U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-09-2013, 08:13 PM

317 posts, read 659,333 times

Advertisements

It now looks like Nina Melhoff is now gone.
These news reporters tend to last about 2 years.
With the exception of Bob Shaw nobody ever lasts as an on-air personality.

I can only guess that KTVZ does not pay very much..... But maybe they need to pay more to keep some of their personalities....

Remember when Ben Burkel started in June 2009, He was PAINFUL to watch..... But he finally was able to do the weather without to many tongue twisters.... One thing about Ben, He was a good meteorologist (but not a very good reporter)

Hey, I understand we are in a small viewing market..... But come on, the turn-over at KTVZ is really bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 10:33 PM

247 posts, read 98,355 times
They're pretty much a training station. I remember a few years back they used to take graduates from a TV training school in L.A. Don't remember which one though.
You'd be surprised how much the reporters do. I was interviewed for a news piece a few years back. The reporter (Makayla Zurn who now works in Vegas along with Christian Boris) set up the camera and sound, ran all the equipment and did the interview, then wrote the story, edited the video and then presented the whole lot. I would think it would be a really good grounding for anyone new in the business.
Apparently they're not paid a huge amount either. Bend is a pretty small market, being 192 out of 210 in size according to Nielsen.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:41 AM

3,012 posts, read 4,930,228 times
It's been a few years since I actually had TV, but this doesn't surprise me one bit. As mrwibble stated, it's a lot of work for very little pay. In fact, when I moved to Bend I was talking to a childhood friend who told me she almost took a job here when she started her career in journalism, but was able to find something closer to home with better pay. She said Bend was known in the industry as an entry level location. It's rare for people to stay more than a few years.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:27 PM

337 posts, read 166,063 times
Years ago, while working as a director in the Denver market, I interviewed with the general manager of KRDO-TV in Colorado Springs for a production job. He looked at my resume and asked "Why would you want to work here? You make more money than I do." Small market TV - it's not glamorous and it certainly doesn't pay well.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:07 PM

7,925 posts, read 6,495,985 times
Small market, promotions, wages, etc .........

"Entry Level,? Yep. Coos Bay used to be that way. Now they do it all in Eugene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend