Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 12:50 PM

2,542 posts, read 4,000,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Side View Post
They can't build homes in Northwest Crossing fast enough.
Lots of building in there. What makes it so popular?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 07:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,370 times
Arrow DC area ----to Bend

We moved from the Washington, DC area to Bend. We still own a house in Northwest Crossing. We loved the views, great weather, Cascade moutains, no traffic, etc. WE COULD NOT FIND JOBS.. and had to move back East to the rat race and traffic.
Very disappointing. Our house is worth 300, 000 LESS than what we paid.. .I thought the winters were fine and totally bearable.
(We bith have college degrees and Grad degrees, but it doesn't matter as we couldn't even find hourly jobs.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:35 PM

456 posts, read 1,007,164 times
Yeah I wonder about that, where do all those folks work that are buying those relatively expensive North West Crossing homes? Are they self employed and not dependent on the local economy? Maybe equity refugees coming from higher priced areas?

Old 11-10-2013, 11:54 AM

What are your thoughts on why NWX is so popular? Is it just the location?

Old 11-10-2013, 01:06 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
What are your thoughts on why NWX is so popular? Is it just the location?
You want a guess? It is new, it is relatively well laid out. The neighborhood is full of yuppie cool shops. The city of Bend spends a hugely disproportionate amount of the decorating budget in that area. The city's landscaping there is outstanding. Not at all what you will see in other neighborhoods.

The West side has always been much more desirable and much more expensive. It always has, way back to the year dot.

I suspect that Northwest Crossing is chock full of equity immigrants and the area is "California by the Cascades" built to California tastes. It doesn't really appeal to the area's native residents. There is no feeling of being in Oregon.

However, it is all very attractive, new and shiny, and very well landscaped. Pretty to look at.

Old 11-10-2013, 03:17 PM

What parts of the landscaping belong to the city besides the meridian strip on Mt Washington and the round-a-bouts? And what decorating other than the round-a-about sculptures?

I have to do some research on these yuppie cool shops. Have not heard about those. Maybe they are new.

Old 11-23-2013, 01:02 AM

9 posts, read 16,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
You live on Plum Island?
Yes, 40 minutes north of Boston.

Old 11-23-2013, 01:05 AM

9 posts, read 16,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
Don't feed the troll!
I know I shouldn't but I couldn't resist responding to your totally useless post. Troll my butt.

Old 11-23-2013, 09:43 AM

722 posts, read 1,352,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Side View Post
Yeah I wonder about that, where do all those folks work that are buying those relatively expensive North West Crossing homes? Are they self employed and not dependent on the local economy? Maybe equity refugees coming from higher priced areas?
I read an article about NWX earlier this year that that many of the buyers are older/ retired and looking for small low maintenance homes in a walkable neighborhood. So guess many of them are "cashing out" from somewhere else and no dependent on Bend for employment. I am sure there is data on this somewhere? I

I don't remember the source of the article, though I am sure it was something I read online. I will try to find it and post a link. If you google NWX you can see the website and various other links. NWX has been successful even during the housing crash.

Here is a link to an article about NWX that I found informative: http://www.terrain.org/unsprawl/18/

Last edited by Snownut; 11-23-2013 at 10:06 AM..

Old 11-23-2013, 12:33 PM

NWX is a mixed community. Some retirees but it looks like more families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend