U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 04:21 PM

74 posts, read 68,786 times
Default Where is the REAL answer? Redmond Weather question...

I have read this forum, and several other pages, and I thought I might also pose this question here .. I guess I'm hoping for a 'majority' but I'm not sure one is available. I have also asked a few members of this forum, but still, no definitive proof or data.

The question is 'simple' or so I thought.......
How many sunny days does Redmond, OR average annually? Here is one source, claiming 300 days annually, but I find it difficult to swallow. That seems more like Phoenix might see. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 06:33 PM

6,478 posts, read 5,671,134 times
Central Oregon has over 250 days of sun a year on average. But the average year round temperature is in the low 40's.

Redmond is at the North end of the High Desert area, so lots of rain is stopped by the mountains to the west.

The Redmond Chamber of Commerce's site is probably the best for accurate stats: Redmond Chamber of Commerce and Convention Visitor's Bureau. Traveling or vacationing, work or play, we're the ones in the sun in Central Oregon. Redmond, Oregon 97756

Old 01-25-2011, 10:45 AM

2,921 posts, read 4,595,196 times
Well if you take a look at the Redmond sunshine data from the City-Data website, it certainly doesn't live up to that claim. In fact, during the late fall and winter months, the percent of sunshine is actually lower than the US average. The only time we are actually above the US average is during July. I had a hard time finding what the actual US average was though, but I'm guessing it's not 300 days.

After living in Bend for 2.5 years, and this is my 3rd winter, I would definitely say we don't get 300 days of sunshine. I grew up in Colorado and lived there most of my life, which is much closer to 300 than anything I've experienced here. The summers in Central Oregon are fabulous, but they are wonderful throughout the PNW. The spring/fall and winter can be more difficult. We are still greatly influenced by the ocean and so gray skies are more common during those months than what I experienced in Colorado. I find it more difficult to have the clouds in winter, as the temperatures are cold and the days are short. However, if you are used to winters like that, or even worse, it could be the place for you. We do have days of sun, and much more in the winter than anywhere west of the Cascades experiences.
Attached Thumbnails
Where is the REAL answer? Redmond Weather question...-redmond_sunshine.png  

Old 01-25-2011, 01:33 PM

6,478 posts, read 5,671,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
We are still greatly influenced by the ocean and so gray skies are more common during those months than what I experienced in Colorado. I find it more difficult to have the clouds in winter, as the temperatures are cold and the days are short. However, if you are used to winters like that, or even worse, it could be the place for you. We do have days of sun, and much more in the winter than anywhere west of the Cascades experiences.
It would be more accurate to say that Central (and Eastern) Oregon is heavily influenced by weather traveling south from Alaska/Canada then the Ocean. A portion of this weather does come in from the West, forced inland from the Ocean by Oregon's geography, either via the Columbia Gorge, or over the other passes.

Luckily (or unluckily depending on your occupation,) two mountain ranges suffice to keep the bulk of the precipitation on the west side leaving high level gray clouds. At this point the clouds have lost so much precipitation that they tend to start breaking up.

But those same patterns actually affect everything East for hundreds of miles. You can easily drive East and keep ahead of storm fronts all through Central and Eastern Oregon. I was once chased by one from Bend all the way southeast to Lakeview and then across to Winnemucca Nevada.

The counter to this is weather patterns that come in from the three Eastern Directions.

I think the claim to 250+ days of sun includes partially sunny days, where cloud cover is down to 50% or less. I'm not sure of the exact number, it's been a few years since I read up on Meteorology.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:53 PM

8,968 posts, read 5,532,817 times
No way do they get 300 days. Winters can be gloomy and cold, but probably a lot sunnier than the westside.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:42 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,229,850 times
The Bend Chamber of Commerce claims 263 days of clear and/or mostly sunny days:
---

Sunshine:

Bend has the highest average number of sunny days in the state. Clear days average 158 days per year with an additional 105 days that are mostly sunny. Many of the remaining days provide substantial sunshine.

Source: Weather Stats

Old 12-05-2012, 01:10 PM

2 posts, read 2,885 times
We claim to have 320 sunny days here in Redmond and claim to have more than bend for this reason. Redmond is lower than Bend, by about a 1000 feet. So when it's raining or snowing in Bend, it's mostly sunny in Redmond. Today it's sunny, and it's Decmeber 5th. I think what these number count is days that it's sunny more than half the day. It's cloudy in the mornings and most rains are at night, but in Redmond it's mostly sunny throughout the year. Just last weekend it poured all day in Bend but was sunny all day in Redmond. I would say the past year, 2012, there were atleast 300 days of sunshine in Redmond. I would say about 250 for Bend. They get more rain, clouds and snow. Redmond is a high desert. I lived in Phoenix almost my whole life and yes they get more like 350 days a year for sunshine. The main reason I chose Redmond is for the days of Sunshine and for the two years I have lived here, i would say it's pretty close to Phoenix so far. But, Im sure Redmond has had some bad winters and bad summers. This past summer it didn't rain for 3 months, not a cloud in the sky and the temps were in the 90's. Just how I like it. I think the number is a little high, but again I don't think it's based on blue skies, I think it's based on if the day is more sunnier than cloudy. Either way, I would say Redmond is more like Phoenix weather, besides the cold, than Bend's weather. Thanks.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:15 PM

2 posts, read 2,885 times
[URL]http://www.visitredmondoregon.com/?fuseaction=Home.weather[/URL]

Old 12-05-2012, 06:27 PM

4,067 posts, read 7,721,749 times
Redmond can claim anything it wants - there is NO place in Oregon that averages 320 days of sun in a year. Down in my corner, seven years of weather station data says 220-240 days of sun, which agrees with AgriMet (AgriMet doesn't tally sunny days, but they do tally heating degree and cooling degree days and their numbers and my numbers agree). My local Chamber of Commerce claims 290 days of sun (they used to claim "over 300", wonder who made them change it?), which is likewise BS.

It's very common, in all of Oregon, with the exception of the coastal areas, for summers to be very dry, without significant rain. There is no summer monsoon up here.

Last edited by PNW-type-gal; 12-05-2012 at 06:45 PM.. Reason: added

Old 12-05-2012, 08:33 PM

17 posts, read 14,426 times
Las Vegas, where I currently reside, averages 270 sunny days per year - second only to Phoenix by about 10 days. Ain't no way any place in Oregon even comes close.

They most likely count a sunny day if the sun pops out from behind a cloud for 10 seconds.

And in 9 days I will be a Bendite!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend