Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 07:40 PM

758 posts, read 2,365,737 times

Advertisements

No college football. Though the local HS won the state 5A championship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 07:42 PM

758 posts, read 2,365,737 times
Oh -
Buy my friends' house. They want to move to the Southeast. Bend (and Oregon) is too liberal for them, they're in construction, and they don't see a future in Bend. We think they're nuts, but they insist, so we wish them well.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:52 AM

2 posts, read 2,798 times
Default A Beautiful Place To Be Unemployed!

"A Beautiful Place To Be Unemployed!" That's my slogan for Central Oregon! I moved to Bend three years ago from Dallas, Texas. I absolutely LOVE it here, but I have yet to find permanent employment. You are very fortunate to have secured a job interview, especially if the job pays more than $10/hr. (which obviously it does if your considering relocating). I just hope you're planning on surviving on one income!

I used a United Van Lines affiliate for my move, which involved moving two separate households at once. It was a successful move without any notable problems. I did a LOT of research on movers before making my choice. If you have "Angie's List" in your area, that's a good place to start. It's definitely worth the effort to find a "reputable vs. cheap" mover, since they will be handling almost ALL of your possessions. We scheduled our arrival to Bend based on the movers' ETA. We gave ourselves a 5-day cushion for our arrival date, which worked out well because the drive took us longer than we had planned. I don't know what we would have done if the movers had arrived in Bend before we did!

I don't have any children yet, but I have three cousins who were born and raised on the east side of Bend. They are all productive, intelligent adults, so I assume that the east side schools are pretty good. I currently live in a beautiful neighborhood in the "Old Farm District." It is on the edge of where the pine trees turn into sagebrush, so I got a half-acre "pine tree property" for a "sagebrush property" price!

Climate can vary quite a bit within the Bend city limits. The further north you are, the lower the elevation and the warmer the climate. There are plants that do quite well north of Hwy 20 that I cannot grow at my place! And, in general, west Bend is a little wetter/icier than the east side.

Northwest Crossing IS a beautiful neighborhood! I worked in the area for a month and loved it. However, it does seem a little far removed from the conveniences of Bend. I found it a little too time consuming to run errands on my lunch break. Just something to consider...

Avoid properties listed in Deschutes River Woods (DRW)! The crime rate is very high out there.

There are several nice furniture consignment stores here, so don't think you wouldl have to buy all "new" furniture if you decide to lighten your load and sell/donate some of your current stuff.

The city has an incredible "urban trail" system that's great for easy, stroller-pushing walks! My old dog just wasn't up to the more challenging trails in the woods, so the city trails suited her just fine.

There is so much FREE stuff to do around here, especially in the summer! Lots of festivals and concerts in the parks! We even have free outdoor movies at several locations -- no tickets required, just bring a blanket!

Most of the people here are super friendly! I even encountered friendly people at the DMV and Social Security office! And the drivers... I am still amazed at how considerate Bend drivers can be!

Well, I'm running out of steam. Better call it a night. I truly hope that ya'll get the job and get to move out here! I know you won't regret it! I don't!

Old 01-06-2012, 09:26 AM

1 posts, read 1,753 times
I live in southern california and recently took a winter trip to visit Bend. My impression about Bend is:
*It has 4G connection.
*Really a dog lovers town, unfortunately some of them care less about keeping the park and grass clean. Need improvement there.
*The weather is very dry so it is hard for us to move there since we love to plant our own vegetable and herbs. I hope I am wrong about this.
*We are addicted to camping and hiking. Bend offers tons of trails, it is a heaven there. Everything said to be good about Bend is true.
*One coffee house in Minnesota Ave, is a 5-star rating, the brewery, the weather are fabulous!.
*The pet items are more expensive, anyway.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:14 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,665,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asksocal View Post
I live in southern california and recently took a winter trip to visit Bend. My impression about Bend is:
*It has 4G connection.
*Really a dog lovers town, unfortunately some of them care less about keeping the park and grass clean. Need improvement there.
*The weather is very dry so it is hard for us to move there since we love to plant our own vegetable and herbs. I hope I am wrong about this.
*We are addicted to camping and hiking. Bend offers tons of trails, it is a heaven there. Everything said to be good about Bend is true.
*One coffee house in Minnesota Ave, is a 5-star rating, the brewery, the weather are fabulous!.
*The pet items are more expensive, anyway.
Coming from Colorado, I find the dog parks in Bend to be very nice and clean. Not all have grass, as we are in the desert. However, there are some with nice grassy areas, if that's what you are looking for.

In regards to the climate for growing vegetables, Bend is very difficult. I've posted quite a bit about this. If you do a little search on Bend in the Oregon forum you will come across these. To successfully garden in Bend will require the use of frost protection measures, as well as irrigation, as we don't get rain in the summer very often. Our growing season is especially short, and even short season varieties struggle due to the low overnight temps. I was told by a master gardener that you have to add 14 days off the days to maturation for plants due to this. I've successfully grown plants, but it's quite labor intensive and most people don't have the patience to do this. Bend also has microclimates, which make certain areas more conducive to growing than others. In general, the further east you go, the better for growing.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:14 AM

69 posts, read 186,307 times
Default Bend Oregon

[quote=kapetrich;22142675]

Kapetrich wrote,

-A huge growth area, anyway you look at it. The area is projected to grow at a much slower pace for the next 15 years (which is extremely good in contrast to the unsustainable growth of the last 20years).
-A city that I will grow into, with my ascending age, and with, as the city is such a hot spot. I find it very intriguing to be part of a growth city, very unlike where I am from now (Baltimore, MD)

Response - To the OP ... Hello Zenn Jenn - I HOPE You get the job and this works out. I really worry when I read these posts from folks trying to cross the entire USA for the Coast. I am also considering Bend and have visited during different seasons, with a love / hate relationship about the place. My main issues are JOBS and AFFORDABLE HOUSING, and the City, County, and State's inadequate response to these problems.

The slow, restricted growth that "kapetrich" endorses means high unemployment. State College, Pennsylvania and Burlington, VT have about 6% unemployment. Bend about 13%. Note that Boulder, Ft. Collins, Santa Fe, and Albuquerque have about 6%.

Consider that The City of Bend has decided to defer, once again, its plans to expand until July 2013. So, affordable housing is still very hard to find. I don't know if that would be of concern to you or not. It certainly is to me and to MOST people who are considering moving there. The City even removed info on Affordable Housing on its web site. Indeed, affordable rental housing is very hard to find unless you have a large source of income - up to several thousand per month for a family in order to meet rental requirements.

That said, I believe that Bend would be a nice place to live although it's WAAAAY too conservative for me (and that won't change). Even though its conservative, it's also too fast paced and too hip ... compared to the more laid back places of Corvallis, Eugene, Ashland, and other similar sized towns in oregon. Bend = Boulder and is a mini-Portland or mini-Seattle. Go to any other small town in eastern Oregon, and they'll tell you that Bend is a large, sprawling city just like Portland.

Many folks moving out of Seattle and Portland are seeking peace and solitude, and are simply overwhelmed by the density and large numbers of unemployed. The Bend brewery fad is ridiculous. My goodness - bars don't belong in such a great number in such a small town - that creates drunkeness. There are a lot of unprofessional realtors and con artists in real estate. There are, let's just say, "very controversial" persons employed in City and County Government (not to mention the entire State of Oregon !) who I would try to vote out of office in order to increase JOBS !

OP - I hope you get the job, although in general, for those who put 100% faith in Bend before traveling thousands of numbers, consider other cities in Oregon or perhaps New Mexico -- for a healthier housing and job market, lower cost of living, and a slower pace of life.

That said, I have mixed feelings about Bend, and someone would have to offer me a job before I moved there. But that won't ever happen, because the town retains its status quo and refuses to expand until sometime in 2013. I'd have to move to a much larger town, or, a much smaller town with a sense of community, to truly feel comfortable. Bend is just a really weird place, because its residents, leaders, and the state of Oregon officials don't want it to change, because they're paranoid of 80,000 people (which is nothing, compared to several million in Portland, San Fran, L.A., and Seattle).

Anyway, if it doesn't work, I think you are safe in the northwest since Corvallis, Eugene, and Portland are nearby, with lower unemployment rates !

Last edited by JuniperRidge1; 02-12-2012 at 04:13 AM..

Old 02-12-2012, 02:36 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,268,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
The slow, restricted growth that "kapetrich" endorses means high unemployment. State College, Pennsylvania and Burlington, VT have about 6% unemployment. Bend about 13%. Note that Boulder, Ft. Collins, Santa Fe, and Albuquerque have about 6%.
Consider that The City of Bend has decided to defer, once again, its plans to expand until July 2013. So, affordable housing is still very hard to find. I don't know if that would be of concern to you or not. It certainly is to me and to MOST people who are considering moving there. The City even removed info on Affordable Housing on its web site. Indeed, affordable rental housing is very hard to find unless you have a large source of income - up to several thousand per month for a family in order to meet rental requirements.
This has nothing do do with restricted growth imposed by any agency. This has to do with the economy. The cities Urban Growth Boundary (UGB), as they stand, have PLENTY of un/under developed land (PM me your email address and I can send it to you). The unemployment rate has almost zero to do with 'restrictive growth' (even if the UGB was to be expanded, there isn't enough development money to build on what we already have allocated) and more to do with WHEN/HOW the city grew, i.e. during the lost decade/housing bubble equaling unsustainable growth.

Secondly, the cities you point out with lower unemployment rates has EVERYTHING to do with having major universities in their towns and, somewhat, established economies in comparison. Bend does not. Bend is a NEW city without established schools, universities, companies, etc.

Look, Bend grew a TON and now it's trying to catch up to itself. In my view, this is a good thing as reasonable and stable growth is....well, sustainable....while quick growth is often not.

I am sorry you are having a hard time finding affordable housing and I am sorry the the city removed info on affordable housing on its website. What type of housing are you looking for in particular? Are you looking to rent? Buy? What range are you looking in? Maybe some of us locals can point you in the right direction......

As to the UGB: Bend has submitted a revised UGB for expansion several times and has been denied for not meeting infrastructure criteria, among other things. The people who run this town WANT to expand the UGB, but the State won't allow it till' they get their ducks in a row.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniperRidge1 View Post
That said, I believe that Bend would be a nice place to live although it's WAAAAY too conservative for me (and that won't change). Even though its conservative, it's also too fast paced and too hip ... compared to the more laid back places of Corvallis, Eugene, Ashland, and other similar sized towns in oregon. Bend = Boulder and is a mini-Portland or mini-Seattle. Go to any other small town in eastern Oregon, and they'll tell you that Bend is a large, sprawling city just like Portland.
So Bend is a large sprawling city just like Portland yet is too restrictive with it's growth? Can you clarify your contradictory statements?

People in Oregon tell me Bend is conservative. I don't find this at all. Maybe compared to the valley, but compared to the rest of the country this place is pretty damn middle of the road politically.

I agree, it is hip for sure. It's a 'cool' place to be and is on many top 10 lists. It's the price you pay....

Quote:
Many folks moving out of Seattle and Portland are seeking peace and solitude, and are simply overwhelmed by the density and large numbers of unemployed.
Yes, Bend has a high unemployment rate, but people moving from Seattle and Portland can't find peace and solitude here because of the overwhelming density and large numbers of unemployed? I'm not sure how these things correlate.

Quote:
The Bend brewery fad is ridiculous. My goodness - bars don't belong in such a great number in such a small town - that creates drunkeness.
Really? There's a lot of drunkenness here? Also, that's a pretty conservative position to take on drinking. If you don't like the breweries, don't go to them. If the population supports them, then they will continue to grow......I mean.....wouldn't restricting their growth hurt the economy and thus further the dismal unemployment rate? You said it yourself?

Can't have your cake and eat it too.

Quote:
There are a lot of unprofessional realtors and con artists in real estate. There are, let's just say, "very controversial" persons employed in City and County Government (not to mention the entire State of Oregon !) who I would try to vote out of office in order to increase JOBS !
Yep. This goes for anywhere, but is more potent here given Bends 'cool' factor. Be careful, be smart and do research.

And yes. There are a lot of bad people in government. Where do you live that there aren't some scummy governmental officials?

---

Anyway....I think you had a very glorified view of Bend and it burst your bubble. Expectations are everything. We must learn to manage them.

Bend is FAR from perfect. I don't mean to sit here and defend it so vigorously, but come one....your contradictions just don't pan out and I needed to say something.

Last edited by kapetrich; 02-12-2012 at 03:04 PM..

Old 02-13-2012, 02:35 AM

69 posts, read 186,307 times
Default Suggestion that Bend Landlords rent Month to Month due to Unemployment Issue

Quote:
This has nothing do do with restricted growth imposed by any agency. This has to do with the economy. The cities Urban Growth Boundary (UGB), as they stand, have PLENTY of un/under developed land (PM me your email address and I can send it to you). The unemployment rate has almost zero to do with 'restrictive growth' (even if the UGB was to be expanded, there isn't enough development money to build on what we already have allocated) and more to do with WHEN/HOW the city grew, i.e. during the lost decade/housing bubble equaling unsustainable growth.

Secondly, the cities you point out with lower unemployment rates has EVERYTHING to do with having major universities in their towns and, somewhat, established economies in comparison. Bend does not. Bend is a NEW city without established schools, universities, companies, etc.

Look, Bend grew a TON and now it's trying to catch up to itself. In my view, this is a good thing as reasonable and stable growth is....well, sustainable....while quick growth is often not.
@ Kapetrich - I am not in a position to judge whether or not Bend's growth is sustainable as I don't know what you mean by that. The OP was concerned about the market and I tried to explain that the City's recent decision to delay the UGB expansion until 2013 (along with the State delaying it many times since 2005) will mean more unemployment of construction workers for a longer period of time. There's only enough land in the UGB for about 10 more years of growth.

@ - That said ...... I also felt the obligation to give the OP some Good news that if Bend's 13% unemployment doesn't work, that there are nearby college towns (such as Corvallis, Eugene, Salem, Olympia, WA) along with nearby Seattle, Salem, and Portland, that all have reasonable unemployment rates for the west coast (although much higher than the Rocky Mountain States except the Denver Metro - region under an UGB via DRCOG, by the way).

Quote:
As to the UGB: Bend has submitted a revised UGB for expansion several times and has been denied for not meeting infrastructure criteria, among other things. The people who run this town WANT to expand the UGB, but the State won't allow it till' they get their ducks in a row.
In my opinion, the DLCD commissioners and director are inept in actually following Oregon Law that requires Cities to expand the boundary every 20 years. And, ethically, it is unfortunate that they don't care that Bend continues to experience 13% unemployment due to unemployed construction workers. Nevertheless, the people keep appointing Governors who keep appointing individuals for DLCD who advocate punitive growth management, irregardless of what the unemployment rate is. So, I'll stop there. It is what it is.

For the OP or any other person moving cross country, there are other Oregon and Washington cities with lower unemployment if Bend doesn't work.

SOLUTION - If Bend realtors and the City Council want the place to grow they should rent month to month. Then people can see if they get a job, and if not, leave for West of the Cascades. Otherwise, nobody will sign at 6 month lease. What do you think of this ? This would also fill the foreclosures. The Realtors would become millionaires overnight, and City revenues would Skyrocket !

Last edited by JuniperRidge1; 02-13-2012 at 03:50 AM..

Old 02-13-2012, 09:19 AM

1,337 posts, read 3,268,941 times
Quote:
@ Kapetrich - I am not in a position to judge whether or not Bend's growth is sustainable as I don't know what you mean by that. The OP was concerned about the market and I tried to explain that the City's recent decision to delay the UGB expansion until 2013 (along with the State delaying it many times since 2005) will mean more unemployment of construction workers for a longer period of time. There's only enough land in the UGB for about 10 more years of growth.
I see the point you're trying to make, but it just doesn't make sense. You are putting the current lost constructions jobs in the lap of your projected UGB problems 10 years down the road.

The jobs are gone TODAY. There is plenty of land to be built on TODAY. Therefore, the culprit is not the expansion-less UGB, but rather a bad economy which was too heavily tied to the bubble.

Quote:
In my opinion, the DLCD commissioners and director are inept in actually following Oregon Law that requires Cities to expand the boundary every 20 years. And, ethically, it is unfortunate that they don't care that Bend continues to experience 13% unemployment due to unemployed construction workers. Nevertheless, the people keep appointing Governors who keep appointing individuals for DLCD who advocate punitive growth management, irregardless of what the unemployment rate is. So, I'll stop there. It is what it is.
Check out the history of the UGB's: Urban Growth Boundary | Oregon Encyclopedia - Oregon History and Culture (Check out other sources, too)

Just my personal opinion: Exempting Bend's UGB obligation in hopes it will spur growth (which has no factual basis) is very short sighted economic policy. We need long term thinking that will spur and support sustained, purposeful growth. I believe a reactionary approach to economic woes (a reactionary approach to anything for that matter) are wrong across the board. But who am I?

Quote:
SOLUTION - If Bend realtors and the City Council want the place to grow they should rent month to month. Then people can see if they get a job, and if not, leave for West of the Cascades. Otherwise, nobody will sign at 6 month lease. What do you think of this ? This would also fill the foreclosures. The Realtors would become millionaires overnight, and City revenues would Skyrocket !
Where do you get your economic ideas? This ones fun!

If there was pent up demand for month to month leases, property owners would be forced to rent month to month (horrible for the owner). The market decides this type of thing. The fact that they aren't offering month to month leases is a sign that there isn't a lack of demand for longer term leases.

Last edited by kapetrich; 02-13-2012 at 10:46 AM..

Old 02-13-2012, 11:19 AM

456 posts, read 1,004,472 times
Just search MLS. There is absolutely no shortage of bare land that can be developed inside the existing Bend city limits. Much of it bank owned and recently selling for a small fraction of the past mortgage. The parks department purchased a very prime bank owned tract that has set vacant for years. To suggest the Bend current unemployment is tied to the future UGB expansion makes no sense. FWIW, land included in the UGB expansion (once approved by DLCD) will need to be annexed into city limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend