Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 03:58 PM

13 posts, read 29,798 times

Advertisements

Just found out today that the builder raised the list price by $10K on the very home from which the foundation crack photos were taken. Coincidentally, this was supposed to be the day that someone within the company went out to take a look at the cracks (since my agent called it to their attention). So apparently they've decided that the cracks increase the value of the home. This company seems more focused on counting beans than making sure to build a quality product. So much for their reputation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 07:45 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Concrete in Central Oregon is very prone to cracking. My concrete guy says it is because it dries too fast in the dry air. He had me outside spraying water on my new garage floor multiple times a day while it was curing.

I suspect it has a lot to do with the huge difference in temperatures between night and day here. The concrete is vulnerable while it is curing.

Don't buy from that builder, OP, if he makes you uncomfortable. For $400,000 you should be able to buy a very nice existing house, maybe with a larger lot. Try a house in a neighborhood where all the houses are custom and not a tract. The individual custom houses will be located on land where only a small area of dirt was moved (and maybe no dirt was moved) and not an entire area where dozens of acres were all brought to the exact same level. That should result in fewer settling issues.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:36 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,333,043 times
All these comments prove one thing. A house is only as good as it's foundation.

I would agree curing is a major cause of foundation cracking. Done right it should not happen.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:43 AM

2,542 posts, read 4,002,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Done right it should not happen.
Are you saying that foundations "done right" in Central Oregon won't have any cracks?

Old 08-14-2014, 09:52 AM

They shouldn't have structural affecting cracks.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
They shouldn't have structural affecting cracks.
Of course not, but it seemed you were saying that they shouldn't have any cracks when done right.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aahill View Post
Since there is clearly a problem in this case, it will be interesting to see if the City decides to take these additional steps or simply says "we checked the boxes, it meets code", which would be a real shame.
How do you know these cracks are a real problem?

Old 08-14-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
If they are wide enough to let in moisture, they are a real problem. The rebar will corrode and expand and destroy the foundation.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:59 AM

13 posts, read 29,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
I'm not a foundation expert so I can't say, which is one of the reasons I posted the photos and original message. I do not know if they are structural cracks, but it does seem to me - and others that I've consulted with - that they are significant and excessive, in terms of their size (1/8"), number per house, and the fact that they occurred without any external load on them yet. Certainly at this price point the builder should be able to do better.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:08 PM

5 posts, read 9,171 times
Wow, interesting post here. Construction on the house my wife and I are building will begin in a couple of months and although I'm very confident in my builder you can be sure I'll be checking the foundation closely now.

Quote:
Certainly at this price point the builder should be able to do better.
I don't think the price of the overall house and lot is relevant to whether more or larger cracks are acceptable or not. In fact, I don't believe the foundation methods or materials in the house construction specs would vary much or at all based on the final finished house price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
View detailed profiles of: