Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2014, 10:34 AM

681 posts, read 1,044,904 times

Advertisements

what kind of camera do you have for those amazing night shots? I have a fuji hybrid digital with 24x optical zoom. I have a night time setting but only see darkness, any recommendations for settings for those kind of exposures?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 11:47 AM

2,542 posts, read 4,000,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualErik View Post
what kind of camera do you have for those amazing night shots?
For night shots you need a rig that will allow long exposure times - 30 seconds or greater - using a wide aperture lens and tripod. Lightroom or Photoshop are often used to bring out the detail.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:34 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,685,665 times
Quote:
what kind of camera do you have for those amazing night shots? I have a fuji hybrid digital with 24x optical zoom. I have a night time setting but only see darkness, any recommendations for settings for those kind of exposures?
Just to clarify, BendLocal is not the one taking the night photos that he has been posting. The photographers that are shooting are linked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
For night shots you need a rig that will allow long exposure times - 30 seconds or greater - using a wide aperture lens and tripod. Lightroom or Photoshop are often used to bring out the detail.
Yes, exactly. You need a camera that will allow you more than just auto settings. Full manual control will give you the greatest. And to be fair, it's not the camera that's doing the work, but the photographer that is choosing the correct settings and composition, that makes the most powerful images.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:36 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
Just to clarify, BendLocal is not the one taking the night photos that he has been posting. The photographers that are shooting are linked.
... ...

I was wondering about copyrights. Great picture, but Facebook Photo's are not Public Domain.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:05 PM

722 posts, read 1,352,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
I was wondering about copyrights. Great picture, but Facebook Photo's are not Public Domain.

If you look at Jason Brownlee Photography Facebook page he says in the description. " Feel free to share"

Interpret "share" as you like.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:11 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
Didn't say it wasn't shareable. I said I wondered. I also said Facebook Photo's are not legal to share without explicit permission. Many of the cartoons posted there are copyright violations to start with. In this case it seems permission was given.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:15 PM

Some here don't understand marketing with social media. The small highly compressed web images are used to generate interest in a photographer - specifically their services and the prints they sell - so the extra exposure on forums increases the chance of recognition and sales. That's the reason most photographers create a FB page to begin with! BTW my brother is a professional artist and photographer so I'm all for helping the talented guys make a living - especially in a place like Bend where making it on your own is a serious challenge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
I also said Facebook Photo's are not legal to share without explicit permission.
Where did you get that idea? Perhaps you are confusing hot linking with copying and pasting as people do with email? This article may help you gain a better understanding of hotlinking images.

Inline linking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Copyright law issues that inline linking raises

The most significant legal fact about inline linking, relative to copyright law considerations, is that the inline linker does not place a copy of the image file on its own Internet server. Rather, the inline linker places a pointer on its Internet server that points to the server on which the proprietor of the image has placed the image file. This pointer causes a user's browser to jump to the proprietor's server and fetch the image file to the user's computer. US courts have considered this a decisive fact in copyright analysis. Thus, in Perfect 10, Inc. v. Amazon.com, Inc.,[6] the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit explained why inline linking did not violate US copyright law...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownut View Post
Interpret "share" as you like.
Translation - help me sell as many prints as possible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
Delta is correct - those night images were taken by the photogher stated in each post. But I'll put some of mine up later just for kicks. Night photography is tricky and getting a truly great picture is hit or miss for me.

Last edited by BendLocal; 03-26-2014 at 01:50 PM..

Old 03-26-2014, 02:34 PM

A pic of Pilot Butte I took last year. Exposure 1 sec @ F2.8, ISO 100

Last edited by BendLocal; 03-26-2014 at 02:58 PM..

Old 03-26-2014, 04:45 PM

431 posts, read 599,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
A pic of Pilot Butte I took last year. Exposure 1 sec @ F2.8, ISO 100
Doesn't look like they'd set it on fire yet............

Old 03-26-2014, 04:56 PM

431 posts, read 599,591 times
Quote:
You'd probably need something like this for tracking the sky; iOptron

A lot of the time with these types of photo, the photographer will take the landscape photo on long exposure with a static camera and then the sky with a moving mount, then layer them together in Photoshop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend