Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 10:01 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,000,241 times

Advertisements

Will be visiting next month, and would like to get some recommendations for the following types of food. If there are multiple recommendations per category, please list in order of rating. Thanks!

American (steak/chicken) -
Italian -
Seafood -
Oriental/Chinese -
Mexican (if possible) -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 12:11 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,685,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig View Post
Will be visiting next month, and would like to get some recommendations for the following types of food. If there are multiple recommendations per category, please list in order of rating. Thanks!

American (steak/chicken) -
Italian -
Seafood -
Oriental/Chinese -
Mexican (if possible) -
I will be the first to admit that I don't frequent the fine dining restaurants in town, so my recommendations are based on my budget and taste. Bend has quite a turnover of good restaurants as well, so some of these categories are hard to find, IMO.

For American type food I like either Deschutes Brewery or 10 Barrel for an affordable budget. If you want to splurge, 900 Wall has some great NW cuisine. Anthony's also caters to this, with a NW twist. I have heard that the Tumalo Feed Co. (about 6 miles west of Bend on Hwy. 20 towards Sisters) is great for steak, but I don't eat it, so I wouldn't know.

I don't really do Italian food, but I've heard good things about Sbandati Trattoria and Staccato at the Fire Hall.

For seafood, I like Anthony's in the Old Mill.

Bend is seriously lacking good Chinese food. I honestly don't have a suggestion. I liked Typhoon for Thai food, but they closed their doors last week. If you are looking for Asian food, 5 Spice is good from what I hear. I love Kanpai for sushi.

There are several good Mexican/S. American restaurants in Bend. My favorite, Hola's, is actually Peruvian food. Rosa's is also pretty good, although a bit pricy for what it is. Another great place is Amalia's downtown.

Although not on your list, Zydeco's is a great fusion restaurant. It's a cajun/NW cuisine and worth trying if you like spicy.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:33 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,277,249 times
I think Bend has great 8-15 dollar food. Better then great for its size, actually. But the fine dinning options are a little lacking save for a restaurant or two. I never feel like what I'm paying for is all that special. That said, Delta summed up things pretty well so I'll just add on to what she recommended:

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
For American type food I like either Deschutes Brewery or 10 Barrel for an affordable budget. If you want to splurge, 900 Wall has some great NW cuisine. Anthony's also caters to this, with a NW twist. I have heard that the Tumalo Feed Co. (about 6 miles west of Bend on Hwy. 20 towards Sisters) is great for steak, but I don't eat it, so I wouldn't know.
Good suggestions. I haven't tried Deschutes since they expanded 3 fold and expanded their kitchen. Should be interesting. 10 Barrel is the best pub food/brewery food in town, imo.

Tumalo Fee Co. is good, the steak cuts are good and well cooked, but you're also going to be paying a bit more for the setting - old time-y, country, slaughterhouse. I's worth it especially if you're only in town for a few days. I took my Mom there for her visit and she thought it was great. She loved the old time feel and food!

Some additions: Brother Johns (now with two locations), Jacksons Corner near the Old Mill and Brick House for a good steak. Jeeeez, I really hate telling people about Brother Johns and Jackson Corner. They're already too crowded!

Breakfast: Victorian Cafe, Mckay's Cottage, Westside Bakery and Chow.

Quote:
I don't really do Italian food, but I've heard good things about Sbandati Trattoria and Staccato at the Fire Hall.
I'm not a big Italian food eater either and I've been meaning to try out Sbadati Trattoria. It's been getting raving reviews, but it is pricey from what I hear.

Quote:
For seafood, I like Anthony's in the Old Mill.
I don't do seafood much here either. We're pretty far from the sea, imo. I've heard good things about Anthony's and High Tides down town. Apparently High Tides is good for lunch since their dinner menu is similar just pricey-r.

Quote:
Bend is seriously lacking good Chinese food. I honestly don't have a suggestion. I liked Typhoon for Thai food, but they closed their doors last week. If you are looking for Asian food, 5 Spice is good from what I hear. I love Kanpai for sushi.
Couldn't agree more, the Chinese food here isn't what I'm used to at all.

Toomies downtown is pretty good Thai. Also, a new Japanese fusion Tapas restaurant just opened downtown that is EXCELLENT (a little pretentious/foody, though) called Boken (one former chef from Kanpai, which is great, started it).

For Middle Eastern go to Kebaba.

Quote:
There are several good Mexican/S. American restaurants in Bend. My favorite, Hola's, is actually Peruvian food. Rosa's is also pretty good, although a bit pricy for what it is. Another great place is Amalia's downtown.
Good selection. Hola's was surprising to me. It felt like a chain, but I came to learn its a local business and the food was pretty darn good. I also like Long Board Louis breakfast burritos and Parrilla Grill for their fish tacos. (note: I'm an east coaster who doesn't know good Mexican)

Quote:
Although not on your list, Zydeco's is a great fusion restaurant. It's a cajun/NW cuisine and worth trying if you like spicy.
Definitely. I'd also add Ariana's on Galveston for fine dinning, but make sure to make reservations, it's in a small home.

Last edited by kapetrich; 02-14-2012 at 12:48 PM..

Old 02-14-2012, 02:34 PM

Thanks for the recommendations. We'd be on vacation, so these would be one time visits anyway (it would okay to splurge a little bit). Price really isn't an issue... well, within reason. We would just like to try some of the best that's available there.

Thanks again. It's hard to get tangible responses by looking online at Google reviews (the only other approach I can think of).

Old 02-14-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the recommendations. We'd be on vacation, so these would be one time visits anyway (it would okay to splurge a little bit). Price really isn't an issue... well, within reason. We would just like to try some of the best that's available there.

Thanks again. It's hard to get tangible responses by looking online at Google reviews (the only other approach I can think of).
You might try looking at the reviews on yelp. Also, here's a link to The Source Weekly's (independent weekly publication) Best of Edition: Best of Central Oregon 2011 - The Source Weekly

I've found some great recommendations through this.

Also, I might add that Bend has a pretty nice food cart scene going on. Look for Spork tucked in an empty lot on Galveston. Superb quality food and cheap!

Old 02-14-2012, 03:36 PM

456 posts, read 1,007,164 times
My favorite places in town are:

Thai Thai

Pilot Butte Drive-In

La Rosa

Chan's Chinese

Old 02-14-2012, 04:23 PM

351 posts, read 1,283,065 times
All I can say to this is....... I have never had a bad meal "yet" in Downtown (old town) Bend

I have posted my thoughts on restaurants on UrbanSpoon.com
Bend Restaurants | Urbanspoon

Old 02-14-2012, 05:24 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,277,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypros View Post
All I can say to this is....... I have never had a bad meal "yet" in Downtown (old town) Bend
It really is true. It's definitely hard to find bad food in this town and that's pretty awesome.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:30 AM

I've got to ask: what's "NW cuisine"? This will be our first venture into that part of the country. How would you describe it? Also, are there any good sandwich shops? Thanks again for the very helpful information.

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 02-15-2012 at 11:48 AM..

Old 02-15-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypros View Post

I have posted my thoughts on restaurants on UrbanSpoon.com
Bend Restaurants | Urbanspoon
Ah, urbanspoon, that's what I was thinking of! I like that site much better than yelp. I've actually reviewed several places on there as well.

Quote:
I've got to ask: what's "NW cuisine"? This will be our first venture into that part of the country. How would you describe it? Also, are there any good sandwich shops? Thanks again for the very helpful information.
Here's an article that I think does a good job of summing up NW cuisine: Pacific Northwest Cuisine, America Eats, from Life in the USA: The Complete Guide for Immigrants and Americans
You definitely need to experience it at least once if you are going to be visiting the great northwest! You can google the restaurant recommendations we've given and find most places will have their menu's online. That will also give you a sense of what I mean by NW cuisine.

I don't do a lot of sandwiches, but I like the selection at Brother John's as well (can't believe I'm suggesting it as well...that place is way too crowded now that the secret's out). I also really like the sandwiches at The Summit Saloon downtown. The owner, used to also own a sandwich shop called The Downtowner, but combined the two places when the economy tanked. He's originally from Philly and my PA husband says it's pretty authentic. I've heard there are some good sandwich shops downtown. As skypros stated, it's hard to go wrong downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend