Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 04:54 PM

3 posts, read 7,243 times

Advertisements

Hi my family is planning to move to Baton Rouge from the Washington, DC area. Need lots of advice on where to live - safe and accessible to amenities, and schools - middle and high school with vigorous curriculum and talented staff. Finding great schools will determine where we live. We are interested in all types of school -public, private, chartered and magnet schools. Just tell me of good ones. Please help...we are set to move this summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 12:52 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,411,566 times
As one who spent much of his early life in the DC area (NoVa), I would advise you to be prepared for a great culture shock. You didn't say how old your children are, but you need to check out the best private schools in the area since the public schools could not compete with those in Montgomery, Prince George, Fairfax or Arlington Counties. You might want to look in Prairieville for a nice house if you choose public schools for your kids.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:42 PM

3 posts, read 7,243 times
Thanks for the info. We expect that life would be slower and are looking forward to that, but is there anything else you think we should know in regards to the culture, that could have a negative effect. Children are 11 and 15. What private schools do you recommend? I am assuming that Praireville's public school is thought to be good to best in Baton Rouge area.

Old 03-06-2010, 05:01 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,411,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgilbert View Post
Thanks for the info. We expect that life would be slower and are looking forward to that, but is there anything else you think we should know in regards to the culture, that could have a negative effect. Children are 11 and 15. What private schools do you recommend? I am assuming that Praireville's public school is thought to be good to best in Baton Rouge area.
As for the culture, the sooner you become an LSU Tigers & N.O. Saints football fan, the better off you'll be. There's a lot of pride in the cajun tradition that manifests itself best in the cuisine. The best restaurants are, of course, a short drive away in New Orleans, but there are a few here in B.R. that can better most anything you would be accustomed to in the DC 'burbs.

There are several private schools in the area that are well-regarded; our daughter is a product of the public schools here, but her genes come from two parents that value education more than most. The Dunham school comes to mind.

Not sure I know what you mean about "slower," but don't expect a respite from the daily traffic. The greater B.R. area population has grown from 450K to 771K in the years I've been here, but the roads haven't kept up. It gets hot as heck here in the summertime. I'm still not used to it.

Old 03-06-2010, 05:42 PM

42 posts, read 111,182 times
A good site which lists schools and their ratings is greatschools.com
If you check out the schools in Livingston parish as well as the school systems of Zachary and Central in East Baton Rouge parish you will see that our schools rate as well or better than elsewhere in the country. We are not all illiterate rednecks as some would have you believe.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:56 AM

122 posts, read 360,235 times
Episcopal is the best school in town- amazing academics.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:20 PM

3 posts, read 8,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgilbert View Post
Hi my family is planning to move to Baton Rouge from the Washington, DC area. Need lots of advice on where to live - safe and accessible to amenities, and schools - middle and high school with vigorous curriculum and talented staff. Finding great schools will determine where we live. We are interested in all types of school -public, private, chartered and magnet schools. Just tell me of good ones. Please help...we are set to move this summer.

I am a public school fan
I recommend Shenandoah Elem, Sherwood Middle Magnet and Baton Rouge High Magnet....great public schools for my kids, among the best in Louisiana.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:01 AM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,488,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
As for the culture, the sooner you becomeLSU Tigers & N.O. Saints football fan, the better off you'll be. There's a lot of pride in the cajun tradition that manifests itself best in the cuisine. The best restaurants are, of course, a short drive away in New Orleans, but there are a few here in B.R. that can better most anything you would be accustomed to in the DC 'burbs.

There are several private schools in the area that are well-regarded; our daughter is a product of the public schools here, but her genes come from two parents that value education more than most. The Dunham school comes to mind.

Not sure I know what you mean about "slower," but don't expect a respite from the daily traffic. The greater B.R. area population has grown from 450K to 771K in the years I've been here, but the roads haven't kept up. It gets hot as heck here in the summertime. I'm still not used to it.
I have to disagree with you on only one point. I find the casual cuisine here in Baton Rouge FAR better than food in New Orleans! I never eat any typical food from Louisiana in New Orleans as I find Baton Rouge's sooooo much better! All else, true, but the traffic is not bad except for rush hour like anywhere else. I went to Atlanta a year ago and talk about traffic 24/7 n o relief. This past weekend I would say traffic was vert minimal and no problems!

Old 03-09-2010, 04:37 AM

67 posts, read 170,223 times
Default traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caa View Post
I have to disagree with you on only one point. I find the casual cuisine here in Baton Rouge FAR better than food in New Orleans! I never eat any typical food from Louisiana in New Orleans as I find Baton Rouge's sooooo much better! All else, true, but the traffic is not bad except for rush hour like anywhere else. I went to Atlanta a year ago and talk about traffic 24/7 n o relief. This past weekend I would say traffic was vert minimal and no problems!
Having lived in Atlanta for 10+ years, I can attest to BR traffic not holding a candle to major city traffic. Yes there are backups, but that'll happen anywhere much less where they're doing major (slow) road construction. Traffic will not be a major concern coming from DC either, same story.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:45 PM

2 posts, read 5,596 times
Don't overlook St. Francisville - north of Baton Rouge - Public schools are very good - all levels
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge