Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 04:31 PM

1,875 posts, read 1,326,607 times

Advertisements

Been reading different blogs/websites and browsing government data that says the long term water availability outlook for Bend is bleak.

I find this hard to believe being that its so close to mountains, snow, lakes and rivers.

Been also reading that many people are complaining that all the wells are running dry.

Does anyone have any feelings on the long term outlook for water living in/around Bend or CO in general?

Thanks for your time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 05:11 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,278,516 times
Can you link us to what you're reading?

Old 02-22-2014, 09:25 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,334,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
Can you link us to what you're reading?
You may not want to know, but I would be interested in the source also

Old 02-23-2014, 10:26 AM

32,644 posts, read 48,028,221 times
This is desert and the population is growing quickly.

Yes, there is going to be an issue of not enough water for everyone. There is only so much snow that falls and melts in this direction. Water pumped out of the ground has been removed. It is not an infinite resource that magically fills back to the top every night as the people sleep.

Tumalo Irrigation District which has nearly the original old water rights in Central Oregon still gets their water taken by the city of Bend, leaving the farmers short. The Tumalo farmers still pay for 100% oft their water and get delivered 50% of it.

The city of Bend keeps encouraging new breweries and giving enormous tax breaks to existing breweries to expand. The breweries use huge amounts of water, that the area doesn't really have available and the breweries use enormous amounts of the sewage processing system, which is already inadequate for the amount of usage.

Areas near Powell Butte have had their wells dry up. They are out at the edges of the water table and the water level has gotten low enough that they are no longer over water.

The city of Prineville has had an ongoing problem getting enough water because their water table has been inadequate for the population. Although I saw a bit in the news that Prineville has discovered a separate unrelated water table and solved their water issue, at least temporarily.

Central Oregon might have a lot of lakes, but they aren't very big and would be drained to nothing very quickly if the city dropped in a siphon hose and pumped the water out. Inlets to the lakes are small. There isn't an enormous amount of water going into the lakes. With most of those high cascade lakes, you can step over the water inlet to them.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 02-23-2014 at 11:18 AM..

Old 02-23-2014, 11:04 AM

2,542 posts, read 4,002,944 times
Excellent summary of the water situation. This is a well known and often discussed issue in these parts.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:03 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,636,672 times
Perhaps someone should arrange to have a pipeline built from Canada.?

Old 02-23-2014, 07:51 PM

2,136 posts, read 2,312,298 times
It is not the desert population that stresses the water supply, it is the great majority of population which resides west of the Cascades, or Sierra Nevadas in the case of CA. For anyone to think that a desert could support a massive population, is not thinking clearly.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:57 AM

32,644 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Incidentally, there is a lot of worry about the water supply west of the Cascades, too. Even with the amount of rainfall they receive, the population is growing so big that there is the possibility that the population will outgrow the water supply.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:49 AM

1,337 posts, read 3,278,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
You may not want to know, but I would be interested in the source also
Huh? I asked because I am interested.

I agree, water is and will continue to be a great and greater issue worldwide especially in the drier areas, but I don't know if anything said in this thread is very Bend specific.

I'm not saying anyone in here is wrong at all. I agree. Growing populations in historically dry areas lead to stressors on water supplies.

I guess what I'm asking is is the issue more on the side of an insufficient infrastructure or insufficient water supply? Or both?

I'm asking because from my minimal research it seems like the PNW in general is better off than just about everywhere on the West Coast/SW and dry portions of the inner-midwest.

Anyone have any good links? I'd love to learn more!

---

City of Bend's "A History of Surface Water Rights in Bend": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKJV-QPBCmk

Old 02-24-2014, 12:58 PM

2,542 posts, read 4,002,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
I guess what I'm asking is is the issue more on the side of an insufficient infrastructure or insufficient water supply? Or both?
Both. Keep googling and you should find what you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend