Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 01:53 PM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,489,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
The city of Baton Rouge is about 50/45 black/white
Baton Rouge (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

East baton Rouge Parish (which contains BR, Zachary, Baker, Central, and some suburban fringe) us 53/43 white/black
East Baton Rouge Parish QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Are those recent? I saw 2003 not 2007. I was just saying that it seems that most people I see in cars, Mall of La and restaurants etc are mostly white. I also heard that the Mayor is totally po'd about the shooting on the 4th and does not want to be like New Orleans, crime and corruption etc. I also heard that he was the one who basically sent the crime type people on buses out of here after Katrina, at least as many as he could-good for us at least our crime rate did not jump way up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 03:24 PM

155 posts, read 766,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caa View Post
Are those recent? I saw 2003 not 2007. I was just saying that it seems that most people I see in cars, Mall of La and restaurants etc are mostly white...
You're either living a very sheltered life or only see what you want to see.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:00 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,465,540 times
Quote:
Are those recent? I saw 2003 not 2007. I was just saying that it seems that most people I see in cars, Mall of La and restaurants etc are mostly white. I also heard that the Mayor is totally po'd about the shooting on the 4th and does not want to be like New Orleans, crime and corruption etc. I also heard that he was the one who basically sent the crime type people on buses out of here after Katrina, at least as many as he could-good for us at least our crime rate did not jump way up!
The census figures say "2006 estimate." And I think the breakdown is as accurate as it can be without an official count.

As to what you saw in the Mall of America, you're correct. But those areas (and other neighborhoods south of Florida) are only part of the picture. Baton Rouge north of Fla Blvd is easily 80-85% black. And, yes, Kip stood up for our city and didn't let us be a doormat. Besides, at the time the storm hit, we had no power and most of metro NO anyway, so it's not like we could have handled 150K more people. Metro Houston with its 4M could.

Old 07-13-2007, 01:03 PM
Caa

Default population

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyM View Post
I am well aware of the blacks and I guess I just go out in the "white" areas. I am very unsheltered as I take my child to gymnastics, go out to dinner 2 times a week and have a job, I don't care what you say, the people I see out in the areas I go to are mosly white folk. I do realize the areas that are "black" and I chose to stay out of them. I also have many blacks neighbors with whom we have get togethers, so no I am neither sheltered or see what I want to see.

Old 07-15-2007, 08:37 PM

13 posts, read 38,062 times
Quote:
I am well aware of the blacks and I guess I just go out in the "white" areas. I am very unsheltered as I take my child to gymnastics, go out to dinner 2 times a week and have a job, I don't care what you say, the people I see out in the areas I go to are mosly white folk. I do realize the areas that are "black" and I chose to stay out of them. I also have many blacks neighbors with whom we have get togethers, so no I am neither sheltered or see what I want to see.

Maybe what you meant to ask about was the crime rate of particular areas......That is what I'd be interested in. Race means nothing but crime rate says it all. With that kinda knowledge you can make an informed decision on the type of folk you would be moving your family around.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:03 PM

2 posts, read 6,529 times
Ascension has the most to offer in a mix of housing and schools. Zachary has great schools, but limited housing and is in an area more rurally located than most. In BR, a couple of large communities that are pet-friendly and golfing communities = University Club Plantation and Santa Maria...

Old 08-14-2007, 07:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,813 times
Thumbs down I left Baton Rouge and I'm not going back! California is so much better!

Excuse me but I can't believe all the comments about whats good and new in Baton Rouge!
I use to live in Baton Rouge from 1986 through 1993 and I'll tell you the city sucks!!!
I'm originally from LA(i moved to BR with my parents in '86) and I missed LA with beach, mountains, and so much more to do and see. Baton Rouge would never equal Southern California or South Florida in this topic.
I currently live in Long Beach California and I enjoy it. I only live 11 blocks from the Pacific Ocean with the Queen Mary and Shoreline Village.
Baton Rouge wished it had what Long Beach had.
Baton Rouge is too stuck on that "Good 'Ole Boy Network" in terms business and political climates.
Out here in Southern CA you have to live,and work along people from all over the world and US. Its more diverse out here too but it is expensive.
But you know what I'll pay more to live in a real city and suburban area.
Oh yea another thing to the LSU fans are rude and disrespectful.
I guess you'll go crazy too if all you see year round is a swamp.
I have to give credit for the food though. I can't knock that.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:13 PM

100 posts, read 392,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyM View Post
Why assume that that is what they want to see?

Old 08-19-2007, 09:48 AM
Caa

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrecka View Post
Excuse me but I can't believe all the comments about whats good and new in Baton Rouge!
I use to live in Baton Rouge from 1986 through 1993 and I'll tell you the city sucks!!!
I'm originally from LA(i moved to BR with my parents in '86) and I missed LA with beach, mountains, and so much more to do and see. Baton Rouge would never equal Southern California or South Florida in this topic.
I currently live in Long Beach California and I enjoy it. I only live 11 blocks from the Pacific Ocean with the Queen Mary and Shoreline Village.
Baton Rouge wished it had what Long Beach had.
Baton Rouge is too stuck on that "Good 'Ole Boy Network" in terms business and political climates.
Out here in Southern CA you have to live,and work along people from all over the world and US. Its more diverse out here too but it is expensive.
But you know what I'll pay more to live in a real city and suburban area.
Oh yea another thing to the LSU fans are rude and disrespectful.
I guess you'll go crazy too if all you see year round is a swamp.
I have to give credit for the food though. I can't knock that.
H av heard California is great too. I will agree about the food here it is the best. I am happy here, and I don't feel like LSU fans are really any worse than other fans_mainly FSU-talk about nasty fans. I am happy you like Ca. I hope to visit someday!

Old 08-19-2007, 09:58 AM

4 posts, read 18,081 times
Old Goodwood and Highland Road areas are nice areas with great houses. Born and raised there. You'll love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge