U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 11:42 AM

2,861 posts, read 4,415,535 times
Default Spring/Summer weather in Bend

Okay, this is a question for you long-time Bend residents. I'm wondering if this year's spring weather is "normal", or if not how often Bend experiences a long, wet spring like we are currently having? Also wondering when summer (temps. above 80 F) typically arrives in Bend?

I've lived here almost 2 years, and while I remember last spring being a bit cooler than what I was used to, it didn't seem as rainy/overcast all the time. I feel like I moved back to Seattle, where I only lived for 4 months! I always joke with my Colorado family that I didn't move to the PNW for the clouds and rain! But seriously, I thought Bend was supposed to be sunnier and warmer than this! I'm freezing here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 08:51 AM

3,994 posts, read 7,473,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
Okay, this is a question for you long-time Bend residents. I'm wondering if this year's spring weather is "normal", or if not how often Bend experiences a long, wet spring like we are currently having? Also wondering when summer (temps. above 80 F) typically arrives in Bend?

I've lived here almost 2 years, and while I remember last spring being a bit cooler than what I was used to, it didn't seem as rainy/overcast all the time. I feel like I moved back to Seattle, where I only lived for 4 months! I always joke with my Colorado family that I didn't move to the PNW for the clouds and rain! But seriously, I thought Bend was supposed to be sunnier and warmer than this! I'm freezing here!
Not from Bend, from from the east side of the Cascades - last year was much more typical than this year. All through the northwest, on both sides of the Cascades, this spring has been much cooler and wetter than normal - enough to set new records.

If you go to one of the weather site (like wunderground) that lets you look at the weather a month at a time, you can walk your way through 10-15 years worth of weather and see that this is NOT typical.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:00 AM

12,062 posts, read 7,922,056 times
Years ago we would visit friends in Prineville during the summer. Bend & PV were Hot. Went fishin' at PV Lake.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Not from Bend, from from the east side of the Cascades - last year was much more typical than this year. All through the northwest, on both sides of the Cascades, this spring has been much cooler and wetter than normal - enough to set new records.

If you go to one of the weather site (like wunderground) that lets you look at the weather a month at a time, you can walk your way through 10-15 years worth of weather and see that this is NOT typical.
This is what I've been hearing, but when I did a search of weather trends over the past 10 years, I was a bit shocked. I noticed the average temperature for June seemed to be high 50s to low 60s. I found this strange because I keep hearing the average on the news is mid-70s. I'm not sure where this data is coming from, but wunderground clearly showed the average high (at least for this date, couldn't get it for the entire month) was 59 degrees. Precip was much lower overall, which is good to know, but temps were quite low as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xerothehero222 View Post
I wish the lie about Bend getting a lot of sun would stop spreading, we barely get more sun than portland. Overcast days are the norm, year round.

check the chart for bend:
Ugh, that's what I'm afraid of! I saw this chart for Bend before we moved here, but after much research and discussion with a friend who lived in Bend, as well as a family member trying to convince us to move the Bend (perhaps this is the problem), I was assured the weather was very similar to Colorado (where I moved from).

I love Bend, but overall the weather may just do me in. I don't mind the cold and snow during winter months. I'm from Colorado after all, and plenty used to it. However, I do feel as though Bend is strongly influenced by the PNW weather pattern (my mistake for not realizing this before we moved) and with that comes unpredictable weather. I'm hoping we get summer. That's really going to kill me if we don't. We've had a few nice days so far, but I need many, many more if I'm going to survive here!

Thanks for the feedback.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:18 PM

499 posts, read 552,074 times
I have homes both outside Portland and in Central Oregon. I'm an older lifelong Oregonian.

The last time I saw a wet spring like this here in Central Oregon was in the the first year we bought our place, and I thought I'd made a huge mistake (around '99-2000?). But since then, haven't seen another that bad until now.

I'd lived on the rainy side until I was in my 40s, and there is no comparison in the total amount of cloudy/rainy days. None. I had grown so tired of constant drizzle/heavy downpours/etc over the decades that I told dh we were moving to somewhere with drier weather - Central Oregon, California, Arizona, I didn't care. But I'd finally had enough, and no, even the lush vegetation wasn't enough to keep me happy anymore.

We tried Central Oregon first, and I can say after a decade here that it is much drier and sunnier the Valley. My only issue now is the winter snow/cold, and even the daily temp swings other times of year (65 day; <35 evening). In my 40s, I loved having my precip in the form of snow here, and was really active outside daily in it - the cold wasn't the damp cold of the valley, so I was happy as a clam even in the mid-teens here. Now, in my 50s, it is tougher on my body and I am not as fond of the cold.

This isn't Arizona, or Florida or Southern California type weather here in CO. But I will tell you that when I hear rain here, it takes me a minute to remember what it is, and calm down that it won't last long - maybe just hours, or overnight if it even happens. In Portland? Days, turning into weeks, turning into months of solid rain at times - I was more likely to freak out when I didn't hear the water on the roof, lol. The last couple of decades on the rainy side has seen lighter rainfall totals and more warm summer weather. When I was growing up, rain didn't quit reliably until July, and the "hot" summer consisted of 2 weeks in Aug where it might get in the 80s. And then it went overcast/precip again until the next year. We did everything in constant rain back then.

When I lived on the rainy side, I always had multiple umbrellas that I was never without (for me, dh, each car, truck, the house, the barn, etc). I don't have a single umbrella here, nor even a heavy rain coat (just light stuff for sprinkles). Whenever I am staying over there, I just get annoyed doing everything in a light drizzle.

ETA: if this unusual wet spring weather ever becomes the norm here, I will move.

Last edited by sugarsugar; 06-20-2010 at 02:41 PM..

Old 06-20-2010, 01:24 PM

3,994 posts, read 7,473,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
This is what I've been hearing, but when I did a search of weather trends over the past 10 years, I was a bit shocked. I noticed the average temperature for June seemed to be high 50s to low 60s. I found this strange because I keep hearing the average on the news is mid-70s. I'm not sure where this data is coming from, but wunderground clearly showed the average high (at least for this date, couldn't get it for the entire month) was 59 degrees. Precip was much lower overall, which is good to know, but temps were quite low as well.
Looking at data for the Redmond airport (a long-term weather site), I get a 45 yr average April high of about 62, average May high of about 70, June high of about 78, July about 85. Microclimates and short-term weather patterns (El Nino/La Nina) not withstanding.

Microclimates are a huge influence, of course - the main weather station 7 miles from me (in Chiloquin), often shows highs and lows that are 10 degrees or more from my weather station.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:42 AM

20 posts, read 30,301 times
Just wanted to chime in here from the midwest (moving next summer) that we are having a very wet year thus far! (is this the El Nino/La Nina you were talking about PNW-type- gal??) Anyway....We shoveled more snow than I have ever seen here in Kansas City in all my 30 yrs, and this spring we are flooding! (including my basement!!) We are getting huge thunderstorms, and major downpours! Then after the storm pushes through it's back up to mid 90's with horrible humidity and major mosquitos! I cannot let the kids play outside because of the bugs, plus they are drenched in sweat (or rain) Our Junes are usually gorgeous as well as our fall. This winter is what did it in for me...way too cold to even enjoy the snow, and this spring is not helping! So we are on our way next summer....the weather better figure itself out!
(I lived in Denver for 8 yrs too...so looking forward to Bend's weather)

Old 06-21-2010, 04:27 PM

758 posts, read 1,272,737 times
We get springs like this every 3-4 years. That's why the saying in Oregon is, Summer starts on the 4th of July.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiled View Post
We get springs like this every 3-4 years. That's why the saying in Oregon is, Summer starts on the 4th of July.
Really?!?! Oh boy...I've heard that saying a lot, but I've also heard it doesn't apply to Bend. There's so much conflicting information out there it's hard to tell what's correct and what's not. The weather statistical data is probably the best indicator, but either I'm interpreting it wrong, or I'm in one of those microclimate zones. I guess I'm just struggling with the fact that real summer weather (IMO that's shorts & t-shirt, warm evenings, above 80 in the day) hasn't arrived yet and I know it will end in August too.

Well, I'll try to make the most of it while I can. I just hope this is one of those for the record book years, in terms of both moisture and temperatures! I can deal with a rain shower, but it's the cold temps that are proving harder for me to handle.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:11 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,123,129 times
Just checked the weather real fast and says there will be a high of 76 tomorrow. I know thats not what you're talking about (You were saying THIS spring never warmed up), but I'd say that's shorts weather, no?

Also, in looking at the 10 day forecast there isn't one day with rain and very little cloud-age throughout the week. Albeit, the temperatures are in the mid to lower 70's as highs......

From my research there seems to be two distinct weather extremes in Bend. You have two months of guaranteed cold/snow -Dec & Jan- and two months of guarantee hot and sunny weather -July & August-. Excluding these 4 months, the temperatures are pretty unpredictable which makes sense at the altitude/proximity to the range. Sounds like this year is an anomaly?

(Full disclosure: I've never lived at altitude or very close to mountains -only going off what I've read- so I don't actually know what "altitude weather" is like.

Question for you:
You said this is your second Spring in Bend? How was last spring compared to this wet cold one? Any better?

Also, how did last summer (July & August) compare to your Colorado days?

PS- Thanks for all your help earlier this year. I really appreciated all your insight. Your food and beer suggestions were awesome, especially the Deschutes Brewery- amazing beer. Never got the chance to try Typhoons, but eat at Toomies Thia Cuisine down town 3 times and was really impressed with the small town Thia. Actually, I was really impressed with the quality of food and culture the entire trip. I went to 2 film festivals, two live music events and "Ignite Bend" all in under two weeks. Not bad for a 80,000 person town in a depressed economy......

Last edited by kapetrich; 06-21-2010 at 10:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend