Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 04:28 PM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times

Advertisements

I thought some of you would like to know that the city has achieved a bronze level BFC designation by the League of American Bicyclists.

More Information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 05:26 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,685,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
I thought some of you would like to know that the city has achieved a bronze level BFC designation by the League of American Bicyclists.

More Information
Interesting. I wouldn't have guesed. I know we have bike lanes on a few streets and some in the works but I never would have expected that that was enough to get recognition. Oh well, I'm certainly not complaining.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:39 PM

794 posts, read 3,356,543 times
Is it because of all the share lanes now? That's a joke. I for one do not like riding in the traffic with vehicles, especially around here, unruly bastards. At least in Austin, when they repave or rework a road, they expand the curb just enough to add a small 3'-6' bike lane on the side of the road. That actually works. I've seen them myself and in action and they work. These share lanes aren't going to work. They aren't working. I either see bike riders in the middle of the road now, or motorists still hellbent in running the decent cyclists off the road. In both cases it's a lack of respect.
Maybe that's why we're only a bronze then, because IMO Baton Rouge is still generally unfriendly when it comes to bicycles. We're trying, but so far we've been really cheap in terms of how to handle it. Maybe time, education and a few more construction projects will change that.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:30 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,464,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darylwi View Post
Is it because of all the share lanes now? That's a joke. I for one do not like riding in the traffic with vehicles, especially around here, unruly bastards. At least in Austin, when they repave or rework a road, they expand the curb just enough to add a small 3'-6' bike lane on the side of the road. That actually works. I've seen them myself and in action and they work. These share lanes aren't going to work. They aren't working. I either see bike riders in the middle of the road now, or motorists still hellbent in running the decent cyclists off the road. In both cases it's a lack of respect.
Maybe that's why we're only a bronze then, because IMO Baton Rouge is still generally unfriendly when it comes to bicycles. We're trying, but so far we've been really cheap in terms of how to handle it. Maybe time, education and a few more construction projects will change that.
Amen to that - all they're doing is akin to "putting lipstick on a pig": for one thing, they're (IMO) randomly putting the bicycle logo on various streets. And the existing bicycle lanes they have on some streets are poorly maintained (buckled pavement, gravel, glass, and the like), which makes for a less than pleasant riding experience.

Still, I give them partial credit for good intentions - at least they're not marginalizing cyclists as aliens. And I think the more education and visibility there is about the "rules of the road", the less friction you'll have.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:45 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,411,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darylwi View Post
Maybe that's why we're only a bronze then, because IMO Baton Rouge is still generally unfriendly when it comes to bicycles.
That's true of motorcycles too — and, in fact, maybe even more so for motorcyclists.

Old 10-22-2009, 04:46 PM

595 posts, read 1,172,900 times
IMO This Bicycle Sharing the streets is a bunch of crap.You can't make a road wider or more safe & friendlier with a half /azz looking logo Temporarily painted on the street surface.That is a total waste of tax dollars.I ride a Harley Davidson and the only reason we get by best as we can with cars is because of laws we got passed because of the taxes we pay and the money we raise for charity.Don't get Me wrong I love bicycles but there is no place for them on any street that does not provide a special lane for them. What I don't like about bicycles is that a lot of them ride where ever they won't and cut through traffic and for the most part have no idea what a hand signal is or a red light or stop sign.

Old 10-23-2009, 04:52 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,352,662 times
Another crowning achievment for his highness Kip Holden .

Old 10-23-2009, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbbertusa View Post
IMO This Bicycle Sharing the streets is a bunch of crap.You can't make a road wider or more safe & friendlier with a half /azz looking logo Temporarily painted on the street surface.That is a total waste of tax dollars.I ride a Harley Davidson and the only reason we get by best as we can with cars is because of laws we got passed because of the taxes we pay and the money we raise for charity.Don't get Me wrong I love bicycles but there is no place for them on any street that does not provide a special lane for them. What I don't like about bicycles is that a lot of them ride where ever they won't and cut through traffic and for the most part have no idea what a hand signal is or a red light or stop sign.
I would love it if they had specially designated bike lanes that were well maintained. Unfortunately, that is not the reality here in BR, and we occasionally have to ride on the main streets to get from point A to point B, since the idea of connecting streets is not a popular one here. It's not like I'm thrilled about doing so (riding on main streets), but I do my best to go with the flow of traffic and to be courteous.

Now, as to the "ride where ever they won't and cut through traffic and for the most part have no idea what a hand signal is or a red light or stop sign", I'd happily address that statement. Some cyclists don't signal and don't get the whole traffic flow concept. But many do. As to running stop signs, many of us only do so if there is no car nearby, and we look both ways first. Some don't, and I think that's where some of this "cycliing love" comes from.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
Another crowning achievment for his highness Kip Holden .
It's good intentions from The Kip, but they need to have dedicated bike paths in places like along Bayou Duplantier, Wards Creek, along the top of the Miss River levee, and the like. AND maintain the paths they already have, like the path along South Lakeshore Drive - I bet they haven't done any maintenance since they threw asphalt down about 20 years ago.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:55 AM

1,734 posts, read 5,685,876 times
Kip Holden is only one man, and I think this city has improved for the better since we elected him and got that other nitwit out of there. I will not mention names, but those who need to know, know who I'm talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge