Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 08:55 PM

2,542 posts, read 3,978,582 times

Advertisements

I think the main difference is that I'm out more often during busy times. No doubt that there will be far fewer people on the lakes and trails if you are lucky enough to go out during the weekdays when most people are working.

Shevlin on Labor Day is a good choice for a hike because its mainly a local's park but you have to get there early if you want to grab a spot for a family picnic. It doesn't ever get anywhere near as crowded as the Cascade lakes I mentioned above. Of course visiting Todd's during a weekday is the better idea and you are fortunate to be able to do that. My options were limited so I had to go on a Sunday (which truly sucked).

Smith Rock can go either direction on a weekend. I've made trips where I couldn't find any parking, yet at other times it was no problem. Seems to be related to temps with hot days being less crowded, and man does it get hot out there! Someone here will probably say they've never had a problem parking at Smith Rock. Wow, how very lucky!

Smith Rock State Park dedicates new trail, visitor center on Oregon State Parks Day (photos, video) | OregonLive.com

Quote:
Still, the parking lot is often full on peak days, and latecomers are pretty much out of luck. Drivers can circle the road, but they can't park.
The nice thing about Smith Rock is that roughly half the visitors are climbers so they aren't on the trails most of the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 12:29 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,264,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I got a parking spot at Devil's Lake parking lot arriving around 7. Also successfully, made the round trip in 9.5 hours, including 1.5 hours at the top. The ascent was probably the hardest thing I'd ever done in my life, but I think most of it was because of the lack of oxygen. I was cracking up the whole time going down because basically you have two options: out-of-control sliding or in-control sliding, haha. I guess I just found that ridiculous. I was basically rock skiing in my hiking boots.

Next time: camp the night before to at least get 1/2 way acclimated.

Also, Bend is absolutely incredible. First time there.
Thanks for the update! That's my favorite part about hiking S. Sister. It's a humbling experience to get to that point where you want to just turn around, but push through. It's a good metaphor

Glad you enjoyed the hike and Bend.

As for parking, each lake parking lot seems to get less and less crowded as you drive especially after Elk lake.

Snownut, I agree. Parking issues up there are the exception rather than the rule. Seems odd to paint the world with exceptions.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:43 PM

2,542 posts, read 3,978,582 times
Parking lots up there are usually packed on the weekends. This is well known and mentioned frequently around town and in articles about the lakes and hikes up there.

Weekdays are better.

Crowds in Three Sisters Wilderness challenges balance between preservation and recreation

Quote:
When asked how one might avoid crowds when climbing South Sister or backpacking the Green Lakes Basin, Jonathan Erickson came straight to the point.

"You don't avoid them, at least not really," the lead wilderness ranger for Deschutes National Forest said. "The crowds taper off once the weather gets worse and you'll find less people out there on a Wednesday. But to be frank, there really isn't a way to avoid a busy setting."
Todd Lake parking on 9-7-14 which is post summer tourist season peak because the kids are back in school.

Last edited by BendLocal; 09-16-2014 at 01:01 PM..

Old 09-16-2014, 01:24 PM

722 posts, read 1,345,819 times
Glad I am a local now with no "official" weekday work requirements.

Still think getting out early is the best option, like Bend Local said not sure why people do the Smith Rock Misery Ridge on hot summer afternoons!

We went on a Saturday morning, no issues with parking, did the loop counter clockwise so hardest hike portion is cool temps first and the rest is gentle. Why people do things during the hottest time of day always puzzles me? Maybe they like crowds and sweat. LOL.

Bend local go out early and post some photos of the empty lots too You enjoy focusing on the negative stuff here It is still an awesome place to be and even with a crowded parking lot at Todd Lake I know if you get out some distance from the easy lake loop the trails are not very crowded.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:39 PM

I can just as easily take a picture this weekend of that parking lot with an all but empty lot. Again, painting the world as the exceptions is just plain odd to me.

I had a group of friends climb South Sister on the same day as VTHokieFan did. None of them mentioned parking issues and they got to the trail head long after VTHokieFan did.

It's a pretty meh discussion at this point. Lets attempt to get back to South Sister.

Has BendLocal or Snownut had the pleasure of climbing her yet?

Old 09-16-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
I can just as easily take a picture this weekend of that parking lot with an all but empty lot. Again, painting the world as the exceptions is just plain odd to me.

I had a group of friends climb South Sister on the same day as VTHokieFan did. None of them mentioned parking issues and they got to the trail head long after VTHokieFan did.

It's a pretty meh discussion at this point. Lets attempt to get back to South Sister.

Has BendLocal or Snownut had the pleasure of climbing her yet?
On my to do list.. my "Honey Do" list at the new house has "fun" stuff on the back burner.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:59 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,654,314 times
We've had the debate over trails, crowds and parking on various other threads, so let's keep this thread specifically about hiking S. Sister. Everyone is going to have a different opinion about crowds.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:26 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,863,119 times
When does the S. Sister become too snowed in/conditions become too hectic for just a basic hike?

Old 09-18-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
When does the S. Sister become too snowed in/conditions become too hectic for just a basic hike?
I don't know what is typical ? there was a decent snow late last September, that melts pretty quick at lower elevations. I took photos at Sparks Lake and hiked in patches of snow around Todd Lake on September 27, 2013.

Looking at the 7 day forecasts for the region there could be some high elevation snows later next week?

Long term locals would know more but I imagine it gets risky getting caught in a storm from mid/late October on through the winter?

Old 09-18-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownut View Post
I don't know what is typical ? there was a decent snow late last September, that melts pretty quick at lower elevations. I took photos at Sparks Lake and hiked in patches of snow around Todd Lake on September 27, 2013.

Looking at the 7 day forecasts for the region there could be some high elevation snows later next week?

Long term locals would know more but I imagine it gets risky getting caught in a storm from mid/late October on through the winter?
In my experience, this is about right. It fluctuates year to year. The biggest issue as the days cool by mid-September into October is the cold temps at that altitude/the potential for storms.

Really just depends on the year. I've heard people climbing South Sister in the winter during a SURE BET break in storm cycles and many people back country skin it in the spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend