Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 03:53 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,658,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusky21 View Post
So for you guys who have lived in Colorado, would you say this is a correct analysis? Redmond is to Bend, what Longmont is to Boulder? Thats kind of what it seems like to me. Is there much in between? Are there any bike trails, restaurants, breweries, etc. in Redmond? Or would you have to drive to Bend for that?

Ill definately make the drive up to Redmond when we are there to have a look!
I'd say that's a fairly good comparison. Redmond is growing and there are a few breweries there now. Silvermoon just opened their second pub up in Redmond. I will admit, I don't know much about Redmond other than driving through it to get elsewhere. But, I did meet a colleague up there last year at a cute coffee shop downtown. I can see tremendous potential with Redmond in terms of livability. There are plenty of hiking and biking trails that way as well. More open desert than pine treed, but great for spring/fall and even winter riding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 04:56 PM

32,509 posts, read 47,530,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusky21 View Post
So for you guys who have lived in Colorado, would you say this is a correct analysis? Redmond is to Bend, what Longmont is to Boulder? Thats kind of what it seems like to me. Is there much in between? Are there any bike trails, restaurants, breweries, etc. in Redmond? Or would you have to drive to Bend for that? .........
I have no idea about the Colorado comparison. Redmond is developing. There are good restaurants, at least one popular brewery (I don't drink beer, so there might be more. I just drive by one and they have a lot of customers). Basic shopping like grocery shopping is good. There is a decent hospital which is a branch office of St Charles

There are some community events, but Bend is the best place for those. Redmond is close enough to sisters to be near good hiking and snowmobile trails. It's an easy drive to fishing.

Real estate and rent are noticeably cheaper.

Redmond is a patriotic place and lines the highway with flags on holidays.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:43 AM

740 posts, read 1,243,111 times
Well, the big difference is that Redmond, unlike Boulder, is not a college town, which changes the flavor. Redmond is a few degrees warmer and a bit drier than Bend. Often we don't see the rain and snow that Bend gets just a few miles away. You are further away from skiing but closer to Smith Rock State Park and Sisters, as mentioned. I'm not necessarily a Redmond booster, but it has some advantages over it's larger neighbor. Some say there's a meth problem here, which we haven't seen, although there are some areas of town I wouldn't wish to live in. My hobby is KAP - Kite Aerial Photography - and I've taken quite a few pictures of Redmond and surrounding area, some of which you can see in the photo thread. Here's one taken near my house, looking west.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:47 AM

There's a nice bike/hiking trail that runs through Dry Canyon for about 4 miles. I hear that people get bored with it quickly, however. Also bear in mind that, at 97,000 people, Boulder itself is larger than Bend.

Old 06-08-2016, 12:23 PM

10,012 posts, read 7,155,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coniferian View Post
Well, the big difference is that Redmond, unlike Boulder, is not a college town, which changes the flavor. Redmond is a few degrees warmer and a bit drier than Bend. Often we don't see the rain and snow that Bend gets just a few miles away. You are further away from skiing but closer to Smith Rock State Park and Sisters, as mentioned. I'm not necessarily a Redmond booster, but it has some advantages over it's larger neighbor. Some say there's a meth problem here, which we haven't seen, although there are some areas of town I wouldn't wish to live in. My hobby is KAP - Kite Aerial Photography - and I've taken quite a few pictures of Redmond and surrounding area, some of which you can see in the photo thread. Here's one taken near my house, looking west.
The meth problem is there but my sense is that it's diminishing. In general the poorer population in Redmond is slowly but surely getting gentrified out.

I've seen it in my neighborhood, the south part of Redmond, which is becoming popular because of easy access to 97 and Bend. In the past few years the houses around me have gone from housing farm workers & lower end blue collar folks to... well people that can afford the 70-90% increase in rents since circa 2012-13. The farm workers from what I understand moved to Madras.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:47 AM

The house we bought is probably assessed at $100K more than it was 5 years ago, so rising property taxes take their toll. I kinda wish the house behind me would get gentrified. Nice, neat neighborhood and the guy has a hot tub, shed, big RV, grill, boat, snowmobile on a trailer, playset, lobster traps and 2 dogs wedged into a tiny backyard.

Old 06-14-2016, 07:53 PM

681 posts, read 1,039,521 times
How about $15/hr on a single income?

Old 06-15-2016, 01:43 AM

213 posts, read 520,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualErik View Post
How about $15/hr on a single income?
In Bend? No, you'd have to have roommates.

If you're willing to drive to Prineville, maybe. Even Redmond it would be tough to find something affordable sans roommates. If you have good credit, it's actually more affordable to buy a house at this point, but you're going to be looking in Madras and Prineville for those homes. You may find something in La Pine or Oregon Water Wonderland, but it won't be easy.

Old 06-19-2016, 12:12 PM

17 posts, read 40,619 times
Bends economy seems to be doing quite well. There are hiring signs all over(every fast food joint) which tells me that people are either leaving their jobs there for better, or maybe just a seasonal thing. Not sure, I've only been here a year.

To me, living in a outer city is kind of settling for second or third best. We rent right now cause home costs are super inflated(30% or so). Homes that come on the market for $250k often sell in a feeding frenzy for over $300k. There are signs that i see that there will be another bubble burst if things stay on the course they are on. Housing is priced beyond the means of the people that actually live here, relatively easy lending, household debt at an all time high........

We rent in the NE end of town in a fantastic neighborhood called Lava Ridges. Couldn't be happier. Beware, people in Bend are snobby fitness freaks, filthy rich, and hold their noses pretty high. Its funny there is an East side and West side, and you can really tell which side someone is from if you're observant.

One thing that blows my mind, is the homes that are shooting up everywhere. They're all in the $300-$400k range. What people need here are the $300 and less. If Bend experiences another bubble burst I would move here on a dime. Right now its a gamble. You may be on the outside looking in at a good thing, and unless you win the lottery, or your rich uncle dies, you won't be getting in.

Old 06-19-2016, 02:14 PM

2,542 posts, read 3,981,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikalalnr View Post
Bends economy seems to be doing quite well. There are hiring signs all over(every fast food joint) which tells me that people are either leaving their jobs there for better, or maybe just a seasonal thing. Not sure, I've only been here a year.
The service industry has a high turnover rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend