Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 02:36 PM

722 posts, read 1,353,607 times

Advertisements

Everyone knows Bend is a dog friendly place. Now it is in another competition as a dog friendly city.

Bend has made it to the final 4 of competition but is trailing in this round.

Any one wanting to help Bend catch up follow this link to vote.

Vote Now! The Final Four: Best City for Pet Travelers Tournament | Take Paws
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 04:50 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,278,814 times
I grew up near Annapolis, MD. To be frank, Annapolis isn't even in the same league as Bend when it comes to pet friendliness. It's actually comical Annapolis is considered to be pet friendly in general.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:21 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,689,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
I grew up near Annapolis, MD. To be frank, Annapolis isn't even in the same league as Bend when it comes to pet friendliness. It's actually comical Annapolis is considered to be pet friendly in general.
Just goes to show that these contests/polls and best type places lists are pretty silly.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:44 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
Just goes to show that these contests/polls and best type places lists are pretty silly.
My town was once on a "Best Places to Live on the Water," along with Duluth, MN, which is pretty industrial and has nasty weather. And the retirement lists often choose places that have truly hideous winters or outrageous house prices. I take them all with a small Siberian salt mine.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:31 AM

722 posts, read 1,353,607 times
I completely agree with all three replies. I had a few negative experiences (not dog related) in my visits to Annapolis which really prompted me to start the thread. Honestly don't know if it is dog friendly there?

I do know Bend is the most dog friendly place I have visited.

The huge number of people out with their dogs, all the dog friendly walking areas, the off leash areas, watering stations for dogs in the parks, even the climate is well suited for dogs, there was a 5k race for people and dogs the morning I left last summer, don't recall the name of the race?

Anyway these type contests should be more than "who can get out the vote" They should be based on evidence and voters should have to explain what make their city dog friendly.

It doesn't take a contest to know Bend is an awesome dog friendly city, it take visiting or living there!

Old 04-08-2013, 10:37 AM

351 posts, read 1,283,575 times
Is it true dogs are NOT allowed in Drake Park???

Old 04-08-2013, 11:03 AM

1,337 posts, read 3,278,814 times
Where did you hear that?

Old 04-08-2013, 12:46 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypros View Post
Is it true dogs are NOT allowed in Drake Park???
As far as I know, they are allowed, on leash only. However, I have been to a few festivals and markets there that are posted "no dogs". One can only assume that some inconsiderate dog owner ruined it for everyone else.

More dog walking (on leash) is done at the other excellent river park, at The Old Mill District, along Reed Market Rd. There are wonderful trails there and across the river is an off-leash dog park. Walking distance in Drake Park is a lot more limited and it lacks the number and quality of trails.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:13 PM

5,461 posts, read 8,180,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
......... However, I have been to a few festivals and markets there that are posted "no dogs". One can only assume that some inconsiderate dog owner ruined it for everyone else.
As a person who doesn't own dogs but has to tolerate them anyway, I have found that most dog owners (the everybody else) falsely think that their animals are wonderful and never bother people in any way, and that it is only other dog owners (the inconsiderate) that are causing what they consider to be a dog-unfriendliness problem.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:56 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
As a person who doesn't own dogs but has to tolerate them anyway, I have found that most dog owners (the everybody else) falsely think that their animals are wonderful and never bother people in any way, and that it is only other dog owners (the inconsiderate) that are causing what they consider to be a dog-unfriendliness problem.
I have a 25-pound senior dog who literally never barks or jumps on people, and in general I love dogs...BUT, I have a neighbor with a totally untrained Irish Wolfhound who has sent far too many of my jeans and jackets right into the laundry hamper covered with dirty paw prints, so I sympathize.

That's the beauty of designated off-leash areas. If you don't care for dogs - and a lot of people don't - you can stay away from them while the dogs get to romp. Win-win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
View detailed profiles of: