Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 12:57 PM

722 posts, read 1,353,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
According to this article 9/11 was an inside job: 9/11 Inside Job

The point, Snownut isn't and wasn't claiming what that article stated in any shape or form.

I do agree, though. Winter-like weather does drag on in the spring, but if you like winter sports that could be a huge bonus. <~~People like me!
Thank you kapetrich,

I was simply posting my personal data observations for this year.

It appears now with 144 days left in this year Bend will have 255-275 days with partly (a few hours of blue sky and sun, my criteria) to mostly sunny or full sunny skies this year, not Chamber numbers but plenty more than I would need to be weather happy.

I have repeatedly written though it is about cold and dryness compared to where I live now that I am seeking weather wise.

Anyone moving to Bend for it's abundance of warm sunny weather will probably be disappointed unless they are moving from a cold northern region?

As for winter snow sports in Bend region compared to the middle atlantic? Well that is not even fair to
compare. Wet corn snow skiing in May? Thanksgiving skiing? Not an option here! Not to mention I will be able to drive and hike to a snow field every month of the year when I live in Bend. That is pretty cool for a snow lover!

I have spoken about various subject far beyond weather with many (on my plane rides and visits) who have relocated to Bend. All of them like Bend compared to where they moved from and no one was wanting to move to where I live ! Some talked about enjoying vacations to warm sunny places yet Bend is their preferred home.

Obviously there are some who are disappointed and they sometimes complain and whine the most. The population trends make it clear the likes out number the dislikes.

Bend Local, Sorry the weather is so poor for you, maybe you should be exploring better locations for the weather you like? Or maybe the other cool things about Bend make dealing with the weather ok?

Last edited by Snownut; 08-09-2013 at 01:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 01:22 PM

2,542 posts, read 4,001,439 times
Wasn't it already established in another thread that this year has had an above average number of good days? Taking an average over 10 or 20 years will give a better view of what to expect.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:18 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,820,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
1 - I enjoy cold winter weather and snowsports
2 - IMO Bend's weather during the fall/winter/spring is so-so or sucks, depending on the year

According to this article Bend gets almost 300 days of sun per year?

Weather | Bend, Oregon Chamber
Yes there are a ton of Chamber of Commerce sites that claim various places in Oregon get 300 days of sun a year. It is a flat-out lie. Nowhere in Oregon gets 300 days of sun, not even close -not even if you use the "the sun peeked out for 30 seconds" rule.

Most weather sites agree to the following number of days of sun (90% of the sky clear) or part sun (40% of the sky clear):
Portland: 144
Bend: 162
Medford: 198
Klamath Falls: 218 (haven't seen an Oregon city with more days than this)

note how wide that "part sun" definition is. But, to me, if there is an hour or two of sun/part sun, I am a happy camper. It's continuous days of overcast I don't like.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Yes there are a ton of Chamber of Commerce sites that claim various places in Oregon get 300 days of sun a year. It is a flat-out lie. Nowhere in Oregon gets 300 days of sun, not even close -not even if you use the "the sun peeked out for 30 seconds" rule.

Most weather sites agree to the following number of days of sun (90% of the sky clear) or part sun (40% of the sky clear):
Portland: 144
Bend: 162
Medford: 198
Klamath Falls: 218 (haven't seen an Oregon city with more days than this)

note how wide that "part sun" definition is. But, to me, if there is an hour or two of sun/part sun, I am a happy camper. It's continuous days of overcast I don't like.

I am totally with you and that is what I think makes Bend so different from the Cities like Portland west of the Cascades. Portland = continuous overcast, often with rain or drizzle and many of those same days Bend may have lots of clouds too but no rain or snow and an hour or two with sun/part sun. Huge difference if you like dry and brighter sky.

The reputation of Oregon from everyone here I talk with about my plans to move to Bend are always the same. Why would you want to move to such a rainy place? They just look confused when I tell them where I am moving gets 20-30% of the annual rain of this part of VA, we also have plenty of "Portland" days with heavy low clouds and rain or drizzle.

Makes me think about all of the things that are assumed wrong about places without doing the proper research.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:28 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,820,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownut View Post
[/b] I am totally with you and that is what I think makes Bend so different from the Cities like Portland west of the Cascades. Portland = continuous overcast, often with rain or drizzle and many of those same days Bend may have lots of clouds too but no rain or snow and an hour or two with sun/part sun. Huge difference if you like dry and brighter sky.

The reputation of Oregon from everyone here I talk with about my plans to move to Bend are always the same. Why would you want to move to such a rainy place? They just look confused when I tell them where I am moving gets 20-30% of the annual rain of this part of VA, we also have plenty of "Portland" days with heavy low clouds and rain or drizzle.

Makes me think about all of the things that are assumed wrong about places without doing the proper research.
Since Oregon has but one big city, it is pretty common for people to think Portland=Oregon. And by "Portland" here, you really mean the Willamette Valley (the population center of Oregon) in general. Depending on who you talk to, the climate regions are:

https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-...ed=0CC8Q8gEwAA

1. The North and South Coast (although the weather is pretty similar north to south, it just gets a bit drier as you go south). Rare frosts, freezes possible but not likely. Warmish to cool summers (60s, occasional 70s). Snow in the passes of the Coast Range between the inland valleys and the coast. We get lots of requests from new CD posters looking for a town near both the population centers in the Willamette Valley and the coast - the Coast Range means that there really aren't any. USDA zones 8b-9b.

2. The Willamette Valley (Vancouver to Eugene, pretty much), the typical climate that people think of when they think "Oregon" - cool, misty, cloudy winters with a dry warm summer (highs 80s, low 90s, although it can touch 100). Occasional frosts, minor snow and freezes in winter. USDA zones 8a-8b (some little 9a microclimates). Supplies the majority of Oregon's produce, seeds, flowers, wine grapes.

3. Southern Oregon (Grants Pass south to the California border - the Rogue Valley. And that's Rogue not Rouge, as I frequently see it) - shorter cool rainy winter, very hot summers (highs 90s, occasional 100s). Frosts and occasional freezes in winter. USDA zones 8a-8b.

4. Central Oregon (Redmond - Bend - LaPine - Sisters - Prineville) - long colder winters, low rainfall, occasional snow in winter. Hard freezes and frosts in winter. Relatively mild but very dry summers (high 80s-90s). USDA zones 5b-6a.

5. Eastern Oregon (everything east of the Cascades that isn't in Central Oregon). This is really too broad a category, but in general - long cold winters with snow, moderately warm summers (high 80s-90). Elevations from 2,000-4,500 feet. Colder areas in the mountains (the Blues, the Wallowas), some warmer pockets here and there, particularly around Klamath Falls and the stretch of land along the Columbia River (The Dalles to Pendelton). USDA zones 4a-6b.

5. The Cascades (the north-south mountain range the divides "wetter" Oregon from "drier" Oregon). Cold, very snowy winters. Gorgeous summers and falls. Mosquitoes in spring.

Oregon Interactive USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map

Old 08-19-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
How much time have you spent in Bend during the winter?
I haven't yet. My sources: reading PNW climate book, comparing the conflicting data on the internet and looking at years of webcam archives in Bend and Portland. (very easy to do on weather underground site) Talking with lots of locals during summer visits I have had wonderful "non chamber of commerce" reviews. Reading through the page after page of "sun in Bend threads" on the forum.

Honestly the best source is from several people that moved to Bend from the Middle Atlantic region, can't get any better than that for people that knows what it is like here and there.

The biggest source I have found complaining about the 9 straight months of clouds in Bend are on this forum and the "bend suxs" blog page.

One person I spoke with on my last trip moved to Bend from Portland 5 years ago and has loved it. They moved because they "couldn't take the clouds and rain in Portland". Their exact words. From your perspective I guess they have been there for an unusual 5 years ?

You have said I need to look for the 10 to 20 year averages. The family on the plane making their first visit to the East Coast in more than 20 years that has lived in Bend for almost 17 years loves the weather in Bend.

How long have you lived in Bend? Seems you consider it a very cloudy place with bad weather most of the year?

All that aside I have said countless time though I am not moving to Bend for the sunshine, even though so far it appears to have more sun than where I live now but for the dry climate and other things Bend offers that are very different from the rural countryside of VA.

Last edited by Snownut; 08-19-2013 at 01:55 PM..

Old 08-19-2013, 01:54 PM

I have lived in the Mid Atlantic. IMO Bend summers are more pleasant if shorter, but the winters are longer without much of a spring or fall. Even the hardcore snow sports enthusiasts I know are happy when summer finally starts.

It sounds like you are expecting many partly sunny days during the winter. Not an uncommon expectation for some reason.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
I have lived in the Mid Atlantic. IMO Bend summers are more pleasant if shorter, but the winters are longer without much of a spring or fall. Even the hardcore snow sports enthusiasts I know are happy when summer finally starts.

It sounds like you are expecting many partly sunny days during the winter. Not an uncommon expectation for some reason.
I expect more (guess 15-30 over a year) partly sunny days than Portland region. And more partly sunny than the winters in the WV mountains where I spent a great deal of time for the past 7 years.

Otherwise sounds mostly like what I expect, though many I have spoken with say their favorite time of year is September October because tourist crowds are gone and decent number of pleasantly warm days.

Still wondering how long you have lived in Bend? How long and where you lived in the MA?

Always curious about perspective and where someone moved from.

I do trust the longer perspectives more than the "new bendites" which is much of the population as so many have moved to awful Bend in the past 10 years

Old 08-19-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
I expect more (guess 15-30 over a year) partly sunny days than Portland region.
Instead compare to other high plains desert regions.

Quote:
I do trust the longer perspectives more than the "new bendites" which is much of the population as so many have moved to awful Bend in the past 10 years
Have you seen this page?

Bend Sux: Bulletin Confirms: Bend Climate Sucks

Old 08-19-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Instead compare to other high plains desert regions.

I think Bend would have more clouds than most high plains because it is so close to other climate zones

Have you seen this page?

Bend Sux: Bulletin Confirms: Bend Climate Sucks
yes I referenced that a couple posts ago? and you have posted that link before. He is like the chamber of commerce paradox. Bend is the worst place in America ! It is so awful people keep wanting to move there so they can suffer too.

Still waiting for the simplest answers of the day.

How long have you lived in Bend? Where and how long did you live in the MA? Without those answers I have no trust reference of your perspective? Who knows you could be the "bendsuxs" blogger incognito.... ????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend