Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 01:58 AM

1,337 posts, read 3,263,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
No, I think it actually has to do a lot with mineral rights and the whole gold and silver rush. Many people bought mining claims way back in the day at dirt cheap prices. Then when the mining industry went bust, they sat on these pieces of land that were essentially worthless. But then downhill skiing and resort building started to really take hold and all that worthless land suddenly had great use. Things that could be developed suddenly started popping up resorts. The other land that couldn't be developed was either never purchased, or already established in the Forest Reserves (now the USFS). Now if you've ever skied Deer Valley in Utah, well that is pretty much all private and it's weird, IMO. You literally ski around a bunch of houses.

Oregon didn't have a big rush of gold and silver mining because our mountains are volcanic.

Hey, I think i remembered something from Forestry school, haha!
That makes complete sense. Wow, thanks, Delta - I feel like I should take a class or two in Forestry.....I know nothing about the West and its development. In school, it seemed, we learned about the discovery of the West, how the US got the land, the Gold rush in California and then....well, it seemed the hippie movement and skiing started in the 50's and 60's.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 11:36 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,652,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
That makes complete sense. Wow, thanks, Delta - I feel like I should take a class or two in Forestry.....I know nothing about the West and its development. In school, it seemed, we learned about the discovery of the West, how the US got the land, the Gold rush in California and then....well, it seemed the hippie movement and skiing started in the 50's and 60's.....
The west and the east are very different, especially when it comes to water rights. If you're at all interested in owning a chunk of property at some point in the west, I'd highly recommend you at least familiarize yourself with water rights in the west. Unlike the east, you do not necessarily own the water on your land. It's pretty complicated!

Glad I could help you out. I may not have it all exactly right, as I'm going off memory here and it's been a while since I've been in school! It's interesting stuff though, at least IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
View detailed profiles of: