Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 07:46 PM

4 posts, read 16,295 times

Advertisements

I know this is an old thread but have a question. We have been considering relocating to Bend but have a concern. I read a headline recently about Suterra and air emissions. the caption said "Suterra''s new Juniper Ridge facility has applied for an air quality permit" and went on to say something like emissions could be foul smelling. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Joy7; 03-20-2010 at 08:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 04:24 AM

857 posts, read 1,732,534 times
Default Suterra Pesticide Manufacturing In Bend Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy7 View Post
I know this is an old thread but have a question. We have been considering relocating to Bend but have a concern. I read a headline recently about Suterra and air emissions. the caption said "Suterra''s new Juniper Ridge facility has applied for an air quality permit" and went on to say something like emissions could be foul smelling. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Doesn't look good. I'd give you 100 rep points for bringing this up if I could. Never heard about it until now. Thanks for the post; you have opened a can of worms on my web browser's search engine (no pun intended). This is very sad news and the Suterra pesticides will be a major controversy that will haunt the City of Bend for years. Suterra LLC, is indeed a Pesticide Manufacturer. Yes, they are "natural" pesticides, however, if they kill bugs, then it's still a pesticide. Reminds me of the toxic herbicide that Sedona used, that was replaced by a "natural" one that still made people very sick.

Suterra has filed an application with the State of Oregon, and the public comment period extends through part of April. Yes, the emissions will be foul smelling because they consist of volatile organic compounds, such as Toulene.

In general, small towns in Oregon do seem to have issues with air pollution due to agriculture and lumber/plywood mills. It would be nice if the Legislature would pass a bill that would require that future companies, in these industries, to be away from major population centers. Air pollution is something that everyone can agree on irregardless of politics, I would hope, but that just doesn't appear to be the case in Oregon, from Roseburg to Eugene to Corvallis to Albany, and now Bend.

As Libertarians like to say, government is the biggest polluter, and here is another example, by way of their probable subsidized state industries! And, by way of the State of California spraying Suterra pesticides over Santa Cruz!

The First One is in colloquial languag, discusses Deaths of Birds in Santa Cruz, CA:

» Suterra Plotting To Buy 1500 Acres In Bend, Oregon Vegan Reader: Thoughtful Reading For A Compassionate Planet

State of Oregon Application and Comment Period (...nah, they won't listen to you. they've probably already waived all the impact fees...)

http://www.deq.state.or.us/news/publ..._SuterraPN.pdf

This link is a slide show:

Suterra facility̢۪s emissions could be foul-smelling | Bend Bulletin

Company Official Web Site w/ fancy photos:

Suterra : Pheromone Traps & Lures

Indymedia if you want the alternative viewpoint:

Suterra Issues Cease and Desist Letter to Indybay regarding "Secret" Ingredient in CheckMate Pesticide : Indybay

Some sort of expanded blog on Bend:

BendBubble: Bend & Suterra: Biggest Fraud in CALIF-OREGON History (http://bendbubble.blogspot.com/2008/10/bend-suterra-biggest-fraud-in-caor.html - broken link)

And search some more, to your hearts' content ...

Last edited by CCCVDUR; 03-21-2010 at 04:33 AM.. Reason: explanation of linx; dead birds;

Old 03-21-2010, 11:34 AM

4 posts, read 16,295 times
CCCVDUR,

Thank you for your response, I will read through the links you have provided. The reason I asked about the article is since we have been considering moving to Bend I check the news online. I saw the article but was only able to see the title and a caption. I wasn't able to read the entire article. Air quality is extremely important to us so when I saw the article I became concerned. Where is Juniper Ridge in relation to the city of Bend?

Old 03-21-2010, 10:57 PM

857 posts, read 1,732,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy7 View Post
CCCVDUR,

Thank you for your response, I will read through the links you have provided. The reason I asked about the article is since we have been considering moving to Bend I check the news online. I saw the article but was only able to see the title and a caption. I wasn't able to read the entire article. Air quality is extremely important to us so when I saw the article I became concerned. Where is Juniper Ridge in relation to the city of Bend?
I don't live there and hopefully someone will respond. Those are only a few of dozens of links; I have no idea if they are the best, the most objective, etc. Apparently they have one or more pesticide factories in the Bend area. Do the wind patterns carry the existing pesticide and chemical odors into Bend or adjacent cities? Are the plant(s) subsidized by the State of Oregon or the USDA? My observation is that the State of Oregon doesn't care about air pollution, to my knowledge they have little or no emissions standards for vehicles, and lumber mills all over the Willamette Valley + Agricultural Spraying and Pesticide manufacturing plants.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:12 PM

1 posts, read 5,633 times
I am interested in retiring somewhere in the west. I know I am vague, but interested in the following: More sun than the Northeast, friendly people, a connected community with a variety of cultural and educational activities. I am single and looking to become part of an active community.
Can u recommend some medium size towns to check out? Thanks. Loretta

Old 03-24-2010, 04:56 PM

15,574 posts, read 40,413,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loretta spencer View Post
I am interested in retiring somewhere in the west. I know I am vague, but interested in the following: More sun than the Northeast, friendly people, a connected community with a variety of cultural and educational activities. I am single and looking to become part of an active community.
Can u recommend some medium size towns to check out? Thanks. Loretta

You might want to start a new thread with your questions.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:24 PM

1 posts, read 5,342 times
I have two sets of friends that relocated to Bend, OR from the Seattle area. Both families love it and say they will never move back! They love the slower pace and all you can do outdoors.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 06-07-2010 at 09:06 PM.. Reason: recomendations not permitted by new members

Old 06-08-2010, 01:58 PM

1 posts, read 5,318 times
I landed my hot air balloon 100 north of their plant on Saturday. I flew 5 feet over the building and didnt smell anything. The place is spotlessley clean and the people are very ncie.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:28 AM

2 posts, read 8,169 times
Any new information on Bend now in 2012? We are thinking of relocating from Phoenix, AZ with two small children... My husband is self employed flooring contractor in Phoenix... Any insight to Bend's current status would be so helpful!

Old 08-21-2012, 09:32 AM

2 posts, read 8,169 times
Default Is this a real concern??

I read this in the thread...is this a real concern in Bend? Could drastically change our plans for considering to relocate to Bend. So important to do research when thinking about moving our babies! Any comments would be so helpful!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCVDUR View Post
I don't live there and hopefully someone will respond. Those are only a few of dozens of links; I have no idea if they are the best, the most objective, etc. Apparently they have one or more pesticide factories in the Bend area. Do the wind patterns carry the existing pesticide and chemical odors into Bend or adjacent cities? Are the plant(s) subsidized by the State of Oregon or the USDA? My observation is that the State of Oregon doesn't care about air pollution, to my knowledge they have little or no emissions standards for vehicles, and lumber mills all over the Willamette Valley + Agricultural Spraying and Pesticide manufacturing plants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend