Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 07:45 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,925,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Snowflake View Post
Hello,
I have United (Golden North is the Anchorage representative) at my home right now packing for our move to Bend. We are moving from Anchorage to Bend and that is a significant move so we decided to hire folks who knew how to pack. So far the movers have been on time and have done a good job packing things. We load tomorrow and then it should be 3-5 weeks before it shows up in Bend. It was not inexpensive but there is no way out of Alaska that is inexpensive.
We looked at all of the horror stories on the internet and in the end I just had to pick one. I ruled out the cheapest and the most expensive and went with a mid level quote with good BBB reviews.
Good luck with your choice.
Bet there are some things that are hard to leave behind. I love Alaska.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 03:07 PM

740 posts, read 1,249,608 times
Some of the horror story reviews on line referred to major damage that the movers would claim was pre-existing, even though the client had pre-move pictures to prove it and had purchased extra insurance. Even when the claim was approved they only got pennies on the dollar for items.

We're leaning towards ABF or similar. I also have a friend that used to be a truck driver, so I could hire him to drive the truck while the wife drives one car and I tow the motorcycles with the other.

We are going to sell or donate a lot of "stuff" and buy new in the Bend area. May UPS lighter boxes, like clothes.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:48 AM

17,633 posts, read 22,624,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
I haven't used a full service Moving company, but an associate did about 10 years ago to move from Dallas to Woodland Park. It included a Corvette, but cost over $24,000! I would be interested in what your costs are.

Based on that we are seriously considering buying a shipping container ($3600), and filling it up, than have a crane set it on a flatbed truck. At the other end, reverse the process. then sell the container.

I do have the advantage of having a place to set the container at both ends, but at this end it will be 8 miles from home so there is some added hassle.
Lisa & Mike bought two shipping containers. They kept them to use for storage on their place.

Going Off Grid in East Tennessee; The Story and Chat Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 07:25 PM

73 posts, read 229,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coniferian View Post
Some of the horror story reviews on line referred to major damage that the movers would claim was pre-existing, even though the client had pre-move pictures to prove it and had purchased extra insurance. Even when the claim was approved they only got pennies on the dollar for items.

We're leaning towards ABF or similar. I also have a friend that used to be a truck driver, so I could hire him to drive the truck while the wife drives one car and I tow the motorcycles with the other.

We are going to sell or donate a lot of "stuff" and buy new in the Bend area. May UPS lighter boxes, like clothes.
We had my husband's morotcycle professionally shipped for two of our moves. It cost us about $600 each time and was well worth it!

Old 06-30-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coniferian View Post

If you want to ship boxes, that aren't easily damaged, truck freight will save you over UPS. Fed Ex freight, or Abf can both handle it.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
[color=blue]Lisa & Mike bought two shipping containers. They kept them to use for storage on their place.
I had originally planned that but decided to build a steel building instead.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:06 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,326,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmo65 View Post
We had my husband's morotcycle professionally shipped for two of our moves. It cost us about $600 each time and was well worth it!
For half that I would have rode it all the way.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
For half that I would have rode it all the way.
Nobody rides his motorcycle but him. Ever.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:39 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,326,876 times
Not me, him. If it were my Bike I would have used it as a good excuse to go for a ride, and spent half as much to move it.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:03 PM

It's hard to simultaneously ride a motorcycle and drive a truck. He's good, but he's not *that* good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend