Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 07:57 AM

10,065 posts, read 7,237,863 times

Advertisements

It boggles my mind that Bend, Redmond, La Pine - places known for winter recreation, are so ill-prepared to handle a moderate snow storm.

The conditions of the roads - not just the side streets which I could understand, but the MAJOR thoroughfares including Hwy 97, Business 97, 3rd St., Greenwood Ave., etc... are completely unacceptable.

All this does is cause wrecks and send people to the hospital.

If it's a funding issue I would GLADLY pay more tax to have more plows working. As it stands, when this particular snow and ice melts, I will be spending a couple hundred fixing the alignments & suspensions on my cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 11:10 AM

740 posts, read 1,250,540 times
Coming from Colorado I too am amazed that so little work is done on the roads, particularly heavily-trafficed ones. I lived in the foothills west of Denver on a dirt road cul de sac, and when we had a heavy overnight snow I would see a road grader clearing our street at 6am and they would come back that afternoons to clean up. My property taxes were almost half of what I pay in Redmond. We expected, and got, far more snow than Central Oregon sees, so the county was better equipped with plows. When the weather is as cold as it's been here, a policy of just wait until it melts seems dangerous and expensive for the taxpayers.

Old 12-02-2015, 04:43 PM

346 posts, read 464,134 times
I just moved to Wisconsin, after living in Bend for over 10 years.

I keep telling people here how lucky we have it when the snow dumps! Sure, a little road salt or cheese brine may cause cancer in older, steel cars. But it's great to know I can drive safely.

Old 12-02-2015, 04:52 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,624,606 times
I hate to say it, but I think the way a lot of local government works in Oregon is based on how loudly people complain about something. If the powers don't hear any complaints, they don't make any changes. And a lot of Oregonians sort of just accept things the way they are and don't want to raise a fuss.

Old 12-02-2015, 06:50 PM

2,542 posts, read 4,002,944 times
Comparing Bend/Redmond to areas of the country that would be snowbound without a massive investment in snow removal doesn't make much sense to me.

97 is cleared by ODOT. Read ODOT's Snow and Ice Program for details.

IMO the main problem is that too many people in these parts don't know how to drive in the snow and/or are attempting to do so without the proper equipment.

Do I really need an AWD vehicle?

Old 12-03-2015, 08:02 AM

740 posts, read 1,250,540 times
I've been driving in winter weather for over 50 years and have a 4 wheel drive vehicle, but these ice ruts tend to throw you from side to side even at prudent speeds. Most of it finally melted here in Redmond, so we're good until the next one.

Old 12-04-2015, 11:45 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,688,776 times
I agree with most of what has been said here. Central Oregon is no stranger to snow. With that said, they've always done a pretty poor job or removing said snow and rely on the sun to melt it (which, as we know, doesn't always happen). I feel like I am well versed at driving in the snow. I grew up in CO and had my learner's permit in the winter! I also worked for the USFS and know when and how to use chains. But, never once in CO did I feel the need to have to chain up outside of blizzard conditions on regular roads and highways. I understand the snow was falling fast and heavy. I think they did a great job removing it during the storm. But then that's where the ball was dropped, IMO. The ice ruts and treacherous conditions for days on end were absolutely terrible. I never had to rely on winter tires in CO, but I'm beginning to think I'm going to have to spend the money here since we don't plow the roads. Makes me sad for the folks who truly cannot afford another set of tires. They are forced to walk, and then deal with sidewalks not being shoveled, or no sidewalks at all, like many of our streets, and then trying to walk in the street. Another dangerous issue.

Old 12-04-2015, 04:24 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,237,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
I agree with most of what has been said here. Central Oregon is no stranger to snow. With that said, they've always done a pretty poor job or removing said snow and rely on the sun to melt it (which, as we know, doesn't always happen). I feel like I am well versed at driving in the snow. I grew up in CO and had my learner's permit in the winter! I also worked for the USFS and know when and how to use chains. But, never once in CO did I feel the need to have to chain up outside of blizzard conditions on regular roads and highways. I understand the snow was falling fast and heavy. I think they did a great job removing it during the storm. But then that's where the ball was dropped, IMO. The ice ruts and treacherous conditions for days on end were absolutely terrible. I never had to rely on winter tires in CO, but I'm beginning to think I'm going to have to spend the money here since we don't plow the roads. Makes me sad for the folks who truly cannot afford another set of tires. They are forced to walk, and then deal with sidewalks not being shoveled, or no sidewalks at all, like many of our streets, and then trying to walk in the street. Another dangerous issue.
This is indeed a big problem. I have a 4x4 vehicle and winter tires so I was able to get around alright, but no amount of 4x4 is going to save you from road conditions akin to an ice skating rink.

With 4x4 and good tires you can get going, but can you stop quickly? Heck no. That is a very dangerous situation for the pedestrians. I was also concerned for the kids waiting for school busses halfway into the road because of the improper snow/ice maintenance.

Like many people in the area, I'm no stranger to winter weather, but Central Oregon is the only place in the country I've been in that seems to be so unprepared for it, despite being a place that everyone knows will get weather like this every year. Ie: Bozeman, MT, a town very similar to Bend; they handle their snow quite well.

It's a fairly simple fix - you keep plowing after the start of the snow and you keep plows going until it stops. That way, you've only got a small amount of packed snow on the roadways to freeze. The sun will melt 1/2 inch of ice on the roads. It will not melt 3 inches.

Old 12-04-2015, 11:20 PM

2,542 posts, read 4,002,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Ie: Bozeman, MT, a town very similar to Bend; they handle their snow quite well.
Bozeman is reported as averaging 85" per year. Significantly more than Bend so they require a larger investment in snow removal.

Old 12-07-2015, 10:53 PM

35 posts, read 44,701 times
My husband does the driving in the snow/ice. I won't drive in snow unless it's an emergency, although I used to be a skier, so I am familiar with both ice and snow. I will drive in snow, but I'll do anything to avoid ice.

My husband grew up in New Hampshire. He said the ice in Bend is terrible and they don't plow as often as they should. If a guy from snowy New Hampshire can't drive in this mess, think how difficult it will be for all the southern California transplants who freak out when it rains.

I'm all for being a squeaky wheel. What's the best way to complain? Give me ideas: Bend Bulletin, city hall, DOT, state patrol, city cops, city hall, protest march, all of the above?

I know my husband can drive on ice about as well as anyone, but ice is ice. Chains and snow tires can only do so much. Give me ideas. I hope all of you will send emails to appropriate government officials... whatever you think will work. This is absurd. We live on top of a mountain... sort of... it's like living in Switzerland... but without adequate measures for dealing with snow.

Tina ps I am a transplant from Seattle, but I've lived in Orange County, California. I am not singling out people from So Cal. I'm using California as a point of reference because I have some familiarity with it. People from Seattle can't drive in snow, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend