Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 04:30 PM

2 posts, read 3,618 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

I am flying out to interview for a job in Bend next week and have a bit of extra time to look around at neighborhoods. My wife and I would be looking for a single family house within ~1 mile of restaurants/shops with good schools and parks nearby (you know, just like everyone else). We would like to stay under $300,000 but could go up to $350,000. Is this possible? Are there neighborhoods you would recommend?

Bonus points if we can ride to some mountain bike trails or walk to fly fishing.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 04:53 PM

456 posts, read 1,007,549 times
For the bonus points you will want to be on the West side of town. Not sure about prices, but look along the South Century drive/South Mt. Washington corridor for best forest and river access and quick access to downtown/Old Mill.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:01 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamerWI View Post
Greetings,

I am flying out to interview for a job in Bend next week and have a bit of extra time to look around at neighborhoods. My wife and I would be looking for a single family house within ~1 mile of restaurants/shops with good schools and parks nearby (you know, just like everyone else). We would like to stay under $300,000 but could go up to $350,000. Is this possible? Are there neighborhoods you would recommend?

Bonus points if we can ride to some mountain bike trails or walk to fly fishing.

Thanks!
For that kind of $$$ you should have no problem finding a GREAT house! We've been searching for about a month now and even at the $225-$250k range there's some fantastic buys.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:08 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
For what you want, I would suggest the west side. Old town is really nice with walking distance to Drake Park and the downtown shops and restaurants. Near the old Mill District is nice, too. Lovely parks, lots of activities and good shopping/ restaurants.

You have to be a bit careful about real estate agents and The Old Mill District. They will try to call anything within 6-7 miles "near the Old Mill District", when it is no such thing.

Old Town is probably the most expensive real estate in Bend, so you won't get as much house there as you might get elsewhere.

In your price range, you should be able to find something nice, and it will be half the price that it was before the crash.

Old 10-30-2012, 04:55 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,689,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamerWI View Post
Greetings,

Thanks!
I think you should be able to find most of what you are wanting in your price range. Definitely look on the west side of town (I have nothing against the east side, I live on it, but not what you are looking for). Northwest Crossing might fit your needs, although I'm not sure about your budget. The neighborhoods around Galveston Avenue would really fit everything you are looking for (unless you also want a large lot/yard). It's a bit of a hodgepodge area, but overall the neighborhood is nice and it's close to everything nearby.

Bend is still pretty small, so take a drive around town and you'll get a real good idea of where you want to narrow your home search just by doing so. Good luck with the interview!

Old 11-03-2012, 04:54 AM

681 posts, read 1,045,680 times
I'm moving to bend on Dec. 4th with no job waiting. May I ask how u obtained an interview? Need advise on better odds of finding work.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:50 PM

24 posts, read 45,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualErik View Post
I'm moving to bend on Dec. 4th with no job waiting. May I ask how u obtained an interview? Need advise on better odds of finding work.
you might want to start with express pros. just google express pros in Bend.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:40 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualErik View Post
I'm moving to Bend on December 4th with no job waiting. May I ask how you obtained an interview? I need advise on better odds of finding work.
Bend is not a place to move to without a job.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:29 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Bend is not a place to move to without a job.
I don't know that anyplace in this economy is a place to move without a job.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:37 AM

1,337 posts, read 3,278,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I don't know that anyplace in this economy is a place to move without a job.
Exactly. Bend ain't really too unique in this way relatively speaking. In fact, there are much worse areas in terms of job opportunity. That said, it is no picnic.

OP- I'd agree with most all the posters here. Go for something West of the river. It gives you closer access to the National Forrest/Wilderness/Mountains. Many homes just on the edge of town on the westside you can literally mountain bike single track out your front door. A regular poster used to have a house just like this, actually.

Your price range seems like it's almost in the sweet spot depending on sq.ft., how new and which part of the westside you're looking. I think you'll have many options.

Note: The westside is much more 'trendy' than the Eastside. Meaning the westside has many if not all, for now, the coffee roasters/breweries/etc. and many of the small restaurants. If you do not like this type of thing I wouldn't choose the westside of town especially because with these types of amenities often comes more foot traffic, more noise, etc. if living between Old Milll and Downtown/near Galveston/near Newport ave.....that said, I'd call more foot traffic, more noise, etc. 'community,' but we all have our own definitions

Last edited by kapetrich; 11-04-2012 at 10:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend