Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 12:27 AM

6 posts, read 6,176 times

Advertisements

thanks to everyone and their responses!

watching all the snow dumping in your area makes me shiver while i try to bundle during our own 'winter' cold streak which does not compare.

good to hear a few opinions about the round-a-bouts. have read that winter tires are a must but wondering how often chains are used/required.

haven't received any comments on this question: any idea if there are plans to expand the redmond airport?

if it does, it would provide the ability to travel abroad a bit easier than dealing with connections, hopefully bring down the cost of flights, and allow the area the possibility of further growth... altho would be happier if growth doesn't hit the fast-track too quickly.

most importantly though, currently live under the approach path for the local airport and there is definitely noise pollution due to it. prefer to settle in a location away from the current flight paths arriving and departing from redmond especially if it is slotted to expand. been having trouble searching online for info or flight paths...

was also wondering... do houses have gas connections? haven't started seriously looking at homes yet, but it seemed for the examples used on our car tour, they had wood burning stoves instead of brick/mortar fireplaces, and electric stoves instead of gas stoves. would like to install a tankless water heater when the time comes plus totally into cooking so would prefer a gas stove. not to mention, a bit concerned on how to heat the house during the super cold winter months without a gas heater.

how bout the water? is it hard? had to install a water softener due to how hard the water is in our area to keep scale buildup down and will want to do the same up there if needed.

thanks again for your responses!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 08:01 AM

740 posts, read 1,243,111 times
I don't think there are plans to expand Roberts Field here in Redmond, although Delta just added 2 flights daily to Seattle (Alaska already flies there). Pretty much all of Redmond hears the air traffic, but there are no large planes landing here, so not so bad. Everyone in Bend and Redmond can hear trains too and you don't want to buy too near the tracks. Check the satellite view of any home you're interested in.

Can't speak for Bend, but all the homes in town here have natural gas hookups. Most homes seem to have a gas fireplace. Ours didn't, but we had one installed as soon as we moved in. Makes the family room comfortable without cranking up the heat for the whole house. We love not having to deal with firewood and wood pellets as we did for 30 years in Colorado.

Water here in Redmond comes from 7 wells and isn't particularly hard water. We had a $4,000 water softener for our well in Conifer, but haven't felt the need for one here.

I'm sure some Bendites will chime in here with their particulars.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:21 AM

32,511 posts, read 47,530,478 times
The center of Bend, the older section, has natural gas and it has been expanded out into some neighborhoods. If you want natural gas tell your agent to not show you anything that is not on the gas lines.

The roundabouts work fine in areas where there is no traffic. If there is a lot of traffic, they back traffic up and out onto the surface streets.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:57 AM

811 posts, read 1,053,077 times
You don't need chains if you have winter tires. I have seen cars running around with cables in the current conditions. In fact some of those trying to do the 45mph speed limits, and chains/cables should never exceed 30mph. It makes me cringe to see people doing high speed with cables, which is tough on the cars and is likely to result in cables tossed all over the roads.

I am in new construction in NW Bend, right up against the Urban Growth Boundary. I have gas water heater and furnace, but electric stove. I personally don't like a gas stove because of what they introduce to indoor air.

I would be more concerned about train noise than airplane noise. I am guessing the population would not support a significant international airport, at least for a bunch of years to come. I would suggest a minimum of quarter mile from the train tracks, more is better, unless you really love trains. With a bit of distance, the train whistles are a nice bit of atmosphere added to the Bend ambiance. Right on the tracks, especially near a road crossing, you will be woken up 3 or 4 times a night by the train whistles. You can get some good bargains for house prices right on the tracks though.

Water quality is very good, but hardness is a matter of comparison. Coming from the Seattle area, which has the softest water I have ever experienced, the water seems quite hard and does leave mineral deposits on showers and soap foaming is reduced etc. People coming from really hard water places seem to think it is just fine.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:50 AM

2,542 posts, read 3,981,186 times
I have 4wd outfitted with snows and I still carry a set of chains and a shovel. You never know when you might need them to get home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend