Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 11:09 AM

1,822 posts, read 1,999,990 times

Advertisements

While going between the two towns next month, we were wondering if there are any good sights to see. Especially places not too far - say 5 or 10 miles - from the highway (US26 and US97), along the route.

Scenic sights would be the biggest plus. Other good spots might be places with unique souveneirs (carved wood art, maybe cups/mugs, something tasteful but not touristy) to bring back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 03:05 PM

541 posts, read 1,729,558 times
Mt. Hood National Forest, the Cascade Mountains. Just seeing the landscape change is kind of fun.

If instead you took the 22 out of Salem, you could see more in my opinion. See the mountains, yadda yadda, but the impressive Detroit Lake and the various glacier blues it shines. Visiting the remote men town of Detroit is fun to take in the small town life there. Also you would be driving out of the pass, and running by the fun town of Sisters, Ore. Neat place, with a western, frontier vibe going. Some very impressive mountain views on the route on all sides, and might be worth a look if planning an alternative route. Just be sure to check pass conditions.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:07 PM

Thanks NWbyNW. I appreciate pointing out that alternate route.

Do you think that route would be any better as far as snow goes? I.e. less of a chance of snow impacting the travel? I'm starting to wonder if we'll even be able to make the trip to Bend in mid-March. I understand that doing a check first of the conditions is necessary, but mid-March may be too early of a time in the year to be travelling between those two towns, and I'm not familiar with driving in snow either. I also wonder about a situation where driving from Portland to Bend turns out okay, but then within a day's time, the conditions change, and getting stranded in Bend, so to speak.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:04 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,925,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig View Post

Do you think that route would be any better as far as snow goes? I.e. less of a chance of snow impacting the travel? I'm starting to wonder if we'll even be able to make the trip to Bend in mid-March. I understand that doing a check first of the conditions is necessary, but mid-March may be too early of a time in the year to be travelling between those two towns, and I'm not familiar with driving in snow either. I also wonder about a situation where driving from Portland to Bend turns out okay, but then within a day's time, the conditions change, and getting stranded in Bend, so to speak.
Well, we were there last week and it was beautiful and sunny on thursday and Friday. Heading back to Portland on Saturday was an absolute blizzard. If you are not familiar with driving in snow, plan an outlet of time. Another option is to go up to the Dalles, if the weather is bad. That way you have no passes to deal with, about an hour longer.
Personally for sights I like the Sisters/Detroit lakes route. Phenominal forests.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:18 AM

541 posts, read 1,729,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig View Post

I have taken the route once in early spring (don't remember the time) and kept heading into the mountains along 22 from Salem. This was very odd, but there were no signs about pass conditions. I kept going up the pass and saw no traffic, but snow got thicker on the sides of the road. I made it to about Detroit Lake and going around corner all of a sudden the road was blocked by a wall of snow. I was shocked. There was absolutely no signage saying the pass was closed (I didn't look before hand) and I had to turn around and looped all the way around The Dalles to get to Bend. It was a very long day. :P

So I would just really advise looking online. It can be very sudden and change at a moments notice. That's northwest living.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:21 PM

Maybe visiting a different area might be smarter for the March timeframe. The Hood River area perhaps? I still have time to change the intinerary. We just want to get away from Portland part of the time, and not spend the entire trip there.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:37 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,925,093 times
It's a great area, recommend visiting, just have a backup plan.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:04 PM

3,040 posts, read 4,998,180 times
Just make sure you check the conditions on I-84 also, it is not uncommon for I-84 to become icy around the Cascade Locks area, ice is allot more difficult to drive on than snow.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:12 PM

456 posts, read 1,007,122 times
TripCheck - Oregon Department of Transportation

Old 02-29-2012, 08:07 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,669,308 times
The Crooked River Gorge and Smith Rocks State Park are definitely worth a look. While driving over Mt. Hood, if you haven't been to Timberline Lodge, go. The lodge itself is worth looking at, and on a clear day the view is spectacular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend