Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2013, 09:17 AM

740 posts, read 1,250,540 times

Advertisements

After over 30 years of living in the foothills west of Denver, we're tired of the snow and are considering Bend as a new home. Our current house sits on over an acre of heavily forested mountainside. We like the land and the trees, but no longer want to deal with snow removal on our steep driveway. In 2003 we had over 7 feet of snow in three days. 10 to 12 inches of snow a week is not unusual. The last snow melts at the end of May. We're at 8,200' and need to get to a lower elevation for the wife's asthma too.

I've read a lot of the threads in this forum and it looks like Bend doesn't get as much sunshine as we do however. I ride a motorcycle (1976 Goldwing) a lot and would like to extend my riding season beyond the 3 months I get here. I don't mind cool weather but are your springs that wet? Precip figures say not, and I know Bend is considered high desert. My wife likes gardening but I don't think we could handle the rain west of the Cascades. We've been considering Sedona, but they get 2 - 4 million tourists a year.

We're retired so employment and schools are not factors. We're planning a road trip in June to visit the area - any hidden alligators in the real estate market we should be aware of, like a superfund cleanup site?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 12:35 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
If you are retired, want decent weather, and a large lot, take a look at Crooked River Ranch while you are in the area. Lots are much larger (acre minimum, many are 2-5 acres). lower elevation so even less rain and more sunshine, low real estate prices, and good neighbors.

Also close enough to bend to run into Costco and shop.

Hidden alligators? Can't think of any, except there is a small area south of Terrebonne and close to the western edge of Prineville that has a problem with low water flow in the wells. It's located between two water tables and not tapping into either one.

Also, La Pine is gorgeous but the roads in winter are quite dangerous. That might not matter of you are retired and can just wait it out until the roads have thawed out.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:06 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,334,839 times
I think you will like it. Area, weather, overall climate and view is very much like Denver’s West Foothills. The difference will be a little less snow, a thousand feet lower, and you will be on the East side of the cascades to the west of Bend in the Foothills instead of west of Denver in the foothills of the Rockies. You should feel like you never left home except for the isolation in Bend.

Old 03-31-2013, 03:20 PM

The Conifer area is pretty small, although we are right next to a large city. It looks like Bend has all the amenities we have and more. Elevation would be around 4,500' lower for us, so better than say Flagstaff. We've dodged several forest fires so far (we had to evacuate this time last year) and want to sell while we've got something to sell. We have two old SUVs and are used to winter driving after over 40 years in Colorado. We'll check out the areas you mentioned. Thanks for the info, folks.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:07 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,688,776 times
I moved to Bend from Colorado almost 5 years ago. I grew up in the Denver area and have lived in Fort Collins, Fairplay and most recently Grand Junction. Bend doesn't get much snow in town, but the Cascades get a lot more snow that Colorado overall. This winter has been extremely mild overall. In general, the further east and north you go, the less snow and more desert type environment you will have. Homes on the west side of Bend, and further south are heavily treed and will have more issues with snow removal.

In regards to weather, Bend doesn't get much rain, but it definitely does not have as much sunshine as Colorado. In my opinion, spring is absolutely the hardest season. For those posters who have never lived in Colorado, or who are from the "rainy" side of the Cascades, Bend seems really sunny. The truth is, we do not get 300 days of sunshine like the chamber boasts. Summer is very sunny. Unlike Colorado, there aren't many afternoon thundershowers you have to worry about. But, in terms of wanting a longer season for motorcycle riding, I'm not sure Bend would offer that. Some years it may, but on average, I don't think it will.

Bend also has a pretty good number of tourists that frequent here. Everything from your weekend warriors coming over from the valley to get a little more sun, to many WA and CA tourists, vacationing here. I don't know what it compares to with Sedona, but it might be worth looking into as well.

While Bend does remind me of Colorado in some ways, it's still very much the PNW. The high desert here is also very different from the high desert of SW Colorado, NM, and AZ.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:59 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,926,264 times
We are also from Colorado and bought property to build on last summer. As far as hidden alligators, the only issues we found were be very carefull and research setbacks if the property is near a river, or at the edge of a hillside, there are often Scenic rever setbacks, flood plains, and view setbacks, these restrictions can make a property very difficult to build on.

In some areas, particularly south of Bend you may be requires to put in a ATT septic system. They are more sophisticated and pretty spendy.
If you are going to buy an existing home these won't crop up.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:53 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,334,839 times
Septic may be the biggest issue in Deschutes County with rural properties. My Mom had the same issue at Water Wonderland.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:45 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,278,516 times
We don't get much snow in Bend proper at all when compared to other 'mountain towns' and nothing compared to what you describe. It is one of the biggest draws for the area actually. The fact that you hardly ever have to shovel out of your driveway, but can drive 15mins up the road to a 15 foot snowpack/blizzard.

I don't ride motorcycles, but I'd be willing to bet our riding season is longer than 3 months especially if you avoid the passes and stay on the Bend side of the Cascades - consider today. I rode my bike all day in a t-shirt. That said, I'm sure some of the best 'rides' are over those passes during the clear 3-4 month summers.

Delta's lived in both areas. I'd take her opinions and recommendations most to heart.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:02 PM

It's finally warming up here in Conifer, although there are still snow drifts in the shade. I had to shovel a lot of snow and ice off our deck for a visit by a realtor. We plan to list our house in June and have it shown while we road trip up to Bend to look at houses. The market is pretty good for sellers here and the realtor thinks our place should sell quickly. We're hoping there's enough disparity in the markets to get a comparable house (with less land) in Bend and have enough left over to pay for the move. Potential buyers will see our property at its best time of year and likewise we'll hopefully see Bend in an optimum month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend