U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 12:14 PM

14 posts, read 17,028 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure about your calculations. Our house is appraised at 465k. Our taxes are about 4300.00 a year.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 05:49 PM

9,610 posts, read 6,440,192 times
Default Here is official statement on BR property taxes

From the website East Baton Rouge Parish Assessor's Office | Assessments & Millages :

Quote:
Property Value and Assessed Valuation
The assessed value of your property is determined by analyzing sales information of similar homes in your area. Your residential property then receives an assessed valuation of 10% of its estimated property value. For example, an estimated property value of $100,000 would calculate to an assessed value of $10,000.

Taxable property is divided into two classes. Real property includes land and all buildings, structures, improvement to the land, and mobile homes. Personal property includes machinery and equipment, fixtures, furniture, and other items that are movable in nature and utilized in a business. Household goods, vehicles licensed to operate on public highways, and personal effects are exempt from property taxation.

Millage
What determines the millage rate applied to your property? The millage rate in East Baton Rouge Parish varies from area to area, depending on the location of the property. Generally speaking, property within the city limits is usually subjected to the same rate, with the exception of property located in the downtown development district, the levee district, and the Comite River Diversion Canal district. Property outside of the city limits may have additional millages to cover items such as fire protection, road lighting, garbage, and the Comite River Diversion Canal.

Millage is the percentage of value that is used in calculating taxes. A mill is defined as 1/10 of 1 percent and is multiplied by the assessed value after any exemptions have been subtracted to calculate the taxes. (FOR EXAMPLE: If the tax rate is 100 mills and the total assessed value is $10,000 with no exemptions, the taxes would be calculated as $10,000 x .100 = $1,000.00.) If you would be calculating taxes on the same property and include a homestead exemption, the taxes would be ($10,000 - $7,500) x .100 = $250.00. This is extremely beneficial to the residents of the parish to be allowed to take advantage of this exemption. However, it is important to remember that the homestead exemption does not apply to municipal taxes.
The above explanation indicates that for a person's primary residence in BR city limits, your property tax would be approximately 10% of 10% of the estimated property value. So a house whose estimated property value is $430,000 (after exemption), the assessed value on which to base property taxes would be $43,000. The approximate property tax rate would be ABOUT 10% of the assessed value of $43,000, which would equal $4,300.

If that property were in Dallas, TX, you would pay about $11,610 in property taxes for a $430,000 valued home (after exemption).

I found a site a while back (Kiplinger I think) listing states with lowest property taxes in the country. Hawaii was the lowest, another state was second to lowest, and Louisiana was third to lowest. I thought it LA was the lowest, but it's third to lowest. Texas is high (it has no income tax, but unless you're really wealthy, the low income tax in LA STILL means you come out way ahead), and the northeast and midwest are the highest, I think.

I'm thinking of moving back to LA for this reason. I would save about $50,000 (or more) in ten years in tax savings, over Texas. But the catch is....I'd have to live in Louisiana! Not that that's terrible, but there are no really big, safe big cities there, which is what I'm used to.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge