Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 08:35 AM

722 posts, read 1,352,771 times

Advertisements

Spring weather in Bend sure looks nice and even better forecast the next several days with lots of 70's.

Cold at night which is exactly as I expected.

Bend continues the first 4 months of the year to have far more sunshine or partial sunshine than here in VA.

My location in VA has had 15 more cloudy or mostly cloudy days than Bend so far this year.

I already know which place will have more sunshine in the summer.

Certainly have not observed the long cold grey I was expecting (as many described) when I began closely following Bend weather last June.

Maybe it isn't a "normal" spring in Bend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 11:44 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,685,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownut View Post
Spring weather in Bend sure looks nice and even better forecast the next several days with lots of 70's.

Cold at night which is exactly as I expected.

Bend continues the first 4 months of the year to have far more sunshine or partial sunshine than here in VA.

My location in VA has had 15 more cloudy or mostly cloudy days than Bend so far this year.

I already know which place will have more sunshine in the summer.

Certainly have not observed the long cold grey I was expecting (as many described) when I began closely following Bend weather last June.

Maybe it isn't a "normal" spring in Bend?
I was in Portland this weekend, so not sure what it was doing in Bend but it was beautiful in PDX. Yesterday was sunny, but windy and very chilly! It probably looked like a warm, gorgeous day on the "Eye on Bend" cam though. I had to start a fire in the house this morning to take the chill off. It was 58° in my house this morning!

As I've said numerous times, it's all relative. This year has certainly been the nicest winter and spring we've had in Bend in the almost 5 years I've lived here. But, you have to remember, I'm comparing Bend's weather to the western slope of Colorado, which is on the northeastern edge of the Colorado Plateau. I'm used to very sunny winters and springs. Compared with the east, it's probably very similar, or even better in terms of temperature or sun.

Many people that move to Bend from CA or the SW find the weather, especially the winter/spring to be very long, cloudy and chilly. People that move to Bend from the mid-west, east, and northeast, find Bend's weather to generally be nicer than where they came from. Relativity is important.

I will say, I think it's great that you are doing such extensive research before you commit to moving. I really wish I would have researched the weather more. Not that I ever regret my move here. I do love Bend and have made some great friends here. I was just fooled by the weather and I didn't research it enough.

Last edited by delta07; 04-30-2013 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: added something

Old 04-30-2013, 06:13 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,925,093 times
We thought spring was here for sure but supposed to get 3 to 5 inches of snow tonight. I too have been watching the weather daily and it is pretty much the same as here, except warmer as a rule. But we had a long colllllld snowy april.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:45 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,537,062 times
The one consistent thing I have noticed about central Oregon's weather is that anything can happen at any time.

I've been here 9 years and have seen short dry winters and long wet ones. Spring that arrived in April and spring that finally got here in June. I've seen snow from October to July! Autumn is the most perfect time of the year.

I moved here from sunny Phoenix, AZ. Having 4 seasons (even if they don't always last the required 3 months) is the biggest plus for my family.
We love it here.

Feels like winter here right now, but it is supposed to get into the low to mid 70s in the coming days.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:15 PM

60 and sunny in Bend, 30 and snow blowing sideways outside my office. When was it I want to move?

Old 05-01-2013, 04:31 PM

722 posts, read 1,352,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
60 and sunny in Bend, 30 and snow blowing sideways outside my office. When was it I want to move?
Spectacular weather here in VA today too. Perfect sun light breeze, low humidity, high's low 70's tonight temps in the low 40's.. I tell my wife we are having a Bend day.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:37 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,946,283 times
I think, way up here, that we may have our spring weather before you all this year.
We've had wildflowers and trees budding for a week or two already in our valley (we are in a warm pocket) and some of the apple trees are full of flowers.

I took this photo on 4-22-2013 in northwest Montana. ~♥~

Old 05-01-2013, 05:50 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,685,125 times
Quote:
Haha, this is the one time I get to joke with my family in Colorado about a better spring here!

Old 05-02-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
Haha, this is the one time I get to joke with my family in Colorado about a better spring here!
18 degrees and 6 inches of snow this morning. Estes Park got 18 inches!

Old 05-03-2013, 03:42 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,816,376 times
Quote:
18 degrees and 6 inches of snow this morning. Estes Park got 18 inches!
Headed to Ft Collins next week and would definitely rather stay home in our weather..... the pears are just finishing blooms and the apples and cherries are in full flower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend