Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 05:17 PM

2,542 posts, read 4,000,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownut View Post
I know a fire started on the Butte last year from fireworks. Is that typical?
Yes - Its part of the show. They have the FD there to put it out quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownut View Post
Statistically wondering if personal injury to eyes, hands, burns are the biggest risk?
Motorcycle deaths doubled in the last year. Should they be banned because of the risk of personal injury?

Ore. 2014 motorcycle deaths are double last year's | News - Home

Why is this even a debate? Is there a problem with fires in Bend on July 4th that are being caused by personal fireworks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 05:30 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,277,249 times
There is a middle ground between outright banning motorcycles due to deaths associated and that of attempting to make motorcycle riding more safe in a effort to save lives.

Geez. I swear, every issue we talk about on this Bend forum does not have to devolve into reactionary libertarian style nothingness.

It is really and truly not as black and white as you want to frame it. Nothing is.

But sure...all or nothing. I think we all understand where you stand.

Interesting perspectives Coniferian and Snownut.

Last edited by kapetrich; 06-25-2014 at 05:50 PM..

Old 06-25-2014, 05:43 PM

If there really is a problem it should be easy to identify and then a debate over possible solutions makes sense.

Fireworks that "explode, eject balls of fire, fly into the air, or travel more than
six feet on the ground or 12 inches into the air" are already illegal.

http://www.bendoregon.gov/modules/sh...documentid=243

Do not mistake the question "Why should they be banned?" with the statement "They shouldn't be banned."

Last edited by BendLocal; 06-25-2014 at 05:59 PM..

Old 06-25-2014, 06:00 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,277,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
If there really is a problem it should be easy to identify and then a debate over possible solutions makes sense.
There is a problem. The problem is our dry season and forrest fires. (not all forrest fires are bad, they are natural)

As your link clearly shows, there was already a reasonable debate over this issue.

I am glad it was had and a reasonable conclusion met even if there is no precedent of homes burned due to fireworks in the last 50 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
Fireworks that "explode, eject balls of fire, fly into the air, or travel more than
six feet on the ground or 12 inches into the air" are already illegal.

http://www.bendoregon.gov/modules/sh...documentid=243
Great! Did not at all know that. Like Snownut, since moving to Bend I do not touch them.

Thanks for clearing up some of my ignorance on this issue. I appreciate it.

Last edited by kapetrich; 06-25-2014 at 06:10 PM..

Old 06-25-2014, 06:09 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,229,638 times
When the town burns down, we'll wish we had.

In 2011 in Texas they had the worst wildfires in 100 years so they banned fireworks sales that year in the county I was in. The cities & towns could still have their fireworks shows.

Some stupid kids were shooting off fireworks in my apt complex parking lot at 1:30 am the other night. Yes, I say ban them.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
The problem is our dry season and forrest fires
Then shouldn't the debate be about banning all things that start forest fires rather than focusing on a narrow range of fire producing products that are only used for a few days each year?

Along that line of thinking -

Central Oregon wildfire danger prompts tightened fire restrictions

Quote:
The restrictions:

* Smoking is prohibited while traveling, except in vehicles on improved roads.

* Open fires are prohibited, including campfires, charcoal fires, cooking fires and warming fires, except in designated areas. Portable cooking stoves using liquefied or bottled fuels are allowed. Open fires are allowed if conducted in compliance with a valid Burning Permit issued pursuant to ORS 477.515.

* Chainsaw use is prohibited between the hours of 1 p.m. and 8 p.m. Chainsaw use is permitted at all other hours, if the following firefighting equipment is present with each operating saw: one ax, one shovel, and one 8-ounce or larger fire extinguisher. In addition, a fire watch is required for at least one hour following the use of each saw.

* Cutting, grinding and welding of metal is prohibited between the hours of 1 p.m. and 8 p.m. At all other times the area is to be cleared of flammable vegetation and the following fire equipment is required: one ax, one shovel, and one 2 1/2-pound or larger fire extinguisher in good working order.

* Use of motor vehicles, including motorcycles and all-terrain vehicles, is prohibited, except on improved roads and except for vehicle use by a landowner and employees of the landowner on their own land while conducting activities associated with their livelihood.

* Possession of the following firefighting equipment is required while traveling in a motorized vehicle, except on federal and state highways, county roads and driveways: one shovel and one gallon of water or one 2 1/2-pound or larger fire extinguisher, except all-terrain vehicles and motorcycles, which must be equipped with an approved spark arrestor in good working condition.

* Mowing of dried grass with power-driven equipment is prohibited between the hours of 10 a.m. and 8 p.m., except for the commercial culture and harvest of agricultural crops.

* Use of fireworks is prohibited.

* The release of sky lanterns is prohibited.

* The discharging of exploding targets or tracer ammunition is prohibited.

* Blasting is prohibited.

* Any electric fence controller in use shall be: 1) listed by a nationally recognized testing laboratory or certified by the Oregon Department of Consumer and Business Services; and 2) operated in compliance with manufacturer's instructions.

Last edited by BendLocal; 06-25-2014 at 07:03 PM..

Old 06-25-2014, 07:04 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,685,665 times
Just a friendly reminder directly from the TOS.

Quote:
Our opinions on a location or issue are just that, opinions. Highly subjective. Personal preferences. Quirks, even. Leave wiggle room for dialogue, others may not see things the same as you, or been there as long as you, and any one of us can be wrong. Pouncing on someone you disagree with runs contrary to the spirit of this board and its members. We are here to help each other.
Now, I'm happy to see that this debate is getting back on track. I understand this can be a pretty personal issue for some. I was going to mention that many fireworks have already been banned in Deschutes Co. but BendLocal beat me to it.

I, personally, don't really like fireworks. It's not necessarily because of their ability to cause forest fires, although I don't disagree. However, I don't like them because they send one of my poor old labs into a totally fearful state for weeks. I can hardly get her to go outside to go to the bathroom for the week before and after the 4th and sometimes longer. Of course, I don't necessarily think they should be banned because of this. But I do wish people would get their thrills out the night of the 4th and be done with it.

In terms of starting forest fires, I think there are so many other things that can cause them. We already have in place measures to place bans on fire causing things in the National Forests, such as cigarettes, campfires, chainsaws, etc when fire danger is high. Having a ban within the city for fireworks is not really going to work. We have to enforce that ban. It's just not going to happen.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:36 PM

Unfortunately the article I linked and quoted only applies to non-federal public forestland! I have no idea why that is???

Old 06-26-2014, 12:44 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
My vote is yes. There is an adequate city display.

Old 06-26-2014, 04:40 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,925,232 times
I agree with Steve.
How about we celebrate the Holiday by spending time with family, enjoying ourselves, and celebrating our Independence. Not Burning things down and causing multiple injuries. I am sure someone will want statiistics as to the number of injuries so he can argue, I can't give statistics, just 10 years of treating those injured while working EMS. How many Forest fires have I seen caused by fireworks? 26 to be exact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend