Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 11:33 AM

13 posts, read 16,458 times

Advertisements

Looking to relocate from a very overcrowded, overrun, rude, and expensive Seattle suburb of North Bend this summer. I'm retired, however, will work PT to supplement my income. West is obviously very expensive for housing, but wondering if there is a viable alternative =location for me to consider? Sounds like the west has the river and trails, as well as the trendier amenities? Trendy reallymeans nothing to me, however, I want a reasonable walking distance to river trail (within a couple mi), views, larger trees vs junipers, and a relaxed atmosphere without having to dodge mass cars and intersections when walking my friendly doxies. It sounds like my current location as well as Bend are on same pace of growth, beauty, and cost of housing. I'm just looking for a friendlier atmosphere as well as some sun and a new home...

Last edited by hollybear59; 03-12-2017 at 11:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 10:46 PM

811 posts, read 1,060,672 times
what is your house budget, and how large of a house/lot are you looking for? Or are you looking at apartments? Those details might narrow down the search or get ideas going.

Old 03-13-2017, 08:10 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Deschutes River Woods, at least the far end of it, is within a couple of miles of river walking trails. Depending upon whether you define Westside as west of the river or west of the highway. That's a relatively less expensive area. Generally, though, close to the river is going to be high priced.

Some parts of the east side are close to irrigation canals and those all have maintenance roads next to them, for walks along flowing water.

Really, it is difficult to make recommendations without knowing your housing preferences and budget. If you want an apartment, you are pretty much limited to the east side. There are apartments around the college, and a few smaller buildings scattered around the west side, but most apartment buildings are on the east side of town.

Don't be surprised to find that traffic is very heavy in Bend. You won't have to park on the freeway, but there are very few roads that go all the way from one end of town to the other and that concentrates traffic.

Old 03-26-2017, 01:30 PM

Thanks for all your replies, much appreciated. House budget at tops is about 415k.Sq footage at 1500-2000, however prefer a rambler over two stories. Have always had a large lot or acreage, however, this time a small lot is perfect. Close to river trails is most desired as I don't like concrete or asphalt for walking much due to knees.

Old 03-26-2017, 11:52 PM

$325k can get you something close to parks, one level, NW Bend.

I must say, my wife and I enjoy the sunshine after decades in the Pacific Northwet.

In addition to all the close-in parks mentioned in your other thread, Riley ranch preserve is going to be opened up a stone's throw away from the above linked listing.

Jobs....that's an issue though.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:17 AM

Thank you. Looks pretty good for the price, although I worry, since Id be moving from a completely remodeled rambler to inc high end roof to potentionally homes that will need the exact same thing in a few years? I'm not a trendy person nor a golfer, however I like new with a great quality builder, so it's going to limit me. I'm also done with larger yards,even though I have two miniature dachshunds, so smaller is better. I think the key location will be close to Deschutes River trails and a few parks....no wanting highway noise nor retail noise.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:27 AM

New Construction, high quality builder, great location, walking distance to recreation, no ambient noise.
Your expectations are understandable, but Bend is not cheap for that list.
You are likely looking at $650k and easily up, for a small single level place matching that list.
And with new construction, you have to budget for landscaping, HOA fees, and things the builder didn't put in for storage and organization. You will have bare dirt and usually the HOA will have specific requirements for landscaping.
And anything new within the Urban Growth Boundary will be a small lot.

We compromised. We found new construction about 2 years ago for $325K, dumped in about $20k in hardscaping and landscaping(that is cheap). The place would now sell for $400k or a bit over, and its a single level 2000 sq ft house on a tiny lot(we love having a tiny lot). Builder is a cheap and crappy builder, we get faint traffic noise drifting over from 97. It is a transitional area between fancy $$$ houses and commercial zoning, but with low traffic and great access to recreation. Its also close to the main sheriffs headquarters, county jail, and Juvenile detention. We consider it highly secure area since no perp wants to hang around the sheriff/jail area when released(they head downtown), and since its a rare bit of affordable NW Bend, we have plenty of cops living in the neighborhood, which is certainly good for security.

Remind me again why you are moving from North Bend........

Old 03-27-2017, 04:44 PM

2 posts, read 2,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollybear59 View Post
Thank you. Looks pretty good for the price, although I worry, since Id be moving from a completely remodeled rambler to inc high end roof to potentionally homes that will need the exact same thing in a few years? I'm not a trendy person nor a golfer, however I like new with a great quality builder, so it's going to limit me. I'm also done with larger yards,even though I have two miniature dachshunds, so smaller is better. I think the key location will be close to Deschutes River trails and a few parks....no wanting highway noise nor retail noise.
You might want to take a look at a development called Mirada Franklin Brothers Homes - Mirada

We just bought a home there in early February. Here is a link to a home very similar to the one we bought. It meets a number of your criteria:

New home
Quality builder
Small yard (front landscaping is included in home price and maintained via $75 HOA fee)
Some one story homes, but most are two story
1.2 miles from Deschutes River
1/2 mile from Pine Nursery Park (wonderful, large park with many amenities)
New 4 acre park being built in the middle of the development of about 250 homes (Eagle Park)
No retail or highway noise
Minimal traffic compared to many areas we saw.
Pricing runs roughly from $315K to $380K. Current pricing for our 2 story, 1904 SF home is about $348K. Not a stripper home, the base price includes many amenities that are extra on other homes.

There is a lot to like about this development.

Good luck in your research.

Bill

Old 04-01-2017, 11:12 AM

Thank you so much. It's appearing Bend is as over inflated as Seattle Metro area is! Unfortunately, they are both on about the same pace for sales, and housing prices may almost be a wash, depending on location? Trying to give up my serene location, minus the over population and horrible traffic, may only afford me housing adj to RR tracks, and in my mind, a huge step back, unless it only runs during the day.....lol

Old 04-01-2017, 11:36 AM

2,070 posts, read 2,382,070 times
There are a few homes available in the low 400's in Westside Meadows near Shevlin Park. The homes were built in the early 2000's so will not meet your criteria for new. But Shevlin Park is less than 2 miles away and is a huge park with large trees, mostly undeveloped, with trails along Tumalo Creek. If you want more remote and westside, this might be a better choice than close to the river in town. The homes are close to Shevlin Park road though so that could be a noise concern.

Last edited by ABQ2015; 04-01-2017 at 11:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend