Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 02:08 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,265,984 times

Advertisements

What are you trying to say here exactly? That most dog owners in Bend are the inconsiderate type?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 06:34 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,658,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypros View Post
Is it true dogs are NOT allowed in Drake Park???
Only during festivals or other events. It's the same with all other city sponsored events. It is annoying, as a dog owner, but I also think it can be easier. I've taken my dogs to the free concerts at Les Shwab a few times and it was overwhelming. Too many dogs trying to fight others. Unfortunately, not everyone who is a dog owner is a responsible one. My impression is that most are in Bend, and elsewhere, but it only takes a few to ruin the experience for everyone involved.

Bend really is very dog friendly regardless. When my husband was a traveling nurse, he did an assignment in Southern California. We had 1 dog at the time and I remember taking her on a walk once and getting chewed out by an old lady because my dog wasn't in control. She was on her leash and as we walked past this woman, she stopped and sniffed her leg. No jumping, no barking, nothing, just a sniff. I do think some people have a skewed idea of what a dog under control is supposed to be like!

Old 04-08-2013, 08:33 PM

5,406 posts, read 8,092,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
....We had 1 dog at the time and I remember taking her on a walk once and getting chewed out by an old lady because my dog wasn't in control. She was on her leash and as we walked past this woman, she stopped and sniffed her leg. No jumping, no barking, nothing, just a sniff. I do think some people have a skewed idea of what a dog under control is supposed to be like!
I agree that somebody involved in this incident has “a skewed idea of what a dog under control is supposed to be like!"........but I don't think it is the old lady who suffered the indignity of having her leg sniffed by a strange dog.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:45 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,143,957 times
How about we get this thread back on topic of best dog-friendly places and leave the dog-bashing and dog-defending out of it? That's an argument that will never end.

Last edited by ukiyo-e; 04-08-2013 at 09:02 PM..

Old 04-08-2013, 08:57 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,658,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
I agree that somebody involved in this incident has “a skewed idea of what a dog under control is supposed to be like!"........but I don't think it is the old lady who suffered the indignity of having her leg sniffed by a strange dog.
I guess I should have crossed the 4 lane road with a 55 mph posted speed limit in order to avoid walking past anyone that might be offended if my dog happens to stop and sniff them. Right...... If you are bothered so much by dogs then don't go out where you'll encounter one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
Hoe about we get this thread back on topic of best dog-friendly places and leave the dog-bashing and dog-defending out of it? That's an argument that will never end.
My point wasn't to steer this conversation off topic. Mearly to point out how dog friendly Bend is compared to many other places. I was actually quite surprised to find anywhere in CA on this list, as my experience with that state overall hasn't been friendly towards canines (or humans for that matter). I'm done now!

Last edited by delta07; 04-08-2013 at 08:59 PM.. Reason: added something.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:01 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
I guess I should have crossed the 4 lane road with a 55 mph posted speed limit in order to avoid walking past anyone that might be offended if my dog happens to stop and sniff them. Right...... If you are bothered so much by dogs then don't go out where you'll encounter one!

My point wasn't to steer this conversation off topic. I'm done now!
Oh, I wasn't picking on anyone...I responded, myself! It's just that it became clear pretty quickly that we were gonna go around in circles with this one.

I have to shut up about outdoor cats, myself. I found out you don't ever want to complain to a cat lover about dead birds at your bird feeders or cat poop in your garden.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:02 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,265,984 times
I'm starting to take a new approach to the obviously irrational. Just ask them questions without arguing and allow them to shed light on how ridiculous and unreasonable they are.

I wasn't a dog person before getting my husky 2 years ago. My roommates wanted her, I did not. But even then I wouldn't ever dream of getting upset with an owner and fellow Bendite because their dog happened to sniff me while leashed on a public road, sidewalk, street, park or what have you. Any reasonable person would find this perspective to be a bit over the top, but to each their own.

For people with community perspectives like karlsch, you might want to check out the SW. It's much more individualized culture down there over all.

Looks like Bend is going to loose to Annapolis - ha. Besides Annapolis's record with their lack of pet-friendliness, it's a beautiful town with a lot of amazing history. Truly - it was even our nations capital for a few. Loottaaaaa yuppies there, though (see what I did there ).

Last edited by kapetrich; 04-09-2013 at 12:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
View detailed profiles of: