U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-14-2010, 08:05 PM

54 posts, read 174,477 times
middleoftheroad:
Your simple inquiry certainly aroused a lot of spirited responses. May I add my 2-bits worth?
My wife and I have experience with the Redwood Coast (Eureka, etc.), Grants Pass, and to a lesser degree Redmond (Oregon, that is).
The things you see in Redmond are the same things we see there and we too feel it is a nice little town without the traffic you find in Bend. Of course, you can always avail yourself of Bend's greater amenities when you feel the need. The winters in Central Oregon are somewhat colder. So, that's one trade-off you need to be prepared for.
Shady Cove is a quaint little town but has only minimal services and conveniences. You would be driving in to Medford a lot. Grants Pass has quite a bit to offer. It's slightly larger than Redmond.
The winters are not as cold in the Rogue River area but they are wetter and foggier than the Redmond area, and the summers will be a little hotter for a longer period of time than Central Oregon. Once again, Grants Pass offers more of a small town feeling, with Medford (30 miles away) offering more of the "big city" amenities.
You're certainly right about gas prices on the Redwood Coast. They are consistently $.20-40 higher than Oregon, and most of the rest of California. There are only two suppliers of gasoline in the area and the prices rarely ever vary more than $.02 from the highest to the lowest anywhere in Humboldt-Del Norte Counties, for the same octane level. (It's called a monopoly!) All the gas is brought in by barge.
Anyway, best wishes on your retirement choice. We think Redmond would be a very nice choice, with Grants Pass a close second, if you would prefer winters that are warmer, but wetter and grayer.
minorbrew
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 09:31 AM

174 posts, read 261,053 times
Default I am the OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Uh... OK?

I was just adding in my observations as the OP seemed to be on a fixed income and money is a concern.
I am the OP, and I just think that property tax is the greatest problem for someone moving there, if they are aware of weather, roads, length to medical, etc. I say the no sales tax balances (in fact favors) the difference between a lot of other states and OR.

And, from what I saw in the papers, and on the trusty ol' TV tube, OR is starting to allow more and more re-assessments to lower the tax basis on individual properties. I hear it is a pain, takes a while, but in the end it's better than paying $2200 in tax for a house you bought for $80K.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:46 AM

Default where y'all from, Bubba?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
That's because in California it's full of residents that demand every amenity under the sun....but who don't want to actually pay for them. As a result, fuel taxes in California have been one of the few ways the polis have been able to pay for the demands of a ridiculously greedy populace.
You're probably born somewhere other than OR.....MOST folks are!

Without the 'greedy residents' from CA coming up there to buy homes, and pay for hotels, motels, food, gas and all of the other goodies home-hunters, deer hunters, and vacationers spend their dollars on, Central Or would have gone bust a while ago. The tax dollars that those same house-hunters pay adds up to a major portion of the economy at large in Or. But thanks to wise-guys like you, we just love to support your sagging economy, and keep coming back over and over, paying those home taxes, and hoping you're enjoying not being in worse shape than you already are. Would you rather we just stayed in Idaho, Montana, and other places, or how about we stay home, and mail the check into your local Chamber of Commerce? And the Californian 'every amenity under the sun' you spoke so venomously about does NOT exist in the No Cal Coastal area. We pay the high gas prices because the Oil Co knows that they can get it-from OTHER tourists who feel the need to come up to the Redwoods, and are willing to fork out that price.

Your economy isn't bulletproof, either, so be careful with what you wish for. In fact, as we speak, your housing market just took another dump-did you hear it? Now that 3/2 on 1/2 acre I was looking at just went down another $15K!

Someday soon, I will be your neighbor. Be nice, or look for help from your grumpy, scowling, anti-be-good-to-your-fellow-man pals, and not from me, or other folks just trying to retire to a better place.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:53 AM

94 posts, read 244,105 times
I must say, middleoftheroad, your on-line persona comes across as very arrogant, condescending and rude. if you are in person as you appear to be on the internet, it is understandable why Oregonians have stereotyped Californians in a negative light.

People have offered you advice, which you criticized or responded to aggressively, and then you just took a dump on the state you are asking about retiring to.

you're a strange dude.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:58 AM

Default thanks for your kindly reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorbrew View Post
middleoftheroad:
Your simple inquiry certainly aroused a lot of spirited responses. May I add my 2-bits worth?
My wife and I have experience with the Redwood Coast (Eureka, etc.), Grants Pass, and to a lesser degree Redmond (Oregon, that is).
The things you see in Redmond are the same things we see there and we too feel it is a nice little town without the traffic you find in Bend. Of course, you can always avail yourself of Bend's greater amenities when you feel the need. The winters in Central Oregon are somewhat colder. So, that's one trade-off you need to be prepared for.
Shady Cove is a quaint little town but has only minimal services and conveniences. You would be driving in to Medford a lot. Grants Pass has quite a bit to offer. It's slightly larger than Redmond.
The winters are not as cold in the Rogue River area but they are wetter and foggier than the Redmond area, and the summers will be a little hotter for a longer period of time than Central Oregon. Once again, Grants Pass offers more of a small town feeling, with Medford (30 miles away) offering more of the "big city" amenities.
You're certainly right about gas prices on the Redwood Coast. They are consistently $.20-40 higher than Oregon, and most of the rest of California. There are only two suppliers of gasoline in the area and the prices rarely ever vary more than $.02 from the highest to the lowest anywhere in Humboldt-Del Norte Counties, for the same octane level. (It's called a monopoly!) All the gas is brought in by barge.
Anyway, best wishes on your retirement choice. We think Redmond would be a very nice choice, with Grants Pass a close second, if you would prefer winters that are warmer, but wetter and grayer.
minorbrew
Unlike a few posters here, (ahem), I found your reply interesting, and welcoming. Thanks!

One of the first things I look at (not positive of its exact correctness) is the city-data crime index for an area. I was sorta surprised to see that Grants Pass is remarkably lower in those stats. We will certainly do some investigation re the possibility in the outlying areas, as we don't want to live in the city, unless we can come across an older, well maintained house. My wife LOVES Craftsman, and Bungalow style homes, esp from the late 1800's-early 1900's. I can love 'em too, if they are well maintained, and are not a money-hole.

In passing, I also will be looking at Gold Hill, Eagle Point, etc. A drive of 15-20 mins to town is easy. And I like the 'just outside of town' feeling in those 'neighborhoods.' Seems a bit slower, but that can be controlled by an occasional trip into the 'city' for dining, a movie, a trip to the museum, etc.

Thanks again....

Old 10-15-2010, 10:06 AM

Default not so strange....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayZ750 View Post
I must say, middleoftheroad, your on-line persona comes across as very arrogant, condescending and rude. if you are in person as you appear to be on the internet, it is understandable why Oregonians have stereotyped Californians in a negative light.

People have offered you advice, which you criticized or responded to aggressively, and then you just took a dump on the state you are asking about retiring to.

you're a strange dude.
When a poster says.. "California it's full of residents....a ridiculously greedy populace" since we are living here, and not entirely by choice-(we had three family illnesses that all ended unfavorably, and felt the need to move here to try to help), when someone speaks in general terms, to include me and my wife, either directly or indirectly, as I feel this poster has, I will respond with the truth. I did not appreciate being called 'a member of a greedy populace' from some curmudgeon that doesn't know us or care to.

As for your opinion, you are certainly entitled to that. Sorry you feel that way!

BTW.. I was not intending to really 'dump' on OR, or any other place. If you like real truth, then you have to acknowledge that the housing market nationwide is still going down in chunks! This 'temp moratorium' on foreclosure is a matchstick crutch-it isn't really a help. I stated the fact, albeit somewhat starkly, but I really just wanted to point out that the markets and economies EVERYWHERE are such that any added revenues should be welcomed as they arrive.

Last edited by middleoftheroad; 10-15-2010 at 10:44 AM.. Reason: add

Old 10-15-2010, 10:39 AM

Default sorry-replied to the wrong poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
And extra cost food costs too. Dining is cheaper then in Portland over all, but with much less variety. But your basic staples are going to be a few cents to a few dollars more expensive.
that message about being NE was for Xanathos. You know whom I mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend