Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2015, 01:21 PM

1 posts, read 4,342 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am looking to see if anyone makes the commute from Prineville to Bend for work? Housing is so expensive in Central Oregon. I am not willing to pay nor can I afford to pay 900 on up for a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment, duplex or house for that matter. I start my new job on the 8th of July and I am considering finding something more affordable in the outlining areas.. any suggestions or opinion's would greatly be appreciated. I am single, no kids and have been living in Bend for the last 6 mo in Lapine with family. So ready to set up house, its tough here.

D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 01:24 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
I would suggest you post to one of the Oregon Forums,

http://www.city-data.com/forum/bend/

Old 05-29-2015, 01:57 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Moved thread to Oregon Forum

Old 05-29-2015, 03:06 PM

431 posts, read 599,811 times
Bear in mind it's a 72 mile round trip, so it's going to put some miles on your car and use up some gas. That hill going out of town can be a bit tricky in the winter too. Have you looked at Redmond, rather than Prineville? It's half the distance and a pretty straightforward run up and down the 97.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:47 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,028,221 times
I'm sure someone is doing it.

Prineville is not a bad place to live, but I suspect you will get tired of the drive. Roads are going to be a lot better in winter than they will be if you commute from La Pine, which is also a cheaper place to live. I have spoken to several people who commute from La Pine and they all hate the drive-- that can be a very bad and dangerous drive in the winter.

Rents are lower in Prineville and it is a decent little town. Rents in Redmond aren't as low as Prineville, but Redmond rents are cheaper than rent in Bend, and you'll have a savings on gasoline to help balance out for the slightly higher rent.

There is a small area of cheaper housing in Terrebonne and that is a better commute than from Prineville. Most houses in Terrebonne are expensive, but there is a cheap area west of the highway, right across from the store.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:52 AM

10,065 posts, read 7,237,863 times
People do what they have to do. I've met people who commute 4-5 times weekly from Madras to Bend. I commute from Redmond-Bend 3 times weekly and truthfully the drive is most frustrating inside the city of Bend.

If you're ONLY looking at cheaper housing options, you might consider La Pine if you're commuting to somewhere south of downtown Bend - it's about the same distance as Prineville (a little closer). Prineville would be easiest to somewhere on the east side of Bend.

If you have good winter tires on your car it should be fine in winter. If it's really bad the authorities will recommend that people stay off the roads and your employer will probably understand. For my first year and a half here all I had was my rear wheel drive sports car -- lots of horsepower and torque in the rear - probably the WORST car you can have for winter in Oregon. I put good winter tires on, 3 sandbags in the back and never got stuck although I did pick my battles where to drive when it got real snowy, icy. Just please don't get studs - they don't make much of a difference and we all pay for that through taxes and inconvenience when they have to resurface roads that studded tires have destroyed.

I'm considering moving to Prineville for a few years because it is much cheaper and in Prineville I could live debt-free and save up the egregiously high down payment I would need to live in Bend. I think of the outlying choices Prineville, Madras, La Pine, Prineville is the best.

As others have said Redmond is a much easier commute but it's getting increasingly expensive as it absorbs more and more Bend outflow. Since the OP is looking for <900, Redmond is probably not an option because the duplex next door to me charges something like $925.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend