Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 08:57 AM

2,542 posts, read 3,983,281 times

Advertisements

The NOAA model forecasting double digit negatives by the next the middle of next week.

Quote:
Wednesday Night A slight chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around -16.
National Weather Service - Bend, OR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2017, 11:24 AM

24 degrees and an inch of snow on the ground with more snow in the forecast.

Old 01-02-2017, 07:13 AM

Another chilly morning with a dusting of snow overnight. NOAA forecasting snow all week. Winter is here in a big way!

Old 01-03-2017, 08:29 AM

10 degrees this AM with about 5" of new snow since Sunday night. The forecast calls for significant accumulation through Wednesday.

NOAA storm model is currently forecasting up to an additional 17".

Quote:
Today - Scattered snow showers before 5pm, then snow likely after 5pm. Cloudy, with a high near 15. Wind chill values as low as -3. North wind around 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.
Tonight - Snow. Low around 10. Wind chill values as low as -2. Northwest wind around 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.
Wednesday - Snow. High near 13. Wind chill values as low as -1. Northwest wind around 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.
The forecast often changes as the storm develops so I recheck the NOAA website before traveling to avoid any surprises. The roads were already slick so expect more slipping and sliding out there.

Old 01-04-2017, 08:11 AM

32,514 posts, read 47,553,130 times
I just spoke to someone who had a wheel, tire, and suspension ruined by hitting a low curb on a round about that was completely concealed by snow.

When Bend went around the city putting in low curbs, on dividers, on round about, and in those very strange areas that jut out into the road for no reason that I can see, I kept saying, those are going to be a real hazard as soon as we get some snow. 4 inches of snow and you won't be able to see that curb and it is going to hurt to hit it at 25-30 mph.

So, take care when driving in bend in areas you don't know well, especially when there is snow and you are the first to drive through the area.

There are these very odd areas on the road, especially in SW Bend that are raised with a curb, They stick out into the road further than a car would and covering about the area of one parking space. There are sometimes two of them on opposite sides of the street, narrowing the street to nearly one lane. Some of them are on through roads where not all traffic is local. It's going to hurt to hit one of those that is buried with snow and concealed.

Old 01-04-2017, 09:10 AM

811 posts, read 1,053,652 times
Those bump outs are supposed to increase pedestrian safety. I hate those for a number of reasons.
Hiding in the snow is definitely a reason to hate this feature. Another is it shoves cyclists right in front of cars at the choke points, breaking up the flow of traffic for cyclists and cars and creating a hazard for the cyclists. Frankly, as a pedestrian, I don't feel any safer standing on a jetty, hanging out in traffic.
They might be a good thing for panhandlers though?

Undoubtedly developed in some area of the country without bicycles or snow.

Not sure how to rationalize the low curbs. Saving cost on materials?

10 degreesF at 8am where I am in Bend. Windchill quite a bit lower. I cleared about 4 inches of snow yesterday, and I can't even tell where the driveway is this morning, with horizontal snow falling and snow predicted for most of the day. Its going to be a two times shoveling kind of day, I suspect. At least there is no problem getting plenty of exercise on snow days.

My studded snow tires, that I finally ordered, were delayed due to holiday and weather. Oh the irony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I just spoke to someone who had a wheel, tire, and suspension ruined by hitting a low curb on a round about that was completely concealed by snow.

When Bend went around the city putting in low curbs, on dividers, on round about, and in those very strange areas that jut out into the road for no reason that I can see, I kept saying, those are going to be a real hazard as soon as we get some snow. 4 inches of snow and you won't be able to see that curb and it is going to hurt to hit it at 25-30 mph.

So, take care when driving in bend in areas you don't know well, especially when there is snow and you are the first to drive through the area.

There are these very odd areas on the road, especially in SW Bend that are raised with a curb, They stick out into the road further than a car would and covering about the area of one parking space. There are sometimes two of them on opposite sides of the street, narrowing the street to nearly one lane. Some of them are on through roads where not all traffic is local. It's going to hurt to hit one of those that is buried with snow and concealed.

Old 01-04-2017, 11:28 AM

6 degrees at 6am. Drank a cup of coffee and got to work. With all the drifting it is difficult to say how much fell but it measured 8"-24" with a few spots thigh deep. Made for a long morning of shoveling but it was cold and dry snow so it could have been worse!

Old 01-04-2017, 02:17 PM

740 posts, read 1,243,844 times
With the up to 15 mph wind here in Redmond we had some pretty deep drifts. They've been plowing the main streets regularly and I just saw a grader take a couple passes on our cul de sac. I don't have to go anywhere so I'll wait until tomorrow to shovel the driveway, since it's still coming down.

Old 01-04-2017, 03:28 PM

740 posts, read 1,243,844 times
And after the plow did our cul de sac, a frontend loader did the cleanup. Then a neighbor with a snowblower did all the walks and driveways. I never had to lift a shovel. Redmond is great!

Old 01-04-2017, 08:28 PM

811 posts, read 1,053,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coniferian View Post
And after the plow did our cul de sac, a frontend loader did the cleanup. Then a neighbor with a snowblower did all the walks and driveways. I never had to lift a shovel. Redmond is great!
Definite plus for Redmond!
Bend blew its snow removal budget on the first storm, and we got one narrow pass of the plow at the end of that, down our street, leaving a plowing mound in front of the driveways.

No sign of any plowing this time. Car bumpers are the only plowing happening, High clearance AWD cars struggling to make it down the street, straddling the snow strips. Between yesterday and today, about 17 inches of snow on the residential streets in my neighborhood.

I scraped out a launching pad on the street in front of my house so I can back out, stop and get going forward without getting stuck. One other person down the street did the same. But at age 64 I can't clear the entire block by myself with a hand push scoop.

Sidewalks are clear on most of my block, per legal requirements of Bend though. Most of the neighbors do pretty well with that.

Temp in Bend is currently 5degF
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend