Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 02:44 PM

15 posts, read 20,757 times

Advertisements

Hi there, longgg time listener, first time caller . Married couple with 2 small kids. Looking at Bend, Ore for outdoor lifestyle, although I do appreciate some culture. Anyways, when looking at properties in Bend, especially NW/SW areas, it seems many, if not all, are in a subdivision with some sort of HOA or CCR. I do not want to live with any of that, ever. Is it possible to find properties with good lot size, without CC&R's? ex is ALL of Aubry Butte controlled by an HOA? Can someone give me a good idea of areas in Bend without this--I don't want to be out in the sticks, I know living farther out provides more rual living, but that's not what I'm looking for. Top of our price range would be $550K, that's pushing it. Also, realistically, what are the schools like? What would you consider the best schools in the Bend area (public). Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 02:53 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,926,264 times
Not all Hoa's with CC&R's are equal. It sounds like you have had a bad experience. I would not let the CC&r's deter you, just read what they are and see if they fit your lifestyle. Our Subdivision has an HOA and I would say at least 75% of the residents are whole heartedly behind it, and believe they protect the residents. Most of the rest just don't care. Without it, things such as road maintenance would not be performed and soon would be impassable.

Old 03-31-2015, 04:11 PM

Default Thank you

Thanks for your response! I have had a bad experience and want freedom with my property. After living in one for 28 years, I do not wish to be at the behest of a board or rules, but like you said, some CC&R's may be very limited. I have known after 10 years, the rules can change and become a hassle to live in one. I want to be free from restrictions that can result in fines. I take care of my property and would like to find like minded people, but don't want a governing board to have to babysit.

With that said, you are right, I would need to read each community rules because perhaps Bend CC&Rs simply means road care. Do you find that to be the extent of their reign? Because now our current HOA wants us to notify every time we leave our car outside for 3 days, and if it is not moved we are ticketed. It's crazy. This new rule is terrible, opens up liability for theft by the rent a cop who knows when we are out of town, and this new rule comes after 20 years of living in our community. Every couple of years, more and more restrictions are made and our community is not the same as it was a few years ago. But it's just the bad path CC&R's can take.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:06 PM

2,542 posts, read 4,002,944 times
Some of the Bend neighborhood's have CC&R's that go much farther than road care.

One example from the Source Weekly -

Fine Lines: Or how I became a clothesline martyrn

Quote:
While I knew full well it was against the rules on Awbrey Butte, I did not know the ramifications that the simple benign act of hanging a clothesline would create. I naively thought that others would clearly see the sensibility and understand that doing the right thing for all living things took precedence over following 25-year-old rules.
Quote:
I started receiving letters from Aperion, our new property management company for the butte, for hanging out my "unscreened clothes-drying apparatus." I was informed that "continuous acts of non-compliance will result in per-day fines of $20." Due to my passion for conserving energy and the benefits of line-dried clothes, I continued to hang clothes outdoors, occasionally.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:58 PM

Thanks, that is the kind of life I don't want. Someone fining me over something as practical as hanging clothes--completely BANNED where I live now. I can't even park my bike where someone can see it; that's a fine too .

So I'm still wondering....are there homes in family neighborhoods, in Bend proper, that are free from HOA/CC&R life? My hubby lived in Bend several years before we had kids, but he didn't venture out much from his area, and didn't pay attention to "kid friendly" at all during those times . I'm not moving quite yet so I don't want to bother an agent, but any other information locals can provide is much appreciated . You all are very kind with your time, thanks again for the help.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:13 PM

5,460 posts, read 8,180,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
Some of the Bend neighborhood's have CC&R's that go much farther than road care.

One example from the Source Weekly -

Fine Lines: Or how I became a clothesline martyrn
In this article she says: "In the ideal world, if I could have my way, we wouldn't have homeowner associations."

She wants the world to be her way. She doesn't seem to care about her neighbors' wants – what her fellow association members want. Sounds selfish to me.

She knew the rules: “While I knew full well it was against the rules on Awbrey Butte...”

Why did she voluntarily move to a house in a homeowner association? Because the rules made it a nice place to live?

Why doesn't she go to the association meetings where the rules are made by the home owners?

Why doesn't she move away and let the other homeowners live in peace with their electric clothes driers? She can save the world, one clothesline at a time, somewhere else.

Last edited by karlsch; 03-31-2015 at 11:22 PM..

Old 04-01-2015, 02:13 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OreAMomma View Post
....... Is it possible to find properties with good lot size, without CC&R's? .......I don't want to be out in the sticks, ....... price range would be $550K, that's pushing it. .......
Good size lot without being outside the city limits is going to be difficult. Much more difficult if you don't want any CCR's or HOA.

The Homestead area has larger lots (1/4 -1/2 acre) and no HOA. That's not a cheap area, but your $550K will get you something decent, although not fancy, in that neighborhood.

Woodriver Village has larger lots with no CCR's. $550K is probably not enough money. Last time I was in there, I saw a tear down for $265,000. So, it would depend upon how fancy you wanted your house whether or not you could buy that lot and have something built for yourself and still come in under budget.

If you want a newer house, most of those are on tiny lots with very little space between the houses. It's the older subdivisions that have larger lots.

There are several areas just outside the city limits, perhaps within 4-5 miles that meet your requirements.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:51 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,926,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OreAMomma View Post
Thanks for your response! I have had a bad experience and want freedom with my property. After living in one for 28 years, I do not wish to be at the behest of a board or rules, but like you said, some CC&R's may be very limited. I have known after 10 years, the rules can change and become a hassle to live in one. I want to be free from restrictions that can result in fines. I take care of my property and would like to find like minded people, but don't want a governing board to have to babysit.

With that said, you are right, I would need to read each community rules because perhaps Bend CC&Rs simply means road care. Do you find that to be the extent of their reign? Because now our current HOA wants us to notify every time we leave our car outside for 3 days, and if it is not moved we are ticketed. It's crazy. This new rule is terrible, opens up liability for theft by the rent a cop who knows when we are out of town, and this new rule comes after 20 years of living in our community. Every couple of years, more and more restrictions are made and our community is not the same as it was a few years ago. But it's just the bad path CC&R's can take.
New covenants without a majority vote of the ownership, and filing with the Local jurisdiction, are not valid. Tell them to pound sand. I have had a lot of experience in this. Some boards think they can write rules as they desire, but if there is not a specific article in the governing documents allowing them to do that, it is invalid. Good education of the residents, and BOD is Key.

Old 04-01-2015, 10:53 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,689,504 times
I live in midtown, in an area known as the Orchard District, and we do not have any HOA's or CC&R's. Our lot size is just under a 1/4 acre, so not big, but decent for our needs. There are homes in this area of town with larger lots, and within your budget. I would definitely look into midtown.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:37 PM

431 posts, read 599,811 times
I live in a part of town known as Kings Forest. Look on a map of Bend for King Hezekiah Way or King David Avenue and you're in the right place. Nice houses, right in town, all on lots of around 0.75 to 1.2 acres. No HOA or CC&R's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend