Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2012, 09:39 AM

2 posts, read 5,728 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am moving to Bend and given my budget (at or below $200k) we are seriously looking at the new construction projects in Bend (for example by Old Mill, Aldrich). Anyone have an opinion on new home builders in Bend? Anyone to stay away from or look at? If we should stay away from them as they are too far NE, what other good options are there for below $200k? Any good realtors that know the new construction market?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 11:51 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
I don't know much about the builders, except that in my opinion, Adair builds a sounder structure than Adaptive, but the Adaptive looks better on the surface.

Palische Homes does subdivisions where the homes look quite stylish, even the lower priced ones. I don't have a clue how good the structure is under the frosting, but the outside sure looks good. Palische does subdivisions in just about every price range. That's the only builder's name that i know.

For $200,000 you can get a pretty nice existing home in Bend, and a really fancy one in Redmond.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:52 AM

Oh, and new homes in subdivisions are going to be on really tiny lots. if you want a larger lot, you are pretty much going to have to buy an existing house that is over 10 years old (estimate on the age).

Old 12-22-2012, 12:25 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,278,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
For $200,000 you can get a pretty nice existing home in Bend, and a really fancy one in Redmond.
This. 200k range gives you a whole bunch of options, new construction or otherwise. What are you looking for in a home?

Common wisdom is that new construction is a better bet these days than during the bubble years when they were literally slapping em up...for what that's worth, anyway.

Good luck!

Old 12-22-2012, 04:25 PM

2 posts, read 5,728 times
Well, ideally we would want to be close to the outdoors, and have at least three bedrooms. With the recent run-up in price that has really run us out of the west side, however, and it is still a little unclear to me the best neighborhoods on the east side. So new construction is almost a cop-out - I won't know the neighborhoods but at least I will know I have a house exactly the way I want it.

Old 12-22-2012, 04:38 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,278,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erp3c View Post
Well, ideally we would want to be close to the outdoors, and have at least three bedrooms. With the recent run-up in price that has really run us out of the west side, however, and it is still a little unclear to me the best neighborhoods on the east side. So new construction is almost a cop-out - I won't know the neighborhoods but at least I will know I have a house exactly the way I want it.
What'd you mean the recent run-up in prices?

Old 12-22-2012, 09:33 PM

456 posts, read 1,007,399 times
Quote:
ideally we would want to be close to the outdoors
What does that mean? Aren't you only as far from the outdoors as a home exit point? In general you will find the lowest priced homes on the NE side of town.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:41 AM

24 posts, read 45,871 times
You should find a good Realtor who can help you with all the options that are out there. We had great success with Brandon Fairbanks at Caldwell Bankers... but there are a bunch of other great ones.

A lot depends on where you live, what size of house you want, and what kind of options you want. Palisch makes great homes and they tend to be in nice areas of town... so if you start there you will know where some of the nice areas are. They have 5 developments in Bend and the prices range vary greatly. New Home Communities - Oregon & Washington

I am not sure about the NE side being the lowest priced in Bend... but they do have some of the best schools in Bend. We have loved every teacher our kids have had at Lava Ridge Elementary. Ponderosa also is a very good school on the NE side.

You might want to visit Bend and drive around and check out areas if you are still getting to know the city. We rented for a year before we bought anything and it helped us know exactly where we wanted to live.

Hope you find the right place. Bend is an awesome place to live!

Old 12-24-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erp3c View Post
.at least I will know I have a house exactly the way I want it.

Oops. Custom construction? By the time you buy the lot, pay the systems developement fees and site development, there isn't going to be a lot of $ left from $200,000. Custom construction, just exactly the way you want it, is expensive. If you want custom, that is going to be a very tiny house.

Old 12-25-2012, 03:29 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,333,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Oops. Custom construction? By the time you buy the lot, pay the systems developement fees and site development, there isn't going to be a lot of $ left from $200,000. Custom construction, just exactly the way you want it, is expensive. If you want custom, that is going to be a very tiny house.

City of Bend : System Development Charges

http://www.ci.bend.or.us/modules/sho...ocumentid=4261
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend