things,we will just have to wait and see.BR MAN have a good day.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:55 AM

2,403 posts, read 5,239,342 times
Ever since I saw a woman on a bike run over and killed by a truck on a busy city street I refuse to ride anything with less than 4 wheels. Bikes need a physically separated lane.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:59 AM

Quote:
sometimes the city does some strange things,we will just have to wait and see.BR MAN have a good day.
It does, but I think it's fairly well run.

As to "strange things" there is one staring at us front and center - the "Alive" project they want us to approve in the November 14 tax election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge