Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 10:52 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,686,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banyaboy View Post
Small is relative, the city I work in, Bangor, has 40k, Portland, our largest city here in Maine is on par with Bend for population.
I too did not realize that there was a Russian population in the Bangor area, but it is there. No stores or restaurants, just a small group, mostly ladies, that enjoy getting together occasionally to share food, gifts, socialize and or celebrate their holidays. That's all I was really looking for.
Why Bend? We like the size of the town and the fact that there is a lot of outdoor recreation in the immediate proximity. Plus it has to be one of the most beautiful areas in the PNW. Our opinion of course. And quite simply I would like to live the second half of my life in a totally new area, new perspectives, new scenery.
We plan on doing a scouting mission the summer of 2013 for a couple weeks and get a feel for the area.
I agree, small is definitely relative! It sounds like Bend has what you are looking for. Hopefully your wife can find a small Russian community in Bend, but it seems like there are options within a few hour drive if she can't find anyone here. Good luck with your search!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 11:25 AM

1,337 posts, read 3,277,586 times
Quote:
Small is relative, the city I work in, Bangor, has 40k, Portland, our largest city here in Maine is on par with Bend for population.
I too did not realize that there was a Russian population in the Bangor area, but it is there. No stores or restaurants, just a small group, mostly ladies, that enjoy getting together occasionally to share food, gifts, socialize and or celebrate their holidays. That's all I was really looking for.
Why Bend? We like the size of the town and the fact that there is a lot of outdoor recreation in the immediate proximity. Plus it has to be one of the most beautiful areas in the PNW. Our opinion of course. And quite simply I would like to live the second half of my life in a totally new area, new perspectives, new scenery.
We plan on doing a scouting mission the summer of 2013 for a couple weeks and get a feel for the area.
I totally agree: small is definitely relative. Most everything is relative, really.

I visited Portland, MA during my search for my 'dream location' two years ago. Just to let you know: while Portland, MA and Bend, OR have similar city populations (Bend larger, actually), Portland feels significantly larger and more urban. There are MANY reasons for this, but one MAJOR factor is how much bigger Portland's metro is than Bend's. Portland's metro is literally 3x larger than Bend: 500k vs 170k. Some other factors are the long and established history of the Port in Portland and subsequent revitalization(s) as opposed to the newly 'found' quality of life area of Bend. Also, Portland has a few established and historic University's/College's in its city limits while Bend does not have one. There are other factors, but these seemed the most significant to me on my visit.

Not trying to be snarky, just want to help manage your expectations so you're not disappointed when you visit.

PS - I love the reason why you want to move to a new location.....wanting to live in a completely new location for the second half of life sounds as good as a reason as any!

Old 10-12-2011, 01:39 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,925,527 times
Bamyaboy,

We too are looking very closely at Bend for retirement and for some of the same reasons. We are not Russian but Please move next to us! I love interesting accents and Russian is one of my favorites!

Old 10-12-2011, 06:38 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,451,609 times
One thing to factor in on your ideas about moving to Bend:

If you are financially stable and have good credit, you will find out that Bend and it's surrounding communities (like Prineville for example) will offer you some excellent "bang for your buck" real estate bargains.

That town is hurting right now.

Percentage of Russions in Bends Zip Code:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

A possible source of information:
http://www.emoregon.org/ross.php

Last edited by Yac; 12-14-2012 at 07:08 AM..

Old 10-12-2011, 07:26 PM

40 posts, read 60,549 times
This has to be one of the oddest questions about Bend I've seen. My inclination is to say no, there are no Russian people in Bend, but this town has surprised me in the past. It is certainly possible that you could put up a flag and find people for your wife to commiserate with.

Apart from the hope to see Russian culture here, it sounds like you're coming to Bend for all the right reasons - and it helps you're not looking for work. Enjoy!

Old 10-13-2011, 04:44 AM

13 posts, read 33,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
I totally agree: small is definitely relative. Most everything is relative, really.

I visited Portland, MA during my search for my 'dream location' two years ago. Just to let you know: while Portland, MA and Bend, OR have similar city populations (Bend larger, actually), Portland feels significantly larger and more urban. There are MANY reasons for this, but one MAJOR factor is how much bigger Portland's metro is than Bend's. Portland's metro is literally 3x larger than Bend: 500k vs 170k. Some other factors are the long and established history of the Port in Portland and subsequent revitalization(s) as opposed to the newly 'found' quality of life area of Bend. Also, Portland has a few established and historic University's/College's in its city limits while Bend does not have one. There are other factors, but these seemed the most significant to me on my visit.

I agree that Portland is a beautiful city, and being a port city adds that flavor that is absent from 98%, guessing, of the rest of the cities in this country. The Old Port District is a great place to hang out. It is still Maine for me though. Will I miss Maine? Absolutely! We have two beautiful daughters, one lives in Portland, the other in Farmington, so we will always have reason to go visit.
Note: Please do not take this as anything but a corredction, Maine is ME. MA is Massachusetts, ewwww. We're a proud lot here in Maine. I think it is pretty much the same feeling Oregonians have about your neighbor to the south.

Quote:
Not trying to be snarky, just want to help manage your expectations so you're not disappointed when you visit.
No snarkiness taken. Truly the need for the visit though, even if two weeks never gets us out of the tourist mode. I do appreciate the frank perspective viewpoints like yours. Life is truly what you make of it.

Quote:
PS - I love the reason why you want to move to a new location.....wanting to live in a completely new location for the second half of life sounds as good as a reason as any!
My wife, at the age of 39, packed up her entire life into two suitcases, left Ust-Kamenogorsk, now Oskemen, Kazakhstan, and moved half-way around the world in the hopes of a happy life with a man she had met for two weeks. I will be forever humbled by her sheer courage and determination to have what she wanted.
I want to climb out of the box, sorry for the cliche, that I have built here in Maine so that together we will share in the newness of life.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
One thing to factor in on your ideas about moving to Bend:

If you are financially stable and have good credit, you will find out that Bend and it's surrounding communities (like Prineville for example) will offer you some excellent "bang for your buck" real estate bargains.

That town is hurting right now.

Percentage of Russions in Bends Zip Code:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

A possible source of information:
Russian Oregon Social Services
Thank you so much, some very helpful information for my wife, and myself.
I have been looking at housing prices and there is a significant drop in home values. This is a buyers market for now.

Last edited by Yac; 12-14-2012 at 07:04 AM..

Old 10-13-2011, 09:08 AM

40 posts, read 60,549 times
Quote:
Thank you so much, some very helpful information for my wife, and myself.
I have been looking at housing prices and there is a significant drop in home values. This is a buyers market for now.
Additionally, the rents are increasing significantly in Bend as people are losing their homes and looking for places to lease (myself included). So, financially speaking, unlike 5 years ago, you would do well to attempt to buy rather than rent in Bend. If you have the means.

I've never been to Portland, ME. But my wife and I love the Smithsonian HD channel and their "Aerial America" series. They did one on Maine not too long ago, and we were stunned by the beauty of Portland. I would love to visit that town. And Kapetrich is right, Portland, ME and Bend aren't very comparable in terms of size. We are working on our downtown however, and you may find it quaint. That said, it more resembles a downtown you'd expect from a city of 20,000, not 80,000.

Whereas Portland is probably over 300 years old, Bend is barely 100 years old. It will be quite a change, and will definitely take you out of your box. Still, history abounds here: there are active volcanoes all up and down the cascade range, and natural history in this area is fascinating. If you're a dork like me, you may enjoy the High Desert Museum, the Newberry Crater, and other natural markers in the area. And obviously have a look-see at Crater Lake. It's stunning.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:10 AM

1,337 posts, read 3,277,586 times
Quote:
I agree that Portland is a beautiful city, and being a port city adds that flavor that is absent from 98%, guessing, of the rest of the cities in this country. The Old Port District is a great place to hang out. It is still Maine for me though. Will I miss Maine? Absolutely! We have two beautiful daughters, one lives in Portland, the other in Farmington, so we will always have reason to go visit.
Note: Please do not take this as anything but a corredction, Maine is ME. MA is Massachusetts, ewwww. We're a proud lot here in Maine. I think it is pretty much the same feeling Oregonians have about your neighbor to the south.
Don't get me wrong, there are MANY reasons I choose Bend over Portland. It's a long list.....When do you plan on visiting?

And wow, thanks for correcting me. I'll blame it on a slip of the hand .

Also, everything Hipflask said is spot on! Cept, I'd give Bend's downtown more credit considering how many people live outside/around Bend: practically none. Bend is the epicenter of the Central/Eastern Oregon, for better or worse

Old 10-14-2011, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipFlask View Post
Additionally, the rents are increasing significantly in Bend as people are losing their homes and looking for places to lease (myself included). So, financially speaking, unlike 5 years ago, you would do well to attempt to buy rather than rent in Bend. If you have the means.
I am sorry to hear that your situation is part of the national crisis. The "American Dream" for many has become just that, a dream.

Quote:
I've never been to Portland, ME. But my wife and I love the Smithsonian HD channel and their "Aerial America" series. They did one on Maine not too long ago, and we were stunned by the beauty of Portland. I would love to visit that town. And Kapetrich is right, Portland, ME and Bend aren't very comparable in terms of size. We are working on our downtown however, and you may find it quaint. That said, it more resembles a downtown you'd expect from a city of 20,000, not 80,000.
From Kittery to Eastport the coast of Maine is beautiful. If you do make it to Maine a must see is Acadia National Park. It is about a three hour drive from Portland.

Quote:
Whereas Portland is probably over 300 years old, Bend is barely 100 years old. It will be quite a change, and will definitely take you out of your box. Still, history abounds here: there are active volcanoes all up and down the cascade range, and natural history in this area is fascinating. If you're a dork like me, you may enjoy the High Desert Museum, the Newberry Crater, and other natural markers in the area. And obviously have a look-see at Crater Lake. It's stunning.
Nothing dorky about going to museums, there is always so much to learn, very stimulating. So far only pictures to wet our appetite, your corner of the country has so much natural beauty. We are really looking forward to seeing all of it in person. Well, as much of it as we can when we visit.

Last edited by banyaboy; 10-14-2011 at 04:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend