Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 10:56 PM

2,542 posts, read 3,990,527 times

Advertisements

Read the comments in the linked articles for accounts of the benefits UO students bring to Eugene.

Students get out of hand during Friday's snowfall - YouTube

Video of campus snowball incident goes viral | Local News | The Register-Guard | Eugene, Oregon

Quote:
A snowball fight organized by the University of Oregon football team on campus during Friday’s snowstorm took an ugly turn Saturday when the student newspaper, The Daily Emerald, posted a reader video online.

The video shows students and football players pelting a car with snowballs in front of the Erb Memorial Union. The driver of the car, who some on social media said is a UO professor, is then seen getting out of the car as he confronts the students and is nailed with one snowball after another.

The UO released a statement on Twitter Saturday night, written by UO Dean of Students Paul Shang, that said the UO Police Department is investigating the incident and “police hope to determine the identities of those who were throwing snowballs, whether they are UO students and whether their actions constitute a criminal act.

“The University of Oregon takes the conduct of its students seriously. Consequences are clear for those whose actions reflect poorly upon the university or violate its standards for student behavior. However, until the facts of the snowball-*throwing incident are sorted out, it would be premature to speculate about any potential outcomes in this case.”

The video quickly went viral and had more than 51,000 views on YouTube as of late Saturday night. It also generated more than 4,500 comments on the social media sites Redditt and Twitter, many of them critical.

Andre Yruretagoyena, a UO offensive lineman, posted this on Twitter: “Embarrassed by the video I just watched. That’s not all of us, sending the sincerest apologies.”

The Daily Emerald reported on its website Saturday that “Reddit users are accusing what they believe to be the UO football players of ‘committing assault/battery, and vandalism.’ Some have stated that they are sending emails to the UO administration as well as the UO head football coach to ask for disciplinary action for the students involved.”

Connor Willemsen, a UO student in the university’s Robert D. Clark Honors College, sent an email to local media and Shang on Saturday night in which he wrote in part: “I am horrified to think that this could happen to anybody on UO’s campus, a place where I normally feel safe. It is especially disturbing that the older gentleman in the video was assaulted upon getting out of his car to try and simply get the attackers to stop.

“My shock turned to horror as the video progressed. Not only did I recognize where it happened, a place I pass every day, but I imagined such an assault happening to me or worse, one of my friends or loved ones at the University. I’m left with a sickening combination of fear, anger at the perpetrators, and shame to be part of a University community in which such an event can transpire.”
Updated: Video of UO students pelting car with snowballs goes viral on Reddit | Emerald Media

The Daily Dot - This college snowball fight could lead to legal charges

VIDEO: Innocent snowball fight at University of Oregon drifts into ugly pelting of older man* - NY Daily News

Oregon football player apologizes for unidentified teammates harassing driver during snowball fight (updated) | OregonLive.com

University of Oregon: Snowball fight gets nasty as professor and his car get pelted | Metro News

University of Oregon’s football coach Mark Helfrich releases statement on Friday’s snowball fight | Emerald Media
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 12:00 AM

1,337 posts, read 3,271,388 times
Really?

The kids got out of hand with snowballs. They shouldn't have. (College) kids do dumb, stupid things sometimes.

What are you even trying to say here? Bend gets more snow than Eugene so we're in for some harsh college student snowball fights? Or are you purely extrapolating this incident?

The way you frame discussions baffles me. I'm sure many posters, myself included, would be happy to have a discussion on whether or not Bend is 'ready' for a 4 year college, but your jumping off point destroys that potential for many. Might you be a college kid?

Last edited by kapetrich; 12-09-2013 at 12:12 AM..

Old 12-09-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
The kids got out of hand with snowballs.
They aren't kids. They are young adults.

They formed a flashmob with twitter. Shortly after that they forced cars to stop, threw large buckets of snow on and into cars, and then pounded a 60+ year old man with snowballs while cursing at him.

As I say above read the comments for more information on the benefits UO students bring to Eugene. They include fun things like business owners spending each Monday morning cleaning up beer cans and vomit from their property.

Is Bend ready for this type of young adult behavior which many are saying it typical of college students?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
Might you be a college kid?
Long past my college years. In my day that behavior would have resulted in serious consequences.

Last edited by BendLocal; 12-09-2013 at 08:12 AM..

Old 12-09-2013, 09:10 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,920,692 times
So I guess I can't see why OU students are more detrimental to the Area then OSU. I guess 4 years gives them more time to get in trouble than two years? And I guess maybe you are saying than any young adults in that age bracket should be banned from living in Bend because the might misbehave?

Old 12-09-2013, 09:37 AM

UO vs OSU is not the point.

Is Bend ready for the behavior a concentrated mass of 5,000 full time college students will bring to town?

Old 12-09-2013, 09:51 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,671,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
UO vs OSU is not the point.

Is Bend ready for the behavior a concentrated mass of 5,000 full time college students will bring to town?
I think you're jumping the gun here, BendLocal. Yes, universities can bring some unwanted behavior. But I would say they provide far more benefits to the community. The economy of this town alone will benefit from having a stable source, rather than almost solely tourist based. Diversity and intellectualism will also most likely increase.

I just don't see your point. Yes, this can happen, but please.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
I think you're jumping the gun here, BendLocal. Yes, universities can bring some unwanted behavior.
Lets be honest here. Universities do bring unwanted behavior. It is the norm not the exception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
The economy of this town alone will benefit from having a stable source, rather than almost solely tourist based.
What are your talking about above?

Old 12-09-2013, 09:57 AM

150 posts, read 214,616 times
Very interesting way to begin a discussion. Sounds as if you already have your mind made up. I would have to agree with kapetrich that many times these individuals are closer to being kids than young adults, but that's besides the point.

I obviously don't live in Bend (yet), but I would bet that a town of 70,000+ should be able to handle a slow increase of college kids. I grew up in Bellingham, WA where there are way more college kids at WWU, and a similar lifestyle to Bend (to a degree) and it just becomes a part of life. It's not like the town only has 20,000 people and the college is planning on immediately bringing in 10k more, it's a relatively small increase percentage wise.

The bigger thing, is that you (as a city) need to focus and be more aware of all the positive aspects brought on from the college and the individuals involved there instead of focusing on the few negative instances that might occur from kids having a little too much fun. You'll usually have to look a little harder for the positives though because the media - and people in general - are much more interested in the negative news than the positive things happening.

Just my .02 on the topic.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:03 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,479,625 times
Bend is a high-risk area for snowball fights, and bringing a four-year college to the area just puts it over the edge...

Old 12-09-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greener_Pastures View Post
I would have to agree with kapetrich that many times these individuals are closer to being kids than young adults, but that's besides the point.
With an age range of 18 - 21 there is no support for your position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greener_Pastures View Post
The bigger thing, is that you (as a city) need to focus and be more aware of all the positive aspects brought on from the college and the individuals involved there instead of focusing on the few negative instances that might occur from kids having a little too much fun.
Give us 5 positives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend