U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 04:39 PM

11 posts, read 53,609 times

Advertisements

An honest opinion about Baton Rouge would be a mouth full, but here goes.

The college atmosphere is great (especially since I go to LSU), I never don't have something to do.

The singles market is what you make of it, there are a lot of girls here, but for me many of them are WAY too snobby. They drive a Land Rover or a Lexus and think that the world should bow to them. This applys to college girls here mainly.

All of the "older" people I know 30's-50's are great, most of them would go out of there way to do anything for you and always like your company, so making good friends is easy.

Traffic sucks.... everywhere, don't live off of I-12 if you hate traffic.

Gardere is bad, but around Gardere, by Burbank/Bluebonnet (on the "Highland Side") is ok, I live in a subdivision right down the road from Gardere and sleep with my window open at night. No problems, and quiet.

Racial issues, they aren't too bad. Some people whine and moan about the confederate flag every once and a while at football games. The thing is, that if there ever is a racial issue around town, people blow it out of proportion.

Schools, I don't know. I hear that they aren't so great unless you go private.

The cops are generally nice, but should show a greater presence around town. Especially in crime areas.

Night life sucks unless you like bars. Not many good clubs. Downtown is working on becoming an entertainment center, but give it a few years.

The mall has lots of stuff, but it is small.

Weather is hot/humid 7 months of the year, freezing cold 1 month, and somewhere in between for the other 4.

Now, those are just facts. My honest opinion is that after I'm out of LSU that the city has nothing to offer for me and I would not want to raise my kids in such a large city.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2007, 08:02 PM

1 posts, read 7,002 times
Default The real story

I am not from Baton Rouge but a transplant due to giving in to the great corporate a.. kissing to keep a job.

Simply stated it will be the greatest day of my life when this place is in my rearview mirror.

Racist? Not by a long shot! There is an African-American Mayor, Police Chief and School Board Superintendant. Worst crime, coruption, traffic and schools in the state.

Go figure!

Old 05-20-2007, 10:25 PM

323 posts, read 688,919 times
Hey now, New Orleans is already getting back on its feet and I definitely would call it a city atmosphere. More soul, fun and accepting than other places in the state.
I was just in BR and I didn't think traffic was that bad, and it certainly won't seem bad compared to Chicago. BR isn't a bad place, but it's definitely LSU-crazed. There's some good night life though.

Old 05-23-2007, 06:08 PM
Caa

883 posts, read 1,580,887 times
Well here is my honest opinion of this town. 2 years ago we moved here from the rude and nasty people that lived in south Florida along with countless other reasons for leaving that state(illegals run rampant etc) WEll, when we moved here in March 05, we could not believe how friendly the people were. WE actually were shocked when someone let us out from a side street. Neighbors baked cookies and brought them to new people in the neighborhood. It was almost like a dream come true for my family and I. Unfortunately, since Katrina brought out the rudness in Baton Rougeans and the rude "city: people that moved here, this town has been totally ruined! I get honks from the person behind me if I let one person out from a side street, I now have had to become the aggressor myself to to keep up with all the new rude people here now. The southern hospitality is totally gone now and every day I am hoping to sell my home and get the heck out. Our neighbors are pretty nice, just not like some of my friends neighbors who "hang out". It is almost like peopel have no trust anymore. People from New Orleans just are not as nice and friendly as people from BR and it is making everyone wary of everyone else. The only thing good I have to say is the food here is wonderful and you can always find no wait at many rest here in town. Also, the school(private) my daughter goes to is wonderful!! I also think that is a fun town, just too many "hurried" people now thinking the world revolves around them. I wish you luck here and hope you are happier than I am, I just wish it were like it was when we first moved here......

Old 05-29-2007, 11:05 AM

18 posts, read 56,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_lady View Post
Hey now, New Orleans is already getting back on its feet and I definitely would call it a city atmosphere. More soul, fun and accepting than other places in the state.
I was just in BR and I didn't think traffic was that bad, and it certainly won't seem bad compared to Chicago. BR isn't a bad place, but it's definitely LSU-crazed. There's some good night life though.
The traffic here has gotten MUCH better over the past few months. Close to the Katrina days it was unbearable.

Moderator cut: advertising

Last edited by Marka; 06-03-2007 at 03:51 AM..

Old 06-01-2007, 12:16 AM

369 posts, read 1,164,056 times
Baton Rouge is a pretty alright place to live. Crime is usually limited to the areas north of Downtown and Florida Boulevard. The public school system is not that great, with the exception of Woodlawn and maybe Tara, but there are excellent magnet schoools and plenty of very high performing private schools, all but about three of which are pretty affordable as far as private education goes. World class medical centers and nursing facilities; definitely a great place to get old. You should consider Pointe Coupee Parish, just northwest of Baton Rouge. It is soon going to be linked to Baton Rouge via a brand new bridge, cutting the current commute time fromt there in half. Only about 25,000 people there. Neighbors look out for you. Very big sense of community. Lots of recreational options. If you want the city to be right at your doorstep, You should consider the Corporate Boulevard, Jefferson Highway, Old Hammond area. Really close to Independence Park (absolutely HUGE park with like 20 tennis courts and stuff like that)

Old 08-17-2007, 08:51 PM

2 posts, read 13,465 times
I moved to BR 5 years ago. The town was great then, but after Katrina, things have changed. I have become more intolerant and racist now (I'm originally from up north). My kid is in her last year of public school; Thank god!!! My kid is still considered a "Majority," student, even though the school is 90 percent African-American and are bused into a white neighborhood. At this time, I could move from BR and not blink an eye.

Old 08-17-2007, 09:01 PM

155 posts, read 556,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy1964 View Post
I moved to BR 5 years ago. The town was great then, but after Katrina, things have changed. I have become more intolerant and racist now (I'm originally from up north).
I disagree and agree. I'm from Indiana and have been living in the south for the past 30 plus years ... FL, MS, & LA. Ever since we moved to BR in '78 we've watched the city grow. I don't think the influx of new residents as a result of Katrina can be labeled in strictly negative terms. There's a lot of postive that's happened as a result.

I too have lost a lot of my tolerance over the years. I like to blame the heat. And that in a nutshell is what I really dislike about this place the most ... the oppressive heat & humidity from June through September.

Old 08-18-2007, 09:54 AM
Caa

883 posts, read 1,580,887 times
I still love Baton Rouge, but it has changed. I think the past year, things have improved. People, for a while, were very rude here. I don't want to blame anyone, but most of the rudeness seemed to come from people with "westbank" or "Northshore" on their frame to their license plate. I also think that baton Rougeans were getting tired of the rudeness and became rude themselves, which I totally disagree with, but whatever. Now, I fell the traffic is "back to 'normal' levels, though like we say, it was bad before Katrina. Anyway, I feel some of the new arrivals have major attitudes, and I also have become more intolerant of them and becoming more racist, but then again, there is a lot of reverse racism here! Certain people are only nice to others like them-ya know! Anyway, I feel BR still is safe and a great place to raise a child as long as they are in private school that is! You cannot beat the southern manners a lot of these kids have here-at least in my opinion_I came from FT Myers, Fl and most kids were on drugs and very rude!

Old 08-18-2007, 03:16 PM

2 posts, read 13,465 times
Look. Baton Rouge, like all cities has its problems. After Katrina, I now consider Baton Rouge to be the "Hub" of Louisiana, not New Orleans. The reverse discrimination- Get back at YT attitude. Inconciderate rednecks, particularly on the highways around BR leaves me with little patience. My kids have grown up here in a depressive rut. I am doing my best to keep them from the "wigger," "Thug" MTV mentallity. I have seen many of my sons freinds die because of the choices they made growing up here. Don't believe me? Check the news a few days ago and look for the name of the motorcyclist that ran into the other car here in BR. My son knew him. I have know six of his friends that have died of drug overdoses etc... Baton Rouge is "not" a place to raise a family, escpecially, if you are poor to middleclass. Trust me, I have lived here 5 years. Your best bet is to move to a small town away from Baton Rouge. I am not talking Lake Charles, Houma, Laffyette either. Sadly, they are not the best of places to live in. Before you get on your high chair and accuse me of slandering these towns. I work at these towns on a weekly basis, sometime more. I don't mean to knock Louisiana, but besides Mississippi, you are talking roickbottom on every statistic involving States accross the U.S. in quality of life, school, per capital income etc... Be sure that you want to move into Louisiana, and do your homework. I was warned about the Baton Rouge Public School system and thought it couldn't be that bad but, boy, was I wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge