Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 11:57 PM

18 posts, read 28,605 times

Advertisements

Hello!!
So i just finished a 3 month internship in Bend and am on my way back home to the east coast. During the whole summer I said I wouldnt say. The last few weeks in Bend, I had more time to explore, met some people and really took in the weather, the views, the hikes and the people. Once I left, I wanted to turn around and stay.

Im 22 and need a job and money! haha. Part of me wants to go home for a few months, and work a few jobs and get some money and move back in the middle of winte. Other part wants to go back sooner and kind of wing it.

Here are some concerns and maybe you can help me!

1) The people i became friendly with were staff, so they were a little older. Now that college is starting back up, do more people around early twenties show up in Bend more?
2) Jobs! Is it really hard to survive in Bend if i had a full-time but nothing special job? Im hoping in the future something will open up where i interned at so I could just get 1-2 jobs at a restaurant and store until then. But then I feel like im not using my degree, which i do want to use.
3) How bad are the winters?! haha

In general, the west coast is incredible, Oregon, Utah, Idaho and Arizona are all incredible and beautiful. I just feel like i left Bend when i wasnt ready. I feel like I owe it to myself to go back for 6 months- 1 year and see how it goes. More time to explore and meet more people..

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 02:38 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Bend is full of youngsters. College kids, ski bums, athletes. Olympic athletes train here for winter events. There are sporting competitions nearly every weekend, and those attract the young and fit.

If you see a trampoline in a yard, it might mean kids, or it might mean that a snow boarder lives there.

There are small inexpensive rentals, so with an ordinary job, you should be able to live, if you are careful about budgeting. Lots of college age people do the roommate thing, so you can end up with a pretty nice house, as long as you can tolerate sharing quarters.

Winters aren't too bad. There is some snow, but not a lot and roads are plowed. There might be 1-2 weeks when it is really cold. (like minus 20 ), but often temperatures are right around freezing and not often below zero. There is lots of sun and it is dry, so we locals wander around in T-shirts when it is 50 degrees outside and don't put on our sweatshirts until it gets below 40.

You'll need some serious warm clothing if you want to do a lot of skiing, though.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:41 AM

1,337 posts, read 3,278,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summermonths12 View Post
1) The people i became friendly with were staff, so they were a little older. Now that college is starting back up, do more people around early twenties show up in Bend more?
Definitely more in town once school starts up. If anything, I'd say it's harder to find people just out of college age than it is college age. Not that either are tough, but many people who move here in the their mid-to-late-20's often times move here married and/or with kids.

Quote:
2) Jobs! Is it really hard to survive in Bend if i had a full-time but nothing special job? Im hoping in the future something will open up where i interned at so I could just get 1-2 jobs at a restaurant and store until then. But then I feel like im not using my degree, which i do want to use.
You can definitely survive in Bend with a full-time, but nothing special job. You can even live in the trendier part of town. Just depends what you want to spend your money on and how much you value the idea of a career. Many who live here don't value traditional careers and choose to sacrifice high paying jobs to live where they want paycheck to paycheck (not all - there are good careers here)

That said, you're 22. You've got PLENTY of time if you decide to live in Bend for 2 years and move out for a 'career.' I'm 27 now and moved here when I was 25 after indulging in city style career mentality. I'm much happier now. To each their own.

Quote:
3) How bad are the winters?! haha
Where are you from on the east coast? I'm from Baltimore. Winters in Baltimore are shorter, but much more harsh both by temperature and snow fall. Bend hardly has a fall or spring compared to what you're most likely used to. They are really just extensions of winter. Seriously, winter like weather is here for 6-8 months of the year. That said, it's hardly ever actually very cold (due to low humidity) and doesn't snow much in town (1-4inch sprinkles are common and no one blinks). Plus, when it does snow (it snows ALL the time in the mountains) there are actually things to DO with the snow, unlike home where everyone hibernates and gets semi depressed (although, I miss 'snow days' back home where everyone stays home from school/work and veggies out)

Quote:
In general, the west coast is incredible, Oregon, Utah, Idaho and Arizona are all incredible and beautiful. I just feel like i left Bend when i wasnt ready. I feel like I owe it to myself to go back for 6 months- 1 year and see how it goes. More time to explore and meet more people..
DO IT! You've got nothing to loose. You don't have a significant other, kids or a 'good' job holding you back. Once you start making compromises like this your opportunity for mobility will go waaaaaaay down. Do it now or you may never do it.

Job Hint: Being an eastcoaster gave me preferential treatment during some interviews here - some told me point blank that 'you'd probably pick up your phone on the weekends or come in early or...imagine this, ON TIME' ....not to generalize, but lets just say there's a bit of a different work ethic/competitiveness around here when compared to back east

Last edited by kapetrich; 09-18-2012 at 11:50 AM..

Old 09-18-2012, 07:52 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,688,776 times
I agree with Kapetrich, do it! Considering you spent 2 months here already, you have a feel for Bend and are missing it. Since you don't have much holding you back or tying you down, make the move and use the connections you made while here to find work, housing, etc. There are many service jobs out here, as well as jobs at Mt. Bachelor and the Sunriver resort area that might fit the bill. Bend is a great place for young people!

Old 09-25-2012, 09:33 AM

Thanks everyone!!! Your responses are great!

Kapetrich- I am in NY! I have been through some bad storms and dont mind the snow, just hate the wind!!! People do get depressed!

I have been looking for jobs and havent found anything yet. I still want to go back to Bend ( badly), but cant move unless I have a job set-up. I've looked in other areas of Oregon, but havent found much but still rather be in Bend. If any of you are hiring, let me know!

Old 09-25-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Thanks everyone!!! Your responses are great!

Kapetrich- I am in NY! I have been through some bad storms and dont mind the snow, just hate the wind!!! People do get depressed!

I have been looking for jobs and havent found anything yet. I still want to go back to Bend ( badly), but cant move unless I have a job set-up. I've looked in other areas of Oregon, but havent found much but still rather be in Bend. If any of you are hiring, let me know!
Not sure where you are in NY, but compared to say, Manhatten, we don't have much wind. In the mountains that's another story.

What type of job are you looking for?

It's a really good idea to have a job waiting for you when you move, but I found it really difficult to get a job till I actually moved here. Maybe it's that so many people apply to jobs in this area from out of state hoping and many employers don't take them seriously? Or maybe I'm just bad over the phone....ha.

Either way, I think it's easier to get a job in person, no matter where you are, especially when people find out you've chosen to uproot and move across the country to be here. Shows commitment to the area as youve jumped in with both feet. Plus, Bends a small town. Just moving here and volunteering around within your interest helps a ton- people here, as opposed to major metros seem to want to 'like' you or 'trust' you before hiring you compared to back east - they wanna meet you. It's not just about credentials around here. Not that networking isn't a big deal back east, but I think there's a bigger emphasis in Bend and smaller towns in general.

Any other questions?

Old 09-25-2012, 06:29 PM

722 posts, read 1,353,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
Not sure where you are in NY, but compared to say, Manhatten, we don't have much wind. In the mountains that's another story.

What type of job are you looking for?

It's a really good idea to have a job waiting for you when you move, but I found it really difficult to get a job till I actually moved here. Maybe it's that so many people apply to jobs in this area from out of state hoping and many employers don't take them seriously? Or maybe I'm just bad over the phone....ha.

Either way, I think it's easier to get a job in person, no matter where you are, especially when people find out you've chosen to uproot and move across the country to be here. Shows commitment to the area as youve jumped in with both feet. Plus, Bends a small town. Just moving here and volunteering around within your interest helps a ton- people here, as opposed to major metros seem to want to 'like' you or 'trust' you before hiring you compared to back east - they wanna meet you. It's not just about credentials around here. Not that networking isn't a big deal back east, but I think there's a bigger emphasis in Bend and smaller towns in general.

Any other questions?
Interesting to read your perspective on finding a job in Bend. I spoke with an old business contact (who landed a great IT job a couple years ago that he did not "have the credentials" but "the connections" and it has been a great job for him) That same issue of "who you know" and "networking" more than credentials.

That has certainly been my experience here in small town Winchester VA region. Maybe it is just a small town thing where skills and talents are quickly known in a small community?

Certainly an exciting challenge if we are able to move to Bend. Best if we can come with a trunk full of money.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownut View Post
Interesting to read your perspective on finding a job in Bend. I spoke with an old business contact (who landed a great IT job a couple years ago that he did not "have the credentials" but "the connections" and it has been a great job for him) That same issue of "who you know" and "networking" more than credentials.

That has certainly been my experience here in small town Winchester VA region. Maybe it is just a small town thing where skills and talents are quickly known in a small community?

Certainly an exciting challenge if we are able to move to Bend. Best if we can come with a trunk full of money.
Interesting you find the same thing in your small town.

It's not always this way, obviously. There are a lot of 'skilled' jobs in Bend that often get many extremely qualified/credentialed applicants from all over the country. But for the type of jobs the OP seems to be ok with, for now, I think connections, networking and boots on the ground is invaluable around here.

It's the curse of living in a desirable area without a very diversified economy. Many families won't make the move unless one of the earners has secured 'good' employment, which is smart, but makes for TONS of outside applications and an, by comparison, overly competitive 'skilled' job market.

I don't know if others living here can attest, but whenever I meet someone who moved here FOR a job, I'm always pretty taken-a-back. Less so when they tried their hardest to move here and finally landed a job to make the move, but even then I'm still pretty damn impressed.

Last edited by kapetrich; 09-25-2012 at 11:25 PM..

Old 09-26-2012, 11:13 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,688,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
Interesting you find the same thing in your small town.

It's not always this way, obviously. There are a lot of 'skilled' jobs in Bend that often get many extremely qualified/credentialed applicants from all over the country. But for the type of jobs the OP seems to be ok with, for now, I think connections, networking and boots on the ground is invaluable around here.

It's the curse of living in a desirable area without a very diversified economy. Many families won't make the move unless one of the earners has secured 'good' employment, which is smart, but makes for TONS of outside applications and an, by comparison, overly competitive 'skilled' job market.

I don't know if others living here can attest, but whenever I meet someone who moved here FOR a job, I'm always pretty taken-a-back. Less so when they tried their hardest to move here and finally landed a job to make the move, but even then I'm still pretty damn impressed.
When my husband and I were considering Bend, we made a trip out here to scout the area and look at the hospital (he's a nurse). We knew we couldn't make the move without one of us securing employment. He spent a few hours meeting with a nurse recruiter, toured the hospital, met with the department heads, and ultimately walked away with a job. So, we actually did move here for the job (although he wasn't applying to jobs all over the country or anything). Of course, with both of us being pretty specialized in our fields, there were limited options for employment. We weren't willing to just take any old job. We did have a substantial savings as well, and probably burned through a good chunk of it between moving and playing the first few months of our relocation.

I do agree with small towns though, in that sometimes it's more about who you know than your skills. Of course, that's not always the case, but connections are important (and more so than big cities, imo).

Old 09-26-2012, 11:44 AM

I have a degree in Therapeutic recreation, but my main thing is to work with people with disabilities. Im the type of guy who wants to help people...

Yeah, I have applied to places in Oregon, Utah, California and nothing yet. I have wondered if its because I live in NY and maybe they dont want to deal with over-the-phone interview.

It probably is easier to get a job in person, but I cant just move and hope to find a job. I dont think that would work out well and I would get stressed way too easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
View detailed profiles of: