Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 09:17 AM

173 posts, read 330,426 times

Advertisements

LSU faces off against The Frozen Tide at the Pelham Civic Complex this weekend.

www.bamahockey.net
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 04:49 PM

794 posts, read 3,345,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julilg View Post
LSU faces off against The Frozen Tide at the Pelham Civic Complex this weekend.

www.bamahockey.net
Uh, LSU has a hockey team?
Hell, does every SEC school have a hockey team? Where the hell was I when this happened?

Old 09-30-2009, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylwi View Post
Hell, does every SEC school have a hockey team? Where the hell was I when this happened?
This is the inaugural season for Ole Miss, leaving Auburn as the only SEC school without men's ice hockey.

The 1st SEC Championships were held Feb. 2009. All except KY (and Auburn) are expected to participate at the end of this season. The Ice Vols used to dominate, but they lost a lot of Sr's, making room for other teams to take the lead. Based on the last couple years, I'd say probaly GA, but the season is barely starting so who knows.

You were probably in the south while this has been happening. There's been media coverage in West and North states, even in Canada about the growth of college hockey in the South. But southern media doesn't seem to "get it." Title IX means they have to compete in the ACHA instead of NCAA, so that might have something to do with the lack of coverage, I don't know.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:59 AM

325 posts, read 785,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julilg View Post
You were probably in the south while this has been happening. There's been media coverage in West and North states, even in Canada about the growth of college hockey in the South. But southern media doesn't seem to "get it." Title IX means they have to compete in the ACHA instead of NCAA, so that might have something to do with the lack of coverage, I don't know.
Yeah, the media - generally speaking - does not publicize club sports nearly as much as varsity ones. I'm assuming the university does not support the teams monetarily, which means they are not varsity teams. And that makes it really hard to gain press outside of the student newspaper.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:54 PM

Yeah, I'm out of the loop. LSU media might be covering it somewhat, but I haven't noticed anything in the general media. This is the south. It's all football until Christmas. Then basketball, then baseball. If you're lucky, you get some softball or soccer coverage. Let alone hockey.

I assume the university supports them somehow. They're wearing university logos. Of course they probably do have a very limited budget down here. Even the band is really just beginning to reap a little reward from the Athletic Department and they've been entertaining football games for what 70-80 years now? All they wanted was a new band hall.

LSU Ice Hockey Club (http://www.lsuhockey.com/p-25-Home.aspx - broken link)

Old 09-30-2009, 08:12 PM

595 posts, read 1,167,586 times
Thats news To Me also,Never heard of LSU Hockey must be because the practice at Leo' Iceland (other side of town)There is still some room for one more stadium.LOL

Old 10-07-2009, 04:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,390 times
I just moved to LA from AZ and I am dying to find a hockey game to go to. Is there a website or a phone number I can call to get a schedule? It's either that or go to a Stars game, and I'm not a big fan of the Stars.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:45 AM

Doesn't Lafayette still have their team, IceGators? That's an hour down the road.
The Official IceGators Website

There's a rink, part of the year, where I know that a few people meet up to play recreational hockey from time to time, just north of Cortana Mall.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:20 PM

Bama beat LSU 12-2 and 10-2 last weekend, plays Lafayette Nov 6 & 7

http://www.lafayetteihockey.org/
www.lsuhockey.com
www.tulaneicehockey.com

Last edited by julilg; 10-08-2009 at 01:22 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-17-2009, 09:32 AM

18 posts, read 76,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darylwi View Post
LOL my thoughts exactly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
View detailed profiles of: