Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2007, 03:48 PM
Caa Caa started this thread

940 posts, read 2,489,843 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I moved here 2 years ago from southeast Florida and when we moved here we just loved it! Can someone tell me what has happened to all the NICE people that used to live here? Whe we first moved here we were surprised that people actually let us in off a side street, strangers waved to us in several neighborhoods, peopel slowed down to let us in during traffic. Now, it seemd that everyone has gotten on the jerk bandwagon. I may be wrong, but since the hurricanes, people have gotten ruder and ruder. I think maybe people from New Orleans have the "big city" mentality and are rubbing their semi aggressive ways on Baton Rougeans? Maybe it is all in my head, but it just seems like the drivers here are some of the nastiest people I have seen and they were seriously not that way before Katrin and Rita. Does anyone out there see this or is it my imagination? I always let people in in traffic and some dude behind me had the nerve to honk at me as if I committed the worst act in the world! I shot him a bird, see, I would never have done that 2 years ago!! People, please think about your driving, it is so much better to be kind!! Also, my husband thinks that the rude ways are just rubbing off on the next guy. example,"he did not let me in, so why should I be nice to the next guy". Please give me some feedback, I am getting so disappointed, this was the perfect town!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 09:59 AM

18 posts, read 76,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caa View Post
Hello all,

I moved here 2 years ago from southeast Florida and when we moved here we just loved it! Can someone tell me what has happened to all the NICE people that used to live here? Whe we first moved here we were surprised that people actually let us in off a side street, strangers waved to us in several neighborhoods, peopel slowed down to let us in during traffic. Now, it seemd that everyone has gotten on the jerk bandwagon. I may be wrong, but since the hurricanes, people have gotten ruder and ruder. I think maybe people from New Orleans have the "big city" mentality and are rubbing their semi aggressive ways on Baton Rougeans? Maybe it is all in my head, but it just seems like the drivers here are some of the nastiest people I have seen and they were seriously not that way before Katrin and Rita. Does anyone out there see this or is it my imagination? I always let people in in traffic and some dude behind me had the nerve to honk at me as if I committed the worst act in the world! I shot him a bird, see, I would never have done that 2 years ago!! People, please think about your driving, it is so much better to be kind!! Also, my husband thinks that the rude ways are just rubbing off on the next guy. example,"he did not let me in, so why should I be nice to the next guy". Please give me some feedback, I am getting so disappointed, this was the perfect town!!!!
Katrina forced an influx of not-so-nice people from the southern part of Louisiana. I suppose i'd be rude too if I were forced out of my home and had to live elsewhere. The rudeness and lack of concern for those that call Baton Rouge home should have ended about a year ago. As of now, if you haven't been able to get out of Baton Rouge yet you wanted to, the only thing you have to be grumpy about is your own life. If you don't want to be here, let me be the first to say that we don't want you here

Moderator cut: advertising

Last edited by Marka; 06-03-2007 at 02:51 AM..

Old 05-30-2007, 06:16 AM
Caa Caa started this thread

940 posts, read 2,489,843 times
Default thanks for the feedback(honest)

Are you from new Orleans or here? Thanks for your feedback, I am happy here, just been dissappointed! I know that I will be happier again here, I love Baton Rouge!!!

Old 05-30-2007, 07:55 AM

530 posts, read 2,625,472 times
I think you hit the nail on the head. The large influx of people after the hurricanes has definately shifted the mentality of the area. I lived in NOLA for 17 years and had to move after Katrina. Honestly, I never thought the locals were "that" friendly. Sure they talk the talk, but when it really comes down to it, their true colors do come out. Driving is a great example, always wait at least 3 seconds before you go on a green light,etc. The sense of entitlement in the area makes people think they can do almost anything. It does rub off as in your example. Please continue to be nice and courteous and maybe others will "pay it forward".

Old 05-30-2007, 08:21 AM

18 posts, read 76,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micktooth View Post
I think you hit the nail on the head. The large influx of people after the hurricanes has definately shifted the mentality of the area. I lived in NOLA for 17 years and had to move after Katrina. Honestly, I never thought the locals were "that" friendly. Sure they talk the talk, but when it really comes down to it, their true colors do come out. Driving is a great example, always wait at least 3 seconds before you go on a green light,etc. The sense of entitlement in the area makes people think they can do almost anything. It does rub off as in your example. Please continue to be nice and courteous and maybe others will "pay it forward".
I agree with you 100%... Where did you end up moving to?

Moderator cut: advertising

Last edited by Marka; 06-03-2007 at 02:49 AM..

Old 05-30-2007, 02:08 PM

530 posts, read 2,625,472 times
Well I don't like to say it too often on the Louisiana board, but my family and I moved to Boulder,Colorado. I work in Denver. There is absolutely no comparison between CO and LA. Colorado is awesome,if you don't believe me, just read most of the great stuff being discussed on the CO board. We do miss LA, but our lifestyle here is so much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge