U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 08:15 PM

2,358 posts, read 2,831,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
I'll start another thread some time. Or you can PM me.
Oh, definitely start a new thread. I think it is a very interesting point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 07:55 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,345,223 times
[quote=kapetrich;33742647]It's about expectations. Managing them as much as humanly possible.

I'm aware of Bends potential and will be perfectly happy with it changing. Will I be happy with every.single.change? Of corse not, but I don't expect to be. That's extremely unrealistic and naive. I don't plan on getting everything in Bend, or life, exactly how I want it every single time.

Personally, the many changes Bend has gone through even in the 3-ish years I've lived here have been welcomed. I moved to Bend instead of every other 'mountain town' because it had more 'culture'/was more 'urban' than the others not in spite of it. With that 'culture' comes higher prices and more people. It's a give and take. There are positives and negatives to everything.
quote]

I would have to agree. Almost everywhere is changing and always will. Anyone that expects things to stay the same is either unrealistic or needs to move to Nebraska. My home town went through probably the largest change as far as costs in the country, driving most original residents out. I saw that, but don't see it happening in Bend. It just isn't the total tourist destination. Although somewhat limited, I also agree that Bend has a lot more culture than similar size mountain towns, and it is more varied, not just tourist directed like many others.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
My home town went through probably the largest change as far as costs in the country, driving most original residents out. I saw that, but don't see it happening in Bend. It just isn't the total tourist destination. Although somewhat limited, I also agree that Bend has a lot more culture than similar size mountain towns, and it is more varied, not just tourist directed like many others.
I will offer a different viewpoint based on my years here. Costs are increasing and they have driven people out of Bend. I see that continuing due to the constant positive PR. IMO tourism is the most important element of Bend's economy - true that RE also plays a role but a part of that appears to be driven by tourists buying vacation-rental-retirement properties.

from - Bend, Oregon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
In 2005, Bend's economic profile comprised five industry categories: tourism (7,772 jobs); healthcare and social services (6,062 jobs); professional, scientific and technical services (1,893 jobs); wood products manufacturing (1,798 jobs); and recreation and transportation equipment (1,065 jobs).
I look forward to you and kapetrich elaborating on the increased culture aspect of Bend.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:08 AM

649 posts, read 775,067 times
Not that a lot of people watch C-SPAN:
Bend to be featured on C-SPAN; Video crews scoured Central Oregon for good tales

Old 03-08-2014, 12:01 PM

711 posts, read 1,037,827 times
Not technically a "Bend Publicity " story but I found it interesting and decided to share in this thread.

A lost cave in Bend? Anyone else hear about this ?

Bend’s Lost Cave | Central Oregon Subterrain

Old 03-08-2014, 01:40 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,679,395 times
The chef at 5 Fusion Sushi downtown just got nominated for a James Beard Award for 2014:

Central Oregon chef nominated for James Beard Award - YouTube

Old 03-08-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
The chef at 5 Fusion Sushi downtown just got nominated for a James Beard Award for 2014
Wow. The excellent PR just doesn't stop. Congratulations to 5 Fusion!

Old 03-09-2014, 05:34 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,345,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
I will offer a different viewpoint based on my years here. Costs are increasing and they have driven people out of Bend. I see that continuing due to the constant positive PR. IMO tourism is the most important element of Bend's economy - true that RE also plays a role but a part of that appears to be driven by tourists buying vacation-rental-retirement properties.
But if you compare it to total Tourist destinations such as Aspen, the tourist aspect is much less. there are many that move there for retirement etc. and I can guarantee you there are almost none that retire to Aspen.

As far as the culture aspect, I have visited other locations that were on my short list and found more culture in Bend. It is obvious you primed to start another argument about it, so I am not going to give you the pleasure.

Old 03-10-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
Why would anyone compare Bend to Aspen. They aren't even remotely similar.

What is this extra "culture" you are talking about? The mix of people from different areas of the country? The art scene? The pub scene? Just wondering what gives Bend the culture boost.
...because you were saying how heavily tourist oriented Bend was so Whirlnot put how 'touristed' Bend is compared to other more touristed mountain areas?

We went over this in our PM conversation: For many it is the outdoor adventure culture, the local coffee shops, local restaurants, local breweries, local bakeries, local theaters, Bend Film Festival, walkability, festivals, etc. Bend has a very strong monoculture. It's gone over in this thread pretty well already too: How is Bend Unique to You?

To me I describe it to people, half tongue and cheek, as Colorado mountains/weather meets the PNW culture. Obviously our mountains are much smaller and less range like annnd we're not nearly as sunny as Colorado, but we're dry and next to the Cascades all while having some PNW culture mixed in.

Please stop arguing with everyone just for the sake of it.

Last edited by kapetrich; 03-10-2014 at 03:14 PM..

Old 03-10-2014, 02:50 PM

"Best Stand Up Paddle Board Getaway": 2014 Travel Awards: Best SUP Getaway | Travel Awards | OutsideOnline.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend