U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 03:27 PM

67 posts, read 48,672 times

Advertisements

Hi - I would appreciate any insight on Crescent, OR - water, gardening, snow levels (road maintenance in winter) ... basically the pros and cons to relocating to the area (retirement).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 04:55 PM

20,999 posts, read 25,765,271 times
Crescent is really cute, really really small, and gets a lot of snow in the winter.

The highway runs right through it and that will be plowed, but still icy.

There isn't much there, but the area is attractive.

Old 12-25-2017, 04:53 PM

2 posts, read 780 times
We moved to Lapine in 2013. It has a bad wrap in my opinion. But, I think a lot has changed in my short time so far. The real estate market is just too high in Bend, so I think it is driving decent families south that are willing to make the commute. As a result, I think the population is evolving for the better. Sure, there are still tweakers here and there, but DCSO has at least 2 deputies on at all times down here which helps a lot. And, the EMS department is very good, just longer response times due to the geography. My main tip is check out the neighbors before you buy. If you have good neighbors here, it is paradise. If you have bad ones, it could be hell. And, as for schools, LP schools are okay. We chose to haul ours up to Bend High as it was on the way for us anyways for work.

Old 12-25-2017, 04:55 PM

2 posts, read 780 times
I like Crescent too. Just beware that there isn't really any police presence and the little EMS agency has a huge response area (so not a good place to have the big one).

Old 05-18-2018, 12:19 PM

30 posts, read 95,030 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
I live on the north side of highway 97, right in the center of downtown La Pine. I've lived here for 8 years. Never in all these years have I seen 60 inches of accumulated snow! Maybe in some years there might be that much snow all winter, maybe even accumulating to that depth. However, this is really not the normal winter.
Winter snow starts as early as September and can last through May. There is no way that winter in La Pine is short... longest winters I have ever experienced in my life. At least that was the winter of '10-'11!!
Nights are bone chilling cold... the coldest night so far has been -12 back in December of '05. We are still dropping below freezing some nights, and have had chances of snow just this past week. (Got none.) Winter nights are cold for sure, but our house actually gets colder during summer nights because we shut the heat off for good sometime in June. (We used the heater this morning.)
We've had a good long spring this year. Summer will probably (hopefully!) only last three weeks. Highs can get into the low 100s, but never sustained and the real heat only lasts for a few short weeks. Makes the COLD nights so much more enjoyable.
Little wind? Not so! It is often windy here. Not super strong winds, but gusts upwards of 50 mph+ DO happen.
Matter of fact, late last December we had a dead Pine Tree fall onto the roof of our house. The wind was really whipping that day and we always feared that tree was coming down. Thankfully it did no damage (thanks to a sapling tree that was closer to the house and caught one of the dead tree branches) and was quickly removed.
La Pine has all kinds of weather. My favorite? Those days when we experience all 4 seasons in 24 hours.
I lived in Bend and Sunriver for twelve years. La Pine does get 50-60 inches of snow a year. I think you are referring to snow depth, which probably means 12 inches deep on average for La Pine. Minus 12? I don't buy it. In the twelve years I lived in that area the warmest winter saw only one low temp of - 7. All the other winters saw at least one night between - 10 and - 20, with one night down to - 28. I've never seen September snow in that area. Late October is more like it, with Bend getting their first snow in mid-November.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or