U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 11:06 AM

99 posts, read 136,509 times
Default Graduate Student Apartment

Hi, I am still thinking about where to go to graduate school. LSU is one of my options. I currently live in Greenville, NC and pay $395/mo for rent, ~$100 electric, and $85 for cable/internet. Anyone know any good apartments in BR around that price range. I could probably afford $500/mo. I don't really care about amenities, I care more about the area/overall look of the complex. The cost of living is a major consideration for me in choosing a good graduate school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 01:01 PM

595 posts, read 561,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattawest View Post
Hi, I am still thinking about where to go to graduate school. LSU is one of my options. I currently live in Greenville, NC and pay $395/mo for rent, ~$100 electric, and $85 for cable/internet. Anyone know any good apartments in BR around that price range. I could probably afford $500/mo. I don't really care about amenities, I care more about the area/overall look of the complex. The cost of living is a major consideration for me in choosing a good graduate school.
I could be wrong but I think You are looking for the impossible,You can not get an apt. or house on My street For less than $725 for a crappy two BR. in the Ghetto.I live just north of LSU about 3 blocks.As I have stated on this forum before I have to wear a side arm to get out and cut my grass.During the semester break there was at least 6 burglaries on My street.There are other people that may be able to help.This area is so bad when I leave for a few days I pay a man $10 a day to watch my house.I have a 2 BR wood house across the street that rents for $1800 !WOW it even blew me away when I found out.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:04 PM

Hmm, I kind of expected that. I have to attend a school that has both masters and PhD in French literature. LSU has both and French is prevalent in that area. I guess I'll have to cross LSU off my list :-( I don't really want student apartments either. We have them here in Greenville and they are loud and always have problems with crime, even though they are fairly new and a good price with utilities included.

Old 02-09-2010, 04:10 PM

On another note, are there any areas in my price range around Baton Rouge? I don't mind driving 20 minutes to get to school. It should just be three days a week or so.

Old 02-09-2010, 04:28 PM

1,734 posts, read 3,513,542 times
You could look for a studio on craigslist. Usually these are the best deals in town b/c most come with utilities included. The ones in the Garden District usually run $600-$800, but it isn't unheard of to find one for $500 or slightly lower. Farther out into more modern subdivisions you may find some Mother-in-Law apartments for a similar price.

Due to your financial constraints, it would be well advised to find a quiet roomate. You can find 2/1 houses without utilities included for $750-$1000.

The best deals come by word of mouth, but that doesn't help you since you aren't here in town right now. Sometimes there are really old folks in some of the older neighborhoods who have garage apartments and have no idea what things in their neighborhood are really worth. It's a shame they are computer-literate enough to post on Craigslist

Old 02-10-2010, 09:33 AM

483 posts, read 1,014,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattawest View Post
You definitely need a roommate if you wanna stay within your price range, if you don't mind roommate, you can find some decent apartments in Tigerland, or on Burbank Dr. They're close to campus and safe enough. Though you probably have to deal with all the stuff that comes with concentration of college students.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:54 AM

595 posts, read 561,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbbertusa View Post
I could be wrong but I think You are looking for the impossible,You can not get an apt. or house on My street For less than $725 for a crappy two BR. in the Ghetto.I live just north of LSU about 3 blocks.As I have stated on this forum before I have to wear a side arm to get out and cut my grass.During the semester break there was at least 6 burglaries on My street.There are other people that may be able to help.This area is so bad when I leave for a few days I pay a man $10 a day to watch my house.I have a 2 BR wood house across the street that rents for $1800 !WOW it even blew me away when I found out.
I miss quoted the price of the 2BR on my street it rents for 1300 not 1800.Sorry for the error.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:40 AM

96 posts, read 248,989 times
The apartment complex I live in is in the 600's for a one bedroom and the 700's for a two bedroom. It is within biking distance to LSU and is on the LSU bus route. The whole place was recently renovated and it is gated.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:26 PM

3 posts, read 10,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbbertusa View Post
Posts like this would have scared the crap out of me when I moved from Chicago area to Baton Rouge I live 5 minutes from the south side of campus and I have little concern about my safety where I'm at. Sure, it's a student neighborhood and the kids can get rowdy, but I'm not worried about getting shot at while I walk my dog.

The north side, yes, I would definitely avoid anything in that area, but there are a lot of nice places south of campus that you can get for a reasonable price. Check craigslist, that's where I found my current house.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:01 AM

425 posts, read 1,000,920 times
When I lived in Baton Rouge, I stayed in an area known as Tigerland. It was off of Nicholson Dr. (I believe the entering road was Bob Pettit Blvd.) and paid $395/mo. for a one bedroom. The complex was nice, too. I didn't think the area was all that bad and it was full of LSU students. That was close to ten years ago, though, so I'm sure it's gone up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge