U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2010, 01:18 PM

13 posts, read 34,147 times

Advertisements

Been doing alot of reading on Bend today and see that some people mention gang trouble in bend. Is this true? Also any additional imformation on Bend would be very helpful. ANYTHING at all that some one should know before considering a move there.

THANKS ALL! ALL you people ROCK for answering these questions
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 02:05 PM

8,000 posts, read 15,420,234 times
Why would people mention it if it wasn't true?

Old 12-15-2010, 02:31 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,931,816 times
Gang's in Bend?

What's your definition of a 'gang'. Kids who like to hit mail boxes and vandalize or the organized drug variety?

To say Bend has no gangs would be misleading due to ones definition of what a 'gang' is. To say Bend has a gang problem or that gangs are even on the radar would also be misleading.

---
Bend is on some top lists as safest cities in the country. I don't have any on hand, but I'm sure someone on here can direct you to them.

Last edited by kapetrich; 12-15-2010 at 02:42 PM..

Old 12-15-2010, 02:35 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,931,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Why would people mention it if it wasn't true?
Yes. Yes they would. People give out miss information all the time. Not just in small town synopsis's.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:59 PM

4,239 posts, read 6,440,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
Gang's in Bend?
--
Bend is on some top lists as safest cities in the country. I don't have any on hand, but I'm sure someone on here can direct you to them.
http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Bend-Oregon.html

Old 12-15-2010, 03:02 PM

13 posts, read 34,147 times
Thanks again kap. Just making sure i don't have to worry about being mugged or car broken into. I talked to a realtor earlier today and she said she doesn't lock her car or house. Not sure if she was being biaest or not, that's why I posted.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:33 PM

3,296 posts, read 8,857,440 times
There seems to be a rise in petty crime in Central Oregon, but I wouldn't say this is gang activity. Do I lock my house and car...sure, when I remember! Crime can and will happen when the economy is at its worst, which for Bend and the rest of Oregon, seems to be the case.

There also seems to be more street kids that when I moved here 2 years ago. I'm sure this is another tragedy of our current unemployment rate. However, I feel very safe in Bend. I, as a woman, am not worried about walking around town alone late at night, etc. The only place I've ever felt safer was when I lived in a cabin in the middle of the Colorado Rockies. Of course, that had its risks as well.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:15 PM

5,894 posts, read 5,437,686 times
There is probably gang activity in all big cities, most medium sized cities and a fair number of smaller cities and towns. The amount and visibility may vary but it is widespread.

Not all drug trafficking falls under gangs or the traditional definition of gangs but they go pretty hand and hand and I don't feel a need to separate them. Here is a page from the Dept of Justice about drug trafficking in Oregon, including the Bend area. http://www.justice.gov/ndic/pubs23/23915/markets.htm
They clearly state that organized crime runs that show as it does most places. That probably isn't all they do. They will certainly defend that money-making operation from others and most probably look for other money making opportunities. Whether they are into public status and havoc-making will vary. For some that is a big thing, for others it is bad business and career threatening.

This site http://www.nwgangs.com/25164.html (broken link) is fairly comprehensive about Northwest gang activity but there is probably more and in more places than you can find or have time to write about. Madras and Jefferson County to the north of Bend are mentioned but I can't really imagine that gangs aren't pretty deep in Bend too.

Check the local papers and google around if you want to research the local situation more and make your own guess at the size of the problem(s) there and relative to other places. There was a big meth bust there in the last week or two involving recent arrivals from California I believe. But check around enough and you will find similar stories of drug dealing / gang activity most places. Some papers though will play each and every story big on the front page while some barely mention them or not at all unless they are really unusual or public spectacles, so it is hard to tell the relative size of the problems between communities solely from media sources. In some places the knowledge about gang activity and willingness to recognize it in casual conversations is more widespread than others.

Last edited by NW Crow; 12-15-2010 at 09:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend