Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 12:34 AM

12 posts, read 56,221 times

Advertisements

Hi there!

My husband & I are planning on moving to Bend, Oregon in May 2012. I have a few questions as we aren't sure if we'll be able to make a trip out there before the "Big Move." We've read that there are TONS of things for families to do which is important as we have a 19mth old son and a 5mth old daughter. I'm going to school full-time (online) and my husband is currently the Director of Maintenance & Environmental Services at a long-term care facility.

I'm wondering how the job market is in Bend for his line of work? He has a background of 5+ years in the maintenance field within the hospital setting. We seen online that there are several different job agencies there - how difficult would it be to move there and get a job within a month or two?

How is the housing situation there? We would like a 3bed/2ba house with a fenced yard, but may stay in an apartment while we are getting settled in. Are there any parts of town that it would be unwise for a young mother of two to be walking around at night in? We're from a small town in Colorado so that's not a big deal here.

Also, how about the air quality? I've seen a few posts from 2006 that said it wasn't the greatest.

From everything that we've read and seen online, it seems as if Bend is a family-friendly/orientated city with that "small town" feel, it's absolutely beautiful, strong economy, and reasonable housing prices. Would that be a fair assessment?

Thank you all so much for any help/information/advice you can give! It's most appreciated =).

-Amber
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 10:12 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,685,665 times
Hi Amber,

My husband and I moved to Bend a little over 3 years ago from Grand Junction, CO. I was born and raised in the Denver area and lived in various Colorado towns/cities throughout my life. With that said, what are your reasons for moving to Bend? I've posted quite a bit on this forum about the weather in Bend (you can do a search to find those). Coming from CO, it was quite a change for me. While we do have plenty of sunny days, those occur mostly in the summer. As winter rolls around we do get quite a bit of cloud cover like most of the PNW. It's a bit depressing being from the sunny state of CO. Just something you should consider.

In terms of the job market, I would really advise you not to move here unless your husband has employment secured. The unemployment rate for Deschutes Co. hovers between 12-14%. If you do move here without jobs secured, your goal of finding work within a few months is going to be extremely difficult. This town is over-run with skilled laborers and most hospital facilities are cutting positions. My husband is a nurse at St. Charles, the only true hospital in Bend, and they are laying people off left and right. Just take a look at the classifieds in either the Bend Bulletin (our local paper) or on Craigslist to see there are very few jobs.

I don't mean to sound all doom and gloom, but Bend unfortunately was hit extremely hard with the economy. While there are people on this forum who moved here and found jobs recently, most are young and don't have families to support. I would not move here in your situation unless you have work. The stuff you read about Bend having a strong economy must be really old because that's just not the case anymore. It's pretty much a crap shoot!

Old 09-16-2011, 11:10 AM

1,337 posts, read 3,277,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahldouglas View Post
My husband & I are planning on moving to Bend, Oregon in May 2012. I have a few questions as we aren't sure if we'll be able to make a trip out there before the "Big Move." We've read that there are TONS of things for families to do which is important as we have a 19mth old son and a 5mth old daughter. I'm going to school full-time (online) and my husband is currently the Director of Maintenance & Environmental Services at a long-term care facility.
I would definitely attempt to visit before moving here. Even if it was JUST you without your husband (since you'd have more schedule flexibility) I would highly advise this. I'd imagine you'd end up painting Bend as the place that you want rather than what it really is. I believe you will inevitably be let down based off expectations.

As for jobs. Since you are going to school full time you will not have a problem. Your husband on the other hand may find it difficult to find a job with such a specified work criteria. I can tell you from my and two other roommates experience that it was not at all hard for us to find jobs. But we are all in our mid-20's, college (some graduate) educated, from the east coast and would take almost any job that offered a salary and benefits (we have all since been given promotions that match our credentials). Essentially, our job net was HUGE. If your husband can do this, your odds are much better. If not, I'd wait till' he's been given a job offer to make the move due to your child and it's well being.

I don't want to come across negative. Believe me, I am one of those people that is VERY supportive of the dreamers (check my posts). I am one myself. I visited once 1.5 years ago and moved here 6 months later without a job in sight, but I definitely become more cautious with my advice when it comes to families.....I do not have one and I could not begin to understand the complexity this variable adds to any situation.

As for tons of things to do for a family. This is true. It is almost ridiculous how many people have moved here in the last 15 years SPECIFICALLY to raise their children. It was extremely shocking for me to see so many children running around after living most of my life in cities. Also, from what I am used to, there are TONS of offerings for children in the area, but understand where I'm comparing this to. There are others on this board with children that can give you specifics.

Quote:
I'm wondering how the job market is in Bend for his line of work? He has a background of 5+ years in the maintenance field within the hospital setting. We seen online that there are several different job agencies there - how difficult would it be to move there and get a job within a month or two?
Luckily, healthcare is one of the 'better' sectors of our economy. A poster by the name of Delta has experience with the hospital setting through her husband, I believe. I am sure she can point you in the right direction some.

Quote:
How is the housing situation there? We would like a 3bed/2ba house with a fenced yard, but may stay in an apartment while we are getting settled in.
Bend grew greatly during the lost decade. During this time there was a hugely overinflated housing market for many complex reasons. Now that the sh*t has hit the fan, so to speak. Housing prices have dropped 45-70% across the board. imho, it is an amazing time to buy and would be an even better time (by 2-4%) in May 2012. I think it would be smart, though, to move here and rent for a few months or a year. It would help you settle in, check out each part of town and truly pick your perfect location.

As for housing prices. As a generalization, anything east is cheaper than west. Let us know if you'd like specifics.

Quote:
Are there any parts of town that it would be unwise for a young mother of two to be walking around at night in? We're from a small town in Colorado so that's not a big deal here.
I am from the east coast. With this background I do not find a single place in Bend, or Portland for that matter, to be dangerous. This said, Bend is extremely safe for the size of town (I think it was top 10 safest cities in the USA last year - no source, sorry). I leave my house unlocked and my car keys in my car every.single.day. Probably a bad idea for the long run, but one of the reasons I moved here was for its relative safety which I feel on a day to day basis. Also, my two roommates are women and have never mentioned to me that they have been scared to walk around alone at night or otherwise.

I believe the largest sector of crime is petty crime. Specifically, car stereo theft and open garage rummaging, etc.

Quote:
Also, how about the air quality? I've seen a few posts from 2006 that said it wasn't the greatest.
The air quality is amazing save for when there is a forrest fire. If you are from Colorado, you'll be used to this. Do not listen to anyone who believes Bend has bad air quality. They are being hyperbolic to say the least.

Quote:
From everything that we've read and seen online, it seems as if Bend is a family-friendly/orientated city with that "small town" feel, it's absolutely beautiful, strong economy, and reasonable housing prices. Would that be a fair assessment?
I would say this is pretty spot on save for the strong economy and reasonable housing. The economy WAS 'strong', but this was before the bubble burst. Essentially, Bend, and like towns, is very much tied to the boom and bust cycle of our pseudo capitalist market because it is not a very diversified and dynamic economy. When the USA is in a boom period, Bend will boom quicker and harder than many places around the country, but the converse is also true. When the USA is in a bust cycle, Bend, and like towns, will suffer more hardships for a longer period of time. The latter is where we are now.

Housing prices are now more reasonable than they were, but compared to income levels they are still decently high. Bend is a quality of life location. Many people with money move here which in turn inflate the market to a degree. Again, though, this all depends on your perspective of what reasonable housing prices might be.....

Quote:
Thank you all so much for any help/information/advice you can give! It's most appreciated =).
I'll mention Delta, again. She is an even minded and helpful poster from the Bend area. She recently moved here from Colorado so I think she could be great help to you!

Let us know if you have any more specific questions and we'll be happy to help!

Good luck!

PS - Where in rural Colorado are you moving from?

Last edited by kapetrich; 09-16-2011 at 11:22 AM..

Old 09-16-2011, 11:32 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,685,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
I would definitely attempt to visit before moving here. Even if it was JUST you without your husband (since you'd have more schedule flexibility) I would highly advise this. I'd imagine you'd end up painting Bend as the place that you want rather than what it really is. I believe you will inevitably be let down based off expectations.

As for jobs. Since you are going to school full time you will not have a problem. Your husband on the other hand may find it difficult to find a job with such a specified work criteria. I can tell you from my and two other roommates experience that it was not at all hard for us to find jobs. But we are all in our mid-20's, college (some graduate) educated, from the east coast and would take almost any job that offered a salary and benefits (we have all since been given promotions that match our credentials). Essentially, our job net was HUGE. If your husband can do this, your odds are much better. If not, I'd wait till' he's been given a job offer to make the move due to your child and it's well being.

I don't want to come across negative. Believe me, I am one of those people that is VERY supportive of the dreamers (check my posts). I am one myself. I visited once 1.5 years ago and moved here 6 months later without a job in sight, but I definitely become more cautious with my advice when it comes to families.....I do not have one and I could not begin to understand the complexity this variable adds to any situation.

As for tons of things to do for a family. This is true. It is almost ridiculous how many people have moved here in the last 15 years SPECIFICALLY to raise their children. It was extremely shocking for me to see so many children running around after living most of my life in cities. Also, from what I am used to, there are TONS of offerings for children in the area, but understand where I'm comparing this to. There are others on this board with children that can give you specifics.

Luckily, healthcare is one of the 'better' sectors of our economy. A poster by the name of Delta has experience with the hospital setting through her husband, I believe. I am sure she can point you in the right direction some.

Bend grew greatly during the lost decade. During this time there was a hugely overinflated housing market for many complex reasons. Now that the sh*t has hit the fan, so to speak. Housing prices have dropped 45-70% across the board. imho, it is an amazing time to buy and would be an even better time (by 2-4%) in May 2012. I think it would be smart, though, to move here and rent for a few months or a year. It would help you settle in, check out each part of town and truly pick your perfect location.

As for housing prices. As a generalization, anything east is cheaper than west. Let us know if you'd like specifics.

I am from the east coast. With this background I do not find a single place in Bend, or Portland for that matter, to be dangerous. This said, Bend is extremely safe for the size of town (I think it was top 10 safest cities in the USA last year - no source, sorry). I leave my house unlocked and my car keys in my car every.single.day. Probably a bad idea for the long run, but one of the reasons I moved here was for its relative safety which I feel on a day to day basis. Also, my two roommates are women and have never mentioned to me that they have been scared to walk around alone at night or otherwise.

I believe the largest sector of crime is petty crime. Specifically, car stereo theft and open garage rummaging, etc.

The air quality is amazing save for when there is a forrest fire. If you are from Colorado, you'll be used to this. Do not listen to anyone who believes Bend has bad air quality. They are being hyperbolic to say the least.

I would say this is pretty spot on save for the strong economy and reasonable housing. The economy WAS 'strong', but this was before the bubble burst. Essentially, Bend, and like towns, is very much tied to the boom and bust cycle of our pseudo capitalist market because it is not a very diversified and dynamic economy. When the USA is in a boom period, Bend will boom quicker and harder than many places around the country, but the converse is also true. When the USA is in a bust cycle, Bend, and like towns, will suffer more hardships for a longer period of time. The latter is where we are now.

Housing prices are now more reasonable than they were, but compared to income levels they are still decently high. Bend is a quality of life location. Many people with money move here which in turn inflate the market to a degree. Again, though, this all depends on your perspective of what reasonable housing prices might be.....

I'll mention Delta, again. She is an even minded and helpful poster from the Bend area. She recently moved here from Colorado so I think she could be great help to you!

Good luck!

Kapetrich, we must have posted our responses at the same time, lol! Anyhow, in relation to the heath care field, I just wanted to pass along some information I received from my husband this morning. He said the hospital is currently in a hiring freeze and it's unknown how long this will last, but it doesn't look like it will lift anytime soon. Also, in respect to healthcare as an industry, it's relatively strong for direct patient care positions. However, for positions outside of patient care, it's really like any other industry in Bend...stretched far too thin and little growth.

Amber, as Kapetrich said, you should really plan a visit to Bend before committing to a move here.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
Hi Amber,

My husband and I moved to Bend a little over 3 years ago from Grand Junction, CO. I was born and raised in the Denver area and lived in various Colorado towns/cities throughout my life. With that said, what are your reasons for moving to Bend? I've posted quite a bit on this forum about the weather in Bend (you can do a search to find those). Coming from CO, it was quite a change for me. While we do have plenty of sunny days, those occur mostly in the summer. As winter rolls around we do get quite a bit of cloud cover like most of the PNW. It's a bit depressing being from the sunny state of CO. Just something you should consider.

In terms of the job market, I would really advise you not to move here unless your husband has employment secured. The unemployment rate for Deschutes Co. hovers between 12-14%. If you do move here without jobs secured, your goal of finding work within a few months is going to be extremely difficult. This town is over-run with skilled laborers and most hospital facilities are cutting positions. My husband is a nurse at St. Charles, the only true hospital in Bend, and they are laying people off left and right. Just take a look at the classifieds in either the Bend Bulletin (our local paper) or on Craigslist to see there are very few jobs.

I don't mean to sound all doom and gloom, but Bend unfortunately was hit extremely hard with the economy. While there are people on this forum who moved here and found jobs recently, most are young and don't have families to support. I would not move here in your situation unless you have work. The stuff you read about Bend having a strong economy must be really old because that's just not the case anymore. It's pretty much a crap shoot!
Hi Delta,

Thank you for your honest and frank response to my post!

My husband is going to get his CDL before we move - hopefully that will help with his marketability. He's a hard worker with a strong ethic, dependable, etc. I know that the economy sucks and that it's difficult to get a job right now, but surely there are still employers that value those qualities in an employee?

I should mention that we also have a side business of lawn care services and snow removal. Don't know how much of a market there is for that further west.

As far as why we're wanting to move? A combination of factors...

Distance from the familiar and a fresh start for our family would be near the top of the list. He is miserable at his current job (started over one department, with two others added as he's proven his worth, but with NO compensation whatsoever for the additional responsibilities AND the administrator is a real douchebag i.e. he refused to sign off on hiring someone that would have been an excellent match for a position within one of my husband's departments because he was hearing impaired and he didn't want to "hire another retard." Seriously.).

I've always loved the Pacific Northwest -- lived in Crescent City, CA for a short period of time in my late teens; have family in Olympia, WA and Grants Pass, OR. The area is just beautiful.

And it's far more family-orientated than the small towns we're accustomed to here in Colorado. Yes, they are very safe for children to run around and play... but there's not much to DO. Not a lot of community events or activities.

We've done a LOT of research on various cities within Oregon, Washington, and Northern California. We've considered Crescent City, Brookings, Newport, and the Seattle area... but Bend is the one that has stood out from all the rest.

I guess we'll see what happens! We're going to try and make it out there in March for a quick visit. He'll start sending out resumes at the beginning of the year.

-Amber D.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post

Good luck!

Hi Kapetrich,

Thank you for taking the time to write back regarding my inquiry!

There's a lot of good information there and definitely things we'll be keeping in mind as we pursue this possible move to Bend in the next year or so.

Right now, we live in Craig, Colorado - I was raised in Meeker though. Spent two years living in Grand Junction. The cost of living is quite high in the northwestern corner of the state due to the oil/gas boom of a few years ago. And we're ready for some big change, even though we do love Colorado! =)

-Amber D.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:43 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
My husband is going to get his CDL before we move - hopefully that will help with his marketability. He's a hard worker with a strong ethic, dependable, etc. I know that the economy sucks and that it's difficult to get a job right now, but surely there are still employers that value those qualities in an employee?
Yes there are but unfortunately, there are hundreds of people with these qualifications and better all looking for work right now. The problem besides lack of jobs is the very heavy competition amongst those who have been laid off and are looking for work and those who are recent transplants who move here without having a job secured.

No matter how much employers value these qualities, if there are no positions they cannot do any hiring.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:42 PM

480 posts, read 2,465,471 times
The Bend area has several assisted living facilities and construction on a new nursing home is starting soon. You might also consider Prineville and Redmond in your search in Central Oregon. I have to agree with not just packing up and moving here. You need to check it out first and certainly don't count on a job - it could takes months

Old 09-17-2011, 01:10 PM

Hi Bendite,

Thanks for the reassuring news about the assisted living facilities and new nursing home! That's definitely a positive and a step in the right direction.

After reading everyone's response, we'll definitely be making a trip out there to check things out. My husband is also posting his resume on Monster.com and we'll be keeping up with the help wanted ads via the newspaper online.

Hopefully, something will open up that he'll be hired for before we're ready to move in May...

Thanks again! =)

-Amber D.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:20 PM

504 posts, read 2,175,035 times
Hi there,

Unfortunately, Bend stands out for many people. I hate to say it, but we used to live in Medford (I worked at a few different hospitals in the Rogue Valley area). I started in the field in the early 90's, young and no kids but as the place boomed with people relocating, it got harder and harder to advance because there was just so much competition from older more experienced people wanting to move there to finish up and retire. I suspect Bend may be the same way.

I'd keep your options open. Depending on the situation, it may be easier to get a health care job in a more rural area. But then again, a big city like Seattle has more options. Also, look into schools, because Oregon schools have declined a bunch. Then again, it's hard everywhere.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend