Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 11:26 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,659,817 times

Advertisements

Boise to Medford should never involve I-84.

Take the state highways, despite the weather. In fact, chain requirements are much less likely on the state highways than the Interstates. Yes, you may have to slow it down for conditions, but this is still your best route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 10:34 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,685,665 times
As others have suggested, buy the chains. If you happen to be traveling and a chain law is in effect, and you don't have them, you can be fined $150. You don't necessarily have to put them on, especially if you are driving a 4WD or AWD vehicle, or have traction/snow tires. However, you have to carry them, by law.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:39 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Are you sure you don't mean Bend to Eugene?
Salem or Eugene. The 22 route is often in better shape.

Old 11-13-2014, 02:46 PM

722 posts, read 1,352,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
Or stop at a NAPA auto Parts and get a set of Cable Chains. The 29.95 is worth the peace of mind.
Refreshing this older thread. Anyone have experience with tire chains?

Heading over to PDX from Bend next Friday to pick up my daughter and want to have chains with me just in case.

Wanting recommendations for easy on easy off, yet be sure they will stay on securely. I don't want to get caught by surprise crossing over by Mt Hood.. or is there a recommended route to avoid the pass? I have plenty of time.

Old 11-13-2014, 03:15 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,925,232 times
Snownut,
You are going to have to have them. The fact that you don't have any experience with them says you haven't driven in bad conditions that much? When I needed them, I just went to Napa and picked up a $30 set of cable chains. But since you will potentially use them more than once or twice, I would recommend you go to Les Schwab and buy a set and have them show you how to install them. Might be worth while.

The route to PDX is the same amount of time either way, Hood or Santiam. You will probably get out of the snow faster over Santiam if it is snowing in Bend, But I don't find either way prefereble. I have seen them both pretty "exciting"

Old 11-13-2014, 03:24 PM

Thanks whirnot, I did use chains with a 4 wheel drive truck and plow back when I had my WV place, they were old, a pain to install and would sometimes pop off. (it was remote dirt roads so no highway driving)

Perhaps the designs today are easier to use ? I will go by Les Schwab to buy some and get a lesson.

When the sign are: "chains required" does that mean installed or in the vehicle for emergency? I have 4 wheel drive Toyota so just curious? I have noticed there are chain pull off areas on the passes in this state.

Old 11-13-2014, 03:38 PM

351 posts, read 1,283,065 times
Just go to walmart and buy a set chains for your tire size.

I use to have to put on chains allot when I lived in the Big Bear California

The easy way to put on chains is using a small piece of 2x4 or a brick...... lay the chains down, put the 2x4 in between the chain links in the middle of the chains.... Run over chains and stop on the 2x4. Now pull both ends up and around tire. Connect the inside HOOK. Then do the outside latch. Get as much slack out of the chains.... then put the rubber chain tension bands on.
The 2x4 or brick makes it so you can move the chains around freely under the tire..... Do you need them?.... No, But it does make it easier.

There are all kinds of fancy "chains"..... But I would just stay with the basic "cheep" ones.... Tire cables may be easier for some to install but they give less traction and wear very fast.

O is the tire
& is the chain ends
= is the chains
X is the 2x4 or brick

O &=====X=====&

O &=====X=====&

Old 11-13-2014, 03:47 PM

351 posts, read 1,283,065 times
I have a 4x4 Toyota Tundra, and I have NEVER had to put chains on.... But I do have a set that I keep inside of it.
I think that the use of chains is up to the driver judgement (for passenger vehicles)..... But if you get into a problem and do not have chains on then you may be in for a fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownut View Post
I have 4 wheel drive Toyota so just curious? I have noticed there are chain pull off areas on the passes in this state.

Old 11-13-2014, 03:53 PM

Couldn't thumbs up you again but really appreciate the ideas. Good stuff and creative diagrams!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypros View Post
Just go to walmart and buy a set chains for your tire size.

I use to have to put on chains allot when I lived in the Big Bear California

The easy way to put on chains is using a small piece of 2x4 or a brick...... lay the chains down, put the 2x4 in between the chain links in the middle of the chains.... Run over chains and stop on the 2x4. Now pull both ends up and around tire. Connect the inside HOOK. Then do the outside latch. Get as much slack out of the chains.... then put the rubber chain tension bands on.
The 2x4 or brick makes it so you can move the chains around freely under the tire..... Do you need them?.... No, But it does make it easier.

There are all kinds of fancy "chains"..... But I would just stay with the basic "cheep" ones.... Tire cables may be easier for some to install but they give less traction and wear very fast.

O is the tire
& is the chain ends
= is the chains
X is the 2x4 or brick

O &=====X=====&

O &=====X=====&

Old 11-14-2014, 01:46 AM

150 posts, read 215,320 times
Chains will be interesting next winter for us. Living in Seattle, we've never used them, but driving back up here from Bend over future holidays could very easily give me my first opportunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend