Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 08:30 PM

150 posts, read 215,320 times

Advertisements

It's been just as abnormally dry (as far as no rain) up here in Seattle too. Definitely nice to be a little drier, but it doesn't even feel like winter here this year except for that one week of really cold temps. The biggest drawback to when we have dry spells in winter in Seattle is that you still don't get any sun. Yesterday was the first day we've even seen the sun in weeks as there's just been days and days of thick fog/low clouds that are extremely persistent - when combined with 40 degree temps, the damp cold air is not too my liking at all, I'd much rather it be 10 degrees colder, but the air be drier.

My wife and I are looking forward to being able to enjoy the sun a little more once we are able to make the move there as well, although, unlike Snownut, we probably have at least one more winter up here in Seattle after this before we can enjoy Bend's weather year-round.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 08:43 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
We are having a mild winter in Bend. That is not unusual, but it also isn't what you are going to get every year. Also, it is unlikely to last until spring, but no guarantees on that, either. The weather here does whatever it pleases.

The complaints that are heard are mostly about the lack of snow. Some people live here for the winter sports and winter sports require snow. The lack of snow is going to cause water issues which is causing a lot of worry.

Yes, there is a water aquifer, but that water doesn't appear there because someone has waved a magic wand. It is water that landed as snow in the Cascades and seeped down into the earth. When it is used, it is gone, unless there is a good snow pack to replace it.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:34 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,616,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post

Compared to Chicago or Buffalo, you may feel isolated. It does take a drive to get to a bigger city and in the winter that can be hard, at times. But honestly, I don't find the roads to be an issue most of the time. In the 5.5 years I've lived here, I had one winter drive back from Portland that was bad. I don't consider that too terrible.
I agree with that - when I suggested the purchase of chains, I didn't meant to imply one would use them often.

More in the 'better to have them and not need them' than to be stuck without the one time you'd really be stuck without them.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:01 PM

2,542 posts, read 4,000,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
I agree with that - when I suggested the purchase of chains, I didn't meant to imply one would use them often.

More in the 'better to have them and not need them' than to be stuck without the one time you'd really be stuck without them.
IMHO they are a good idea when traveling in OR. Otherwise you may find that you can't drive over certain roads during a harsh storm!

TripCheck - Road Cams, Road & Weather Conditions in Oregon - ODOT

Quote:
As applied to snow zones, a Conditional Closure may be used when the defined chain restrictions are insufficient for the current conditions. For example, a typical Conditional Closure on Interstate 5 through Siskiyou Pass south of Ashland is “Chains required on all vehicles excluding four wheel drive vehicles unless towing.” This means that chains are required on all vehicles except four wheel drive unless the four wheel drive vehicle is towing. The use of traction tires is not sufficient. This is one example, the actual Conditional Closure will vary with road and weather conditions.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:06 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,685,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post

Oh, absolutely! I agree with you 100%. I wasn't commenting on the roads based on your post. Sorry if that was confusing. I always carry chains with me when driving here (goes and checks car now since winter seems to have forgotten us this year ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
IMHO they are a good idea when traveling in OR. Otherwise you may find that you can't drive over certain roads during a harsh storm!

TripCheck - Road Cams, Road & Weather Conditions in Oregon - ODOT
And not only that, it's a state law during the winter months (Nov-April, I believe). I can't remember what the fine is, but if your caught driving without them when they are required, it's a pretty steep fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend